| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Showcase In Nashville with Con Hunley
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 4:49 pm    

I don't come to Nashville very often, but I will be doing a showcase on Friday, April 25th with Con Hunley who is one of the finest singers I have ever worked with. It will be at a club called the Trap and I think the show starts at 9:00 p.m. If anyone would like to come by, we would be glad to see you. I have never been to this club, but I was told it was close to the stadium.

Herby Wallace

------------------
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2003 6:45 pm    

That should be good. We had Herby at our show this year and he was great. Con Hunley as Herby's guest vocalist won't be bad either.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull,Evans SS200, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 4:39 pm    

Hard for me to understand why a singer in the class of Con Hunley has to showcase.Mans been there done that...O my mind goes to pieces........

------------------
CJC

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 5:26 pm    

What an amazing singer! I wish I could be there.
Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 6:55 pm    

Well here I go again with my attitude. But it seems that in so many cases in the so called music business, that talent doesn't make that much difference. In other words, maybe Con is too old or probably doesn't look good enough in tight jeans and he doesn't wear a cowboy hat! For what it's worth, I have backed many singers and some are excellent, such as: Nat Stuckey, Jody Miller, Curtis Potter and so on, but I've never backed a singer with as much soul and feeling as Con Hunley. It is truly a rewarding musical experience every time I get to work with him. For what it's worth Con and myself neither one can find any place to play locally as well as my bass player buddy, Ben Brogdon, so I don't know what the answer is. I will say that if anyone is a fan of Con's and would like to come out Friday night, he will be singing all the great tunes he does so well, such as: Since I Fell For You, No Relief In Sight, Georgia, Oh Girl and more. The song list he gave me has 23 songs on it. He has a new version of the Bill Anderson classic, Still that you won't believe. It sounds like a new song.

Anyhow I'll shut up for now, as I don't want to start up anything.

Herby Wallace

------------------
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 8:14 pm    

Good luck Herby...and Con also...

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2003 8:29 pm    

Herby,
You can"TOOT" you're horn all that you want!!!Con Hunley is FANTASTIC and one of my ALL TIME favorites..and you.....are !!!!Fantastic!!! and Ben is probley the "Best" all around Bass player there is..I mean ..the guy can play anything and back up anybody...with NO Effort.. Just sits there and does the job..with or without charts!!!! I sure wish that I was going to be there!!!! but Circumstanses prevail. Good Luck as ussual.
The Grouchy Guy from Church Hill!!
Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 12:19 am    

I want to hear Con sing "Cry Cry Darlin".
And yes, Con sings his ass (oops) butt off!!
So tell me, Whats new with you!!
John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 4:00 am    

Go ahead Herb and rant !!! More of that kind of ranting needs to be done. GO FOR IT MY MAN !!!

------------------
JUST 'CAUSE I STEEL, DON'T MAKE ME A THIEF

Herby Wallace

Sevierville, TN, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 12:42 pm    

Dear Bill,

Cry, Cry Darlin' and What's New With You are both on the song list we will be doing. Another thing great about working with Con is that he gives you freedom to play. In other words many of his earlier hits didn't have steel on them, but he lets me add things that weren't on the original record and I just can't express how great it is working with him. Just for example, one of his better songs was a tune called: No Relief In Sight. The original record when he recorded it didn't have steel on it at all; however, I have been working with Con for about 8 years and from the very first rehearsal, I ask him what he wanted me to play on that tune since there wasn't any steel on the record. Con said that he always felt that steel would have fit that tune very well, so now instead of a guitar turnaround, he lets me play a steel turnaround as well as quite a few fills. He did make the statement to me that even though steel wasn't on his original hit, he felt that the steel worked better on this song than guitar. I don't know of many singers that I have worked with who would take that attitude, but keep in mind that Con is also a great musician as well as a vocalist. He actually played piano on most of his hits years ago.

That's enough for now.

Herby Wallace

------------------
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2003 12:53 pm    

I just replayed Cons "no relief in sight and I was surprised not to hear a Steel in it but I liked the record and the song so much then so it was the mans voice that sold it ...I listened to Willie Rainsfords older 45, and even on it there is no Steel.If it wasn't 12 hours away I'd make a trip just to hear that version. Time to re-record...Hope you guys get down here to FLa.

------------------
CJC