| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  youtube Lap Steel - iPod Nano video ---> Look --->
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 10:09 am    

I just picked up an iPod Nano 5g and it has video recording. The quality is fairly good, considering the device is so tiny! It's only about 3" long and as light as a feather.

I made a quick recording playing lap steel. It's far from perfect, but it gives you an idea of what I'm up to. The clip looks much clearer on my computer. On youtube it looks grainy, probably because their software enlarged it.

CLICK ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHnDsBIva4
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 10:24 am    

Pretty good quality for what it is. I enlarged the video on my computer and like you say it got just a tad grainy but I thought it still looked pretty good.
Josh Cho

New York, NY (orig. Honolulu, HI)
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 10:49 am     Nice video quality

Doug,

Your video recording quality is just as good as some of the other forum members who post on Youtube, and I would assume they're using "real" video cameras.

Pennsylvania, USA and Scotland
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 12:10 pm    

You have nothing to worry about as regards video quality or sound quality. That is amazing from such a small device. At YouTube default resolution it is as good as most on there and better than many.

Oh, playing was nice too! Smile Love your tone.

Regards, Allan.....

Television is the REAL opiate of the masses!
Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 1:13 pm    

Fantastic playing. Love the tune and the tone.
Steve Cunningham

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 1:48 pm    

Sounds great Doug - love the tone! Is that a Rogue?

YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/user/SingingStringsMusic?feature=mhee
Derek Barlas

Kanata, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 2:14 pm    

Nice video and great playing. Its amazing what they are packing into gadgets nowadays.
Chad Winn

Knoxville, TN
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 6:04 pm    

I bought one of these for my wife for christmas, and couldn't believe how cool it was.

Is the audio the built in mic? Sounds great! I rarely watch full videos, but I enjoyed yours to the end.

I also dig the iPod tuner & built in speaker. My 5th Gen died a few weeks ago - I think a Nano is in my future.

Thanks for posting-

C
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 6:58 pm    

Thanks, guys! Yes, it's a Rogue Jersey Lightning lap steel... a $199 cheapo directly into a 1970s Fender Princeton Reverb amp, no volume pedal, no effects other than the reverb in the amp. If I do more of these clips I think I need to crank the track up a bit. I've never owned any video equipment, so this is all new to me. I do like simplicity, and this is about as simple as it gets!

The video camera is the circle at the bottom left of the iPod. The MIC is the little tiny circle right above it! This is what I used to record the clip. This nano also has a small speaker, an FM receiver and a few other goodies... and it holds 4000 mp3s. They come in 8 gig or 16 gig. I got the 16. There a lot here for about $170.

One hassle I've encountered... the video files are mp4, which cannot be edited on a PC. So when I upload them to my PC I can watch them on the QuickTime player but I can't edit them (crop the beginning, the end, etc). I guess I could convert them to some other format and edit them. Or maybe this it the excuse I need to finally switch over to Mac!

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 30 Mar 2010 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 7:07 pm    

Doug, there is a free video editor here that edits mp4s: http://videopad-video-editor.en.softonic.com/images

I made my first clips with an old 8mm camera, than I used a little handheld digital camera that could take videos, until I finally got a few got miniDV cams. Your clip looks better than my old ones, just create a nice little workspace and you're good to go.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2010 7:13 pm    

Thanks, Mike.
Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2010 9:07 am    

Pretty impressive, Doug -- both the playing and the video. Thanks for posting.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos
Paul M. Matthews

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2010 7:53 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Thanks, guys! Yes, it's a Rogue Jersey Lightning lap steel... a $199 cheapo directly into a 1970s Fender Princeton Reverb amp, no volume pedal, no effects other than the reverb in the amp. If I do more of these clips I think I need to crank the track up a bit. I've never owned any video equipment, so this is all new to me. I do like simplicity, and this is about as simple as it gets!

The video camera is the circle at the bottom left of the iPod. The MIC is the little tiny circle right above it! This is what I used to record the clip. This nano also has a small speaker, an FM receiver and a few other goodies... and it holds 4000 mp3s. They come in 8 gig or 16 gig. I got the 16. There a lot here for about $170.

One hassle I've encountered... the video files are mp4, which cannot be edited on a PC. So when I upload them to my PC I can watch them on the QuickTime player but I can't edit them (crop the beginning, the end, etc). I guess I could convert them to some other format and edit them. Or maybe this it the excuse I need to finally switch over to Mac!

Doug,
I'm learning the info and songs from your 25 song C6 Lap Steel book on a Rogue Jersey Lightning also. For the money it is a great beginner LS. I'm having an 8 String LP built for me by "Music on the Mountain" (Melbert). I hope you put out a C6 LS book soon on Country songs and backup riffs...PLEASE!!! Love you contributions to the forum. Keep 'em Comin'

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2010 10:22 am    

Thanks Paul and Peter! Cool