| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ZB to Anapeg
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2010 4:10 pm    

Tom Brumley, Al Perkins, and other ZB players have gone to Anapeg. I am just wondering if this is a coincidence or if there is something about Anapegs that particularly appeals to ZB players, other than being very fine guitars.

Thanks!
Cliff
Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2010 6:10 pm    

I'm sure the time had come for them to own the very BEST.

Bill
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2010 7:00 am     Anapeg

Cliff, do you know any other guys who went from ZBs to Anapeg other than Tom Brumley and Al Perkins? I don't think it could be many; I was under the impression not many were ever made, nor will they be in the future. See this thread on Anapeg:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=102313&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=anapeg&start=0

For me owning one is a moot point. They are out of my price range; I'm happy with the steels I have, and from what I read in the post above, Noel will not be making many more due to health problems. For those who still wish to purchase one & for Noel's sake, I hope the last point is incorrrect. stevet
Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2010 1:50 pm    

Unless any changes come about, the last 2 Anapeg guitars are just about complete. I believe the Anstead's are ready for a well-deserved retirement. What a wonderful product they have built over the years. Gorgeous instruments.

Bill
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2010 3:17 pm    

Tom Brumley and Al Perkins were very close friends. Al was the one who turned Tom onto Anapeg. No coincidence there. I don't know any other ZB players that went to Anapegs. My opinion was that they both took a step down in tone (I've known Al Perkins for many years, and I knew Tom Brumley and talked to him about his Anapeg before he passed). Tom expressed to me that the ZB was indeed a better sounding guitar but that the Anapeg was a precision instrument (which it is) and is light weight. Mr. Brumley had a bad back. Al knows my opinion about the tone of a ZB verses an Anapeg. I much prefer the classic ZB tone. Its personal preference. Better is subjective.
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2010 5:35 pm    

I was talking to another player who told me he went from playing ZB to Anapeg, what he calls the best. When I thought of what he said, along with Brumley and Perkins, it made me wonder if there is a connection between the two guitars.
T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 4:54 am    

Kevin, I have played and lifted one of Tom Brumley's Anapeg S-11's. IMHO, it sounds fantastic and sustains forever. It is not lightweight at all. In fact, it's probably the heaviest single neck I've ever tried lifting. You hit the nail on the head when you said it's a precision instrument. It is a mechanical work of art. I loved the tone he got on his last solo album. Admittedly, it wasn't traditional tone but it was beautiful. You are right about tone being subjective.
TC
steve takacs

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 8:13 am     ANAPEG: How many & How Much?

Anyone know how many Anapegs were made and the range of what they cost? I"ve heard around $8000 but am not sure where I heard that! Can that be correct? stevet
Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 1:40 pm    

I will help you with your question. Worldwide, about 33 Anapeg guitars have been made. When the last 2 are completed, and shipped, there will have been 13 Anapeg guitars brought into the USA. 1 guitar was sold, quite some time ago, to a party outside of the USA. So, when the last 2 arrive, a total of 12 will be in the states.

As to price, it all hinged on what you wanted, and they were all 10,11, or 12 string single neck guitars. Each one was custom made, therefore, no 2 would have been priced the same. Since it appears these guitars will no longer be made, price, at this time, is irrelevent.

Bill
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 2:22 pm    

I guess for me the ZB sound is what I will always associate with Tom and Al. It was Tom who was the reason why Al switched to a ZB from a Fender 1000. The ZB sound is distinctive and once you hear one live it will stay with you. I do not find that quality in alot of other steels, Anapegs included. Not that its bad. I am just personally biased because thats the sound that I love.
steve takacs

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2010 3:35 pm     Range Of Prices

Bil,, thanks, for the information on the number of Ananpegs made & nubmer in the USA. I'm still curious aobut the RANGE of prices paid for these guitars when they were originally purchased. Any owners care to chime in? I'm definitely with Kevin on the sound of a ZB, but have note heard an Anapeg live. stevet