| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Can't login to Paltalk anymore
DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2010 5:17 am    

I'm running winxp home edition on my desktop sys. and everything was working fine until my power supply went out. I replaced it and now I can't login in to paltalk, a program I use for contacting Indie radio DJ's. I have run every virus scan I can but they all say No Viruses found. I used registry repair but still no login. I'm using AVG for internet protection but still can't log back in. I'm also using Bellsouth wireless conection that I like. I can login using my wifes laptop but I'm legally blind and I have a hard time seeing the screen. I really need help with this!! Denny Fast
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2010 2:19 pm    

You're not getting much help here, Denny. I've never used PalTalk, but I'd try deleting the old version and then downloading the newest version from their site.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2010 4:57 am     paltalk

Thnx Cal, I didn't think anybody would know about Paltalk but I thought I'd give it a try. Come to find out, My pc was loaded with viruses from paltalk, that was before I started using AVG. I found a program that did a good job of talkng the viruses off so now I gotta check out paltalk and see if it works!!! Thnx again Cal!!
Allan Munro

Pennsylvania, USA and Scotland
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2010 8:35 pm    

PalTalk is right up at the top of the list for viral infection. Be sure that you never use it without some sort of virus trap working. Be sure the IM part of the firewall is turned on too.
That said, I like PalTalk. I go in the trivia area most of the time and haven't had a problem since I started using McAfee AV software.

Allan.....

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 7:55 am     thnx Allan

Thnx for the info Allan, I still can't login to paltalk using this pc. Now I'm tryin' to get my floppy drive A to work but no luck. The drive shows up in my computer but when I load a disk, it says to insert the disk! It's already in there!! The floppy drive does work cause it was workin in my wifes pc. Can't figure this one out either, I'm getting brain dead from it. It is a AMD mother board and running winxp home edition. It just won't read the disk! Oh well..Thnx again!
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 8:41 am    

Unless it's a hardware problem it sounds like you need to reformat the drive and reinstall WIndows from the Windows install disk, or from the recovery partition if you have one on this comp. A lot of work, but sometimes it's the only way to get back to normal. I'd be leery about reinstalling PalTalk. There are other programs available that are safer. Read the user reviews here: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/paltalk.com
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2010 8:50 am     Re: thnx Allan

DennyFast wrote:
Thnx for the info Allan, I still can't login to paltalk using this pc. Now I'm tryin' to get my floppy drive A to work but no luck. The drive shows up in my computer but when I load a disk, it says to insert the disk! It's already in there!! The floppy drive does work cause it was workin in my wifes pc. Can't figure this one out either, I'm getting brain dead from it. It is a AMD mother board and running winxp home edition. It just won't read the disk! Oh well..Thnx again!

Sometimes a floppy disk will not be readable on a different machine than it was recorded on. This is due to head alignment issues. Also, floppy diskettes are magnetic media and lose their magnetism over time. If the boot sector of a diskette becomes partially demagnetized the disk is unreadable.

Finally, try placing the long snout attachment of a vacuum cleaner into the slot on the floppy drive. Dust will cause read errors.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 4:50 am     thnx

Thnx everybody for trying to help me, the reason I'm trying to get Floppy drive A to work is to get rid of the virus I picked up in Paltalk. I have a program a good friend and pc expert gave me to erase my hard drive and reinstall winxp. I'm not sure if I have a virus cause the pc is workin great except for not logging into PT. I need to stay in touch with the indie DJ's and that's where their at. I'm trying something new today..Mountvol.exe "If I can figure it out" You can delete A drive and reinstall it. I'll let you know how it came out!
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 7:33 am     Re: thnx

DennyFast wrote:
Thnx everybody for trying to help me, the reason I'm trying to get Floppy drive A to work is to get rid of the virus I picked up in Paltalk. I have a program a good friend and pc expert gave me to erase my hard drive and reinstall winxp. I'm not sure if I have a virus cause the pc is workin great except for not logging into PT. I need to stay in touch with the indie DJ's and that's where their at. I'm trying something new today..Mountvol.exe "If I can figure it out" You can delete A drive and reinstall it. I'll let you know how it came out!

You are throwing out the baby with the bath water! You don't know that you have a virus in your PC, yet you are going to try to wipe the hard drive clean, using an unapproved method, then reinstall everything. All because one single program has stopped working.

Could there be problem with the software version of Paltalk? Perhaps a recent Windows Update rendered it inoperable. In that case they will release an updated version that does work.

If you pursue the path you are about to take you will have to reinstall Windows from scratch, then follow this process:

1. Activate Windows, possibly over the phone, to get into the new Windows Desktop
  2. Install all of the drivers for the motherboard and attached devices
  3. Run Windows Update as many times as necessary to obtain all available security patches
  4. Install anti-virus and anti-spyware software
  5. Install all programs you use
  6. Setup browsers and usernames/passwords to all websites requiring login credentials
  7. Setup email accounts from scratch

In this process, unless you first save all of your personal data files, email messages and accounts, cookies, logins, image and media files and data files created by productivity programs you use, everything of these types will be lost. You will need to recreate everything, or re-download media files and photos, if they are still available.

Regarding activating Windows, if the Windows operating system disk you use to reinstall the OS does not contain the activation code key, as most don't, you are going to have to phone Microsoft and read the product key to them, then type in a 52 character activation code as it is read to you, over the phone. Even if the install disk contains that code (as does Dell & eMachines), unless the motherboard drivers are first installed your onboard network adapter may not work. This will require the dreaded phone call to Microsoft to re-activate Windows. Until activated you may not even be able to get to the Windows Desktop (depending on your version of Windows on the install disk).

If you are using commercial versions of programs and you don't save copies of the setup files and registration codes you received, you will possibly need to purchase new licenses to use them again.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 3:29 pm     thnx Wiz

Your right, It's a pain in the butt to do all of the above you mentioned. So what I'm gonna do is connect my big monitor to the laptop and use it instead. Paltalk does work there and no viruses!!! I was trying to get around the laptop but it's the only thing that makes sense. It's not that I'm a dummy when it comes to pc's, I just always take the long way around and try to learn from it!Thnx again Wiz