| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  dating National lap steel - 1930s?
Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 3:16 pm    

First post. Any help in dating this National will be much appreciated. Lady who sold it to me in BC said it came from Quebec and was her grandfather's. Possibly 1930s according to family history.

However old it is, almost as-new condition and sounds beautiful. (Whups my Fender Champ, much as I love it.) Serial # T17968. White pearloid. All hardware and case appear to be original.

thanks,

Peter

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 3:46 pm    

1959 according to the serial number. Those string-though Valco pickups have a very beefy sound. It looks to be in great condition.
Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 4:07 pm    

Ha. Thanks for the speedy reply and info. So much for family history. Was a bit skeptical of same myself but it was love at first sight, regardless of the old girl's true age. Looked at a lot of old National pictures without seeing one like it. Given date of '59, I'm just a few years older than my two old lap steels so vintage too, I guess.
William Clark

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 8:44 pm    

I wouldn't throw her out of bed for eating crackers, even if the Champ gets jealous! Nice Fiddle! Bill
Mark Bracewell

Willow Glen, California
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 9:13 pm    

What a sweetie! Even the tuner buttons in good shape. That's a keeper indeed. 36frets, cool Cool
Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2010 9:36 pm    

Thanks, Bill. The National is now my designated open G lap steel. Feels like a lifetime find. The Champ is C6 and has replaced one I made the mistake of lending to a former musician friend with a cocaine problem. Or a girlfriend who took all of his musical instruments (including mine) to a pawn shop and bought a bus ticket out of town. You choose. Sad story either way.
Or a country song, maybe.