| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scandinavian Steel Guitar Association
Uwe Haegg

Hilleroed, Denmark
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2003 5:20 pm    

Even though my reply in another thread got a totally underwhelming support I want to reiterate.
How about forming a Scandinavian Steel Guitar Association since there are a lot of fine steelers in both Sweden and Norway.
How about it Ulf L. and Dag W.?
Or anyone else who feels the need to promote the steel guitar in scandinavia.
Please feel free to email me and let us see if we can get this pig to fly.

UH

Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2003 11:42 pm    

A very nice and good idea! I´m not a good player, but fair enough to be a supporting member, and I´ll cheer the good ones from a safe place beside.
By now we are many enough to form a viable Scandinavian SGA.
Here in Sweden we have good pickers like Janne Lindgren, Martin Johannesson, Berra Karlsson and Kent Larnebrant, for example, who are all well qualified for leading positions, and there are other as qualified pickers in the other scandinavian countries.
Henning Kock

Denmark
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2003 12:30 am    

5.april 2003,
Good Idea, Uwe.
In the past there have been seminars/conventions/concerts in Båstad, Sweden with Jimmie Crawford, Janne Lindgren, Nils Tuxen, Kent Larsson, and in Furuvik with Lloyd Green.
In Copenhagen, Denmark with Maurice Andersson.
In Kristiansand, Langesund, and Hattfjelldal, Norway with Jeff Newman, Jimmie Crawford, Scotty, Herby Wallace, Lloyd Green, Paul Franklin, JD Maness, Tom Brumley, Janne Lindgren and more.
A central place for Norway Sweden and Denmark would be the Oslo area.
Mange hilsner
Henning
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Henning Kock
(pedal steel guitar, piano, keyboards, vibraphone)
Henning K. Music
111 Aarhusvej
DK-8300 Odder
Denmark,
Europe
phone +45 8654 2959
--------------------------------------------
e-mail address: henningkmusic@hotmail.com
webpages:
pedal steel guitar: www.geocities.com/Nashville/1520 www.steelguitardanmark.subnet.dk (information)
piano & keyboard: www.sitecenter.dk/henning-kock www.danskmusik.com/dmfbook/selskab/html/henning_kock.html
and for musical instrument products wholesale (to dealers): www.henningkmusic.subnet.dk
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

------------------

[This message was edited by Henning Kock on 05 April 2003 at 12:33 AM.]

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2003 6:32 am    

Few guys over here too!
Ulf Edlund

Umeå, Sweden
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2003 10:19 am    

It's a good idea.

-Ulf
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2003 10:32 am    

Good idea. Topic moved to 'Steel Players' section.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2003 10:48 am    

Spammed to 'Events and Announcements' for maximum exposure.

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator
Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2003 4:36 pm    

Uwe, there are a Scandinavian Steel guitar association club. They arranged the shows that Henning mentioned in his reply here.

Due to the fact that we are few steelplayers here in Scandinavia they have had their shows were the steel has a more backup role rather than instrumental. This seems to draw more people to the shows. We throw in an instumental every now and then.

I think that`s a good way to go and they have been rather succesful compared to the previous shows over here.

Hattfjelldal are a little community not very far from the polar circle. It`s a long way to travel for most of us but the people up there seem to atchive what it takes to get it done. The local communety have also sponsored the show with money and all, and I mean all, people in Hattfjelldal support the event. Not very often you see the mare sit in on drums

Last years show was cancelled because the show Hotel in Hattfjelldal were out of service.

There`s a maybe for this years show.

Dag

[This message was edited by Dag Wolf on 07 April 2003 at 01:12 AM.]

Uwe Haegg

Hilleroed, Denmark
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2003 12:25 am    

Dag, thanks for your reply.

This only goes to show that I don`t know anything.
But it also shows that not all who could have an interest in knowing about events know where to find the info.

I don`t want to step on any toes here and I certainly do not want to jump in on other peoples good work.
I just felt there was a need for a common place where everybody could post and get info
about what was going on steelguitar wise in
Scandinavia.
The Hattfjelldal arrangements sound great but as you yourself pointed out it is a long way to travel to get there.

I feel there could be a point in arranging
some events further down south, maybe Oslo or someplace else that is suited for the purpose.
IMHO there is no conflict of interests in doing this.
Thanks again for you input and please let me know when there is another event at Hattfjelldal.
BTW - Do they have a homepage?

[This message was edited by Uwe Haegg on 07 April 2003 at 01:30 AM.]

Dag Wolf

Bergen, Norway
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2003 12:56 am    

I have e-mailed Steinar Scroeder. I hope he can chime in on this one as he is one of the guys that host this show.

Dag
Henning Kock

Denmark
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2003 12:38 am    

18.april, 2003
Steinar Scroeder of Norway wrote this in Forum department "Steel Players":
Kind regards from
Henning
############################################
To my great delight this topic has surfaced, and the response from so many in Scandinavia and even in Finland is nice, indeed.
As Dag Wolf mentioned, there does exist a Steelguitar Scandinavia Association based in Hattfjelldal, Norway. They have been hosting yearly steel guitar weekends for the past 10 years with visiting instructors like Jeff Newman, Tom Brumley, Janne Lindgren, Dag Wolf, Paul Franklin, Egil Skjelnes, Arild Kvenseth, Scotty DeWitt and Jay Dee Maness. Right now, the event is on hold pending a change of ownership of the local hotel, - site of the venue.

Hattfjelldal is about in the middle of Norway, right across the border from Wilhelmina in Sweden. It certainly is not an easy location to reach, and from this perspective, Oslo, Copenhagen or even Dalarna might be more accessible from most parts of Scandinavia.
However, and there is a very big however here, Hattfjelldal as a local community - from the mayor to the local church council - all actively support and back our steel event. They organize dance events and raffles throughout the year to raise money for our steel weekend, and they do all kinds of unpaid volunteer work to make it happen.
As you may have thought of, the costs of bringing an overseas guest over, will easily exceed N.kr. 50.000,-. Add to that the costs of backing bands, other players, food, accommodation, marketing and other incidentals, and you will easily reach a budget of about N.kr. 125.000,-.
Obviously you can´t earn this from a seminar fee of about N.kr. 500,- pr. participant, and obviously you can´t earn this from other arrangements during the steel event. Hence, you are dependent on other sources of income.
And this is where Hattfjelldal shines.
They take a long term kind of community approach to the problem and led by untiring people like Steinar Mikkeljord and Wiggo Iversen, find out when and where to organize fund raising events, dances, raffles and even cow bingo! (raised 5000,-kr!).

Personally I welcome any initiative to further the cause of the steel guitar, and if anybody would like to stage an event in Oslo or any other part of Scandinavia, they will have my full support. The only thing that worries me, is that potential organizers underestimate what goes into an event like this, personell-wise and financially.
Enthusiasm is fine, but in order to prevent personal bankruptcies, a healthy dose of realism is needed.
Like Tom Bradshaw once said:"Let´s all organize steel conventions and all go broke!"

Wise words, indeed. If some other more centrally located place in Scandinavia can come up with the same kind of untiring volunteers like Hattfjelldal has, with the same kind of organizers who are willing to cover substantial losses out of their own pockets and with the same kind of long term community backing that Hattfjelldal gives, then go for it!
Steinar.
###########################################
www.geocities.com/Nashville/1520 www.steelguitardanmark.subnet.dk www.henningkmusic.subnet.dk www.sitecenter.dk/henning-kock

[This message was edited by Henning Kock on 18 April 2003 at 01:39 AM.]