| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin Owners: What P/U in your E9 neck?
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2010 10:39 am    

I recently acquired a Franklin SD10. It came with a GeorgeL p/u, which I believe is a humbucking style. Not sure of the model. Based on the condition of the p/u and the 2 previous owners, I'm assuming it's the original issue in this guitar.

Although I'm loving the mechanics and the feel of this guitar, I really don't think it's sounding as good as it could. (Hold those snide comments! Wink ) I believe this guitar was made in the mid 80s, it's serial #128. Would a p/u go bad in 25 years?

Now keeping in mind that "good" tone is subjective, I'm wondering what you other Franklin owners are using on your E9 neck. I would also be interested in what you've found if you've tried different p/us.

I believe many builders install particular p/u's at time of manufacture because they believe they sound best in their guitars. I figure Paul Sr. thought this was best.

Also, I'm using stainless strings and I know Paul Sr. recommends nickel. (I'll try nickel next string change).

Thoughts? Your experience?

Last edited by Brian McGaughey on 26 Mar 2010 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2010 11:21 am    

I have a late 81 model D-10 Franklin (S/N 65). It came with Bill Lawrence 705 pickups. I changed them to Bill Lawrence 710 picks 8 or 10 years ago. The sound is the same with either pickup - it still sounds like a Franklin. Paul has some of his guitars with 705's and some with 710's but you can't tell the difference in his recordings.

Paul (Sr) may have used some George L's as Bill Lawrence sold his half of L&L Sales to his partner George Lewis (George L's) and quit making steel guitar pickups for a long time. He got back into the steel guitar pickups with the introduction of the 710's. I don't know if the 710 is now the "stock" pickup in the Franklin's but I know Paul was (is) selling them.

My Franklin came with Bill Lawrence SS strings. And I continued with the George L's "Nashville Gauges" SS strings ever since he became the sole owner of L&L sales and started marketing strings with the George L's name. I've tried others (practically every brand) and go back to George L's. I now just use the George L's and am done experimenting.
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2010 11:45 am    

Thanks Jack. I knew you were a Franklin owner.

I like the 710 in my MSA. Funny that I bought of pair of 710s from a Canadian forumite who pulled them OUT of his Franklin and installed GeorgeLs. I've got one of the 710s setting right here and I think I'll give it a go.
Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2010 1:55 pm     705

I have the orig 705's n mine and would not change them. My Franklin was built in 1982.

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2010 2:18 pm    

I have Tonealigners on both necks and love then way they sound.
Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2010 4:14 pm    

My Franklin has 710s in both necks, Paul recommended them and I like them. Randles Franklin had PF s in it but he changed to 710 also.
Keith
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2010 9:20 pm    

On both necks, original Franklin single-coil pickups that were wound in the Franklins' kitchen. Although I'm a big fan of Lawrence pickups, these sound fantastic, and I would not consider changing them. I would highly recommend trying to find one, but there aren't a lot out there, to say the least.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2010 5:35 pm    

I tried 'stainless steel' strings one time bri, and i did not like them at all.
George L pick-ups are great also as you know, E66 is what i chose, noiseless and very bright and smooth.
If it helps what i said, but I dont own a Franklin, i'd like too one day!

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2010 7:34 pm    

Thank you all. Seems the 710 is pretty common. I've liked them before so I'll probably like it in the Franklin, too.

I had the tonealigners in my MSA for about 6 months Chris, a little too gritty for me, but man did it cut and blend well with the band.

I would have thought there were a few more regular posters who owned Franklins.

Keith, you'll get a kick out of this: FWIW, Randle is the one responsible for getting me into pedal steel 4 years back. I didn't know the first thing about them before that, nor really even care for them. His work with Brad Paisley caught my ear and wouldn't let go. I'm assuming he's your son, and I'm assuming you taught him well!
Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2010 10:18 pm    

Brian thanks for the kind words, and yes your right about Randle being my son, but as for the teaching part I think he has done more then I have.
Keith
Ulf Edlund

UmeƄ, Sweden
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 4:41 am    

I had George L PF1 (E9) and PFII (C6) in mine.
Switched to 710's before i sold it.
They all sounded just fine to my ears.
Curtis Mason

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 10:50 am    

Pickups are another one of those things that are a user preference...and overall sound is the SUM of your strings, pickup, amp, and even picks. You can change any of the above to change your tone to be more pleasing to your individual ears. I personally use the GeorgeL's Stainless strings, and the GeorgeL PF1 (Paul Franklin) pickup, it's a humbucker pickup however, the silky smooth highs are still present.

Olloix, France
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 11:25 pm    

Tonaligners on both necks for me. You can hear 'em on my myspace page. A choice I do not regret. My Franklin is #79 and was equipped with E66 when I bought it...too bright for my taste.
Gibson CG 520
http://www.myspace.com/lescoyotes63
http://www.myspace.com/steelguitarfred
Franklin

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2010 5:27 am    

Unless a guitar was ordered otherwise........It would have shipped with the Bill Lawrence pickup. There was a few years where Bill stopped producing pickups. During that short period we shipped using the George L PF series. My preference is the Bill Lawrence 710's or if you can find them the 705's.

Paul
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2010 9:24 am    

I prefer the Lawrence 705 on the C6th neck.