| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jacob Kaleikini
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2010 12:52 pm    

Just received the very sad news of the passing of a very dear friend and one of Hawai'is LEGENDS, Jacob Kaleikini, 94. Uncle Jacob was one of the last of the Golden Age of Hawaiian Entertainers whose career was very extensive on the Hawaiian scene. He was the last of two survivors of the Johnny Almeida Hawaiians, the remaining survivor being Solomon Kam.

Uncle Jacob played steel guitar in his early days, but was noticed for his bass playing and fine falsetto voice...songs like E MAMA E will always be remembered by so many in the islands. He was always generous, kind, praising folks like myself for whatever talents we possessed. Uncle Jacob will also be remembered for his untiring participation at the HSGA Kapiolani Park concerts. He was a member of the Hawaiian Serenaders playing at the ELKS Club every Wednesday morning for the past 20 years (or more). I have lost a wonderful friend whom I greatly loved and admired.

Last edited by George Keoki Lake on 7 Feb 2010 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2010 11:24 pm    

That is sad news. Sad

I'll remember Jacob for his ukelele playing and his singing of "I Kona" with his Hawaiian falsetto at our HSGA conventions in Hawaii. Cool Cool

You could always count on him attending the HSGA conventions and spreading the aloha spirit.

He will be missed.

Aloha, Smile
Don
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2010 3:59 am    

DON..Mahalo for mentioning I KONA ... In my sorrow, it completely slipped my mind to mention his beautiful falsetto rendition of this old hula.

Amazingly, even while confined in his wheelchair towards the end, he was able to sing at home with his son Jacob Jr., along with his close friend Solomon Kam. He had become so very frail but managed to sing and play the electric bass with them.

However, during the final days his organs ceased working, he was in pain according to Jr. Perhaps it was a blessing to be 'called home'. Those such as you and I, Don, will always remember and greatly miss Uncle Jacob. He lived a long outstanding life.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2010 9:20 am    

Just to PAU this topic...Over 300 people
turned out to pay their final respects to Jacob
Piakanoa Kaleikini, many well known artists
including distant cousin Danny Kaleikini entertained.
Obviously this huge turnout was a strong indication
of the love everyone had for Jacob. I wish I could
have been there on Friday, March 5th, (2010). Sad