| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  working notes out
Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2010 1:30 pm    

Hi.
Im hoping for some help once again..
In a book I have is a pic of guitar with the 6 strings. it says notes based on second string..
Im finding it hard to understand
as its saying on left side open C.. and saying fret one c sharp but opposite side flats and saying fret 1 D flat. how can this be?? how can it be C sharp and also D flat
sorry I dont have a scanner hope you can understand..

thanks again RdGs Paul
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2010 1:51 pm    

C# and Db are what is called enharmonic notes : in other words, they are the same.

If you look at a piano, with the white and black keys, you will see that the black key above C is the same note as the black key below D. C# and Db are the same.
Chad Winn

Knoxville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2010 2:06 pm    

Think about it this way -

A - B C - D - E F - G - A

The dashes are the enharmonic notes.

I've known musicians that spoke in only flats (no D# only Eb), and musicians that only spoke sharps (no Eb only D#).
Paul Higgins

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2010 2:09 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
C# and Db are what is called enharmonic notes : in other words, they are the same.

If you look at a piano, with the white and black keys, you will see that the black key above C is the same note as the black key below D. C# and Db are the same.

Thank you Bill I now know what you mean..
so can I work the notes out by saying lets say the 5th string is E open..E on the 1st fret would be E sharp 2nd fret would be F third would be F sharp and 4th G and as per piano E has no sharp nd so on down the fretboard and would this work for every string
Thank you once again RdGs Paul...ps although I play the keyboard and use sharps and flats, I have never thought of them being the same thing as you have explained
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2010 2:12 pm    

Like Bill said, they are enharmonics. It all depends on the key. At the beginning of a piece of manuscript, you'll find a key signature which tells you what key the music is in. If you are in a key that has flats in the key signature, the notes will be called xb (x being the letter). In some cases with keys that have many sharps and flats, such as Gb, the note B is actually called Cb. There are other cases as well. It is important to learn all of the key signatures.

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2010 3:16 pm    

Thank you both..

I now understand it a bit more, they say you learn something new every day..I deff have since getting the guitar and with the help you have provided..
I have not realy gone to music at any debth I can read sheet music ( I only play what I like and know )and stuff from music room over the internet I kind of look at what chords they are in and some can be transcribed before you down load it, that is how I have got a long so far..so looks like still got more to learn on music.. soI had better start learning about the key signatures
thanks again for all you help, im very grateful..and sorry for so many questions..RdGs Paul