| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Took a lesson from Mr. Buddy Charleton....
John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2010 3:34 pm    

I went out to Billy Cooper's and took a two hour lesson with Buddy Charleton yesterday.
I'm still a relative newbie to Pedal Steel, only have about three-four months under my belt. I was a bit nervous taking a lesson from such a legend!
But It was a great experience!
I feel as though my playing has already improved a lot.
Well, my tone and blocking has!
Mr. Charleton is a really nice guy and a great teacher.
He showed me all my newbie bad techniques and gave me lots of pointers.

I've been "self teaching" myself from books and DVD and such (first lap steel, for the past two years and now for a short time Pedal.) BUT..there is NOTHING like a real live teacher to point you in the right direction

So, if any newbies like me here are putting off seeking lessons from an experienced player...DON'T put it off, go take those lessons....
and if you can make it to Billy Cooper's in VA, then schedule a lesson and go there! Heck any trip to Billy Coopers is worth it just to see all those steel guitars he has..

I also picked up some of Billy Coopers' instructional stuff to work on. (His "A-11" and "Born To Loose" courses). Can't wait to dig into them. I plan on going back for more lessons soon, though.
Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2010 4:03 pm    

John, I retype my response to your post a dozen times. I realized I cannot put in words the respect I have for Buddy. He is a real champion to Steel Guitar people like us. I don't consider myself a master by no means but realize I owe him so much for being able to do what I do.
John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2010 4:25 pm    

Dave Diehl wrote:
John, I retype my response to your post a dozen times. I realized I cannot put in words the respect I have for Buddy. He is a real champion to Steel Guitar people like us. I don't consider myself a master by no means but realize I owe him so much for being able to do what I do.

I think I know what you mean. Half the time I was there I was thinking "I'm not Worthy!" the other half the time I was to engrossed in what he was teaching to think of anything else.
And just to watch him play a little after the lesson..
well..that was amazing! He played "Misty" on his C6 neck. It was really something to see and hear that close. Very inspirational.
wow!
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2010 6:49 pm    

John,

What an honor to take a lesson from a true legend like Buddy Charleton. You are a lucky man.

If you keep that kinda stuff up, I don't think you'll be a beginner for too much longer. Smile
Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2010 9:41 pm    

My family and I were on vacation touring Civil War battlefields last week and we spent a couple days in Manassas. Just being in Buddy's proximity really was a high for me, I can't think of anyone whom I respect more in terms of musical genius. Enough said.
John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2010 3:35 am    

Allan Jirik wrote:
My family and I were on vacation touring Civil War battlefields last week and we spent a couple days in Manassas. Just being in Buddy's proximity really was a high for me, I can't think of anyone whom I respect more in terms of musical genius. Enough said.

I hoped you enjoyed your visit to Manassas. The weather was excellent. The stone bridge area is real nice this time of year when the bluebells are in bloom.
-