| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where to start....
William Sender

Syracuse, NY via Nashville, TN via Scranton, PA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 4:31 pm    

Hi guys. This is my first post, so be gentle! I just bought my first steel (Carter Starter) at the ripe old age of 25, hoping it's not too late to start playing. I've been playing guitar for about 15 years, and have a descent knowledge of theory and such.

Any way, where the hell do I start?! I'm a bit overwhelmed right now, not gonna lie.Whoa! So, I have some questions, hoping someone might be as kind to answer them...

1. I have a Ernie Ball VP1 Volume Pedal, will that be okay for the steel too?

2. Instructional material. What's good, what's not so good?

3. Post a few tips for the TRUE novice, I haven't even touched the thing yet. I figure, there is over 10,000 years of collective knowledge, so I'd like to hear some of it!

Thanks in advance guys.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 4:46 pm    

where to start?

well, thats an hour lesson at least Laughing

how to hold the bar, how to put your fingerpicks on not upside down etc.

where are you at? maybe we can help find a teacher for you? I think a lesson is the best way to start.

I understand tho that thats not always possible.

Bruce Boutons dvd was helpful to me as a stone cold beginner.
William Sender

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 5:00 pm    

I'm in upstate NY, the Syracuse area.

I believe you put the pick on the pad side of your finger, correct?

Also.... what are grips and blocking?
Ricky Hagan

Elm City N.C. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 5:01 pm    

The Ernie Ball pedal will be fine to learn with.I'm sure you know how to put the picks on.Check with any of Jeff Newmans stuff.He has a great selection of stuff available for beginers.Look in the instuction section of the forum for Jeffaran College.If I can help you select the right stuff,email me
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 5:35 pm    

William,
The Winney Winston Steel Guitar Method is a good place to start, lots of information and songs to play. Jeff Newman stuff is good as well, more expensive. I am about two hours south east of you in Walton, NY. I am in my shop Monday to Friday, 9 to 5:30 at 153 North Street. Give me a call at 607 865-5670.
I teach pedal steel and can spend an hour or longer with you at a time if you want. I am always ready to talk steel. I have one set up in my shop all the time.
I do teach during the day, so call ahead to make sure I'll have time available for you.
The pedal steel is basically tuned to an open E chord with some added notes. Grips are the strings you can play together to form a triad, or chord. Blocking is the method/s used to stop strings from ringing so everything doesn't mush together. Basically, you can pick block, or palm block.
Using the pedals and knee levers, you can play I, IV and V7 on the same fret, as well as ii, vi and iii.
There must be at least a steel player or two in the Syracuse area. You might throw up an ad on Craigslist asking for a teacher or player who could help you get started and see who responds.
Give me a call or an e-mail if you have any questions. Good luck and have fun.
Larry Jamieson
William Sender

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 6:06 pm    

Thanks Larry. I make frequent trips to the Scranton area, and I see you're not too far from Binghamton, which I drive right though. Maybe I'll stop down one time.

Larry Jamieson wrote:
William,
The Winney Winston Steel Guitar Method is a good place to start, lots of information and songs to play. Jeff Newman stuff is good as well, more expensive. I am about two hours south east of you in Walton, NY. I am in my shop Monday to Friday, 9 to 5:30 at 153 North Street. Give me a call at 607 865-5670.
I teach pedal steel and can spend an hour or longer with you at a time if you want. I am always ready to talk steel. I have one set up in my shop all the time.
I do teach during the day, so call ahead to make sure I'll have time available for you.
The pedal steel is basically tuned to an open E chord with some added notes. Grips are the strings you can play together to form a triad, or chord. Blocking is the method/s used to stop strings from ringing so everything doesn't mush together. Basically, you can pick block, or palm block.
Using the pedals and knee levers, you can play I, IV and V7 on the same fret, as well as ii, vi and iii.
There must be at least a steel player or two in the Syracuse area. You might throw up an ad on Craigslist asking for a teacher or player who could help you get started and see who responds.
Give me a call or an e-mail if you have any questions. Good luck and have fun.
Larry Jamieson
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 6:30 pm    

Welcome to the forum William. I assume you are near Dalton, PA. I'm in Corry, PA a long shot from you in NW PA. If possible, sit down with an experienced steel guitarist and you can get a ton of questions answered in a hurry. Everything from picks, amps, foot volume pedals, tunings, some beginner techniques etc. This will also have the advantage of trying another set of bars, amps, guitars and foot volume so you can see what you like best.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Colin Swinney

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 6:34 pm    

For instruction, try youtube and google videos.

These have been very helpful to me.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sbenzian#p/u/22/KDKtahMnKR0

Or just type "pedal steel guitar lesson" in any ol' search engine and see what comes up!
William Sender

Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 6:51 pm    

Well, I live in upstate NY now, but am from, and frequently visit NEPA. I actually grew up in Dalton. Funny you should mention Dalton, considering it's not much bigger than a postage stamp.

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Welcome to the forum William. I assume you are near Dalton, PA. I'm in Corry, PA a long shot from you in NW PA. If possible, sit down with an experienced steel guitarist and you can get a ton of questions answered in a hurry. Everything from picks, amps, foot volume pedals, tunings, some beginner techniques etc. This will also have the advantage of trying another set of bars, amps, guitars and foot volume so you can see what you like best.

Greg
Steve Raulston

U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 7:46 pm    

Hello William and welcome to the forum. As I mentioned a couple days ago in another thread entitled "the new guy, you made one of the best investments you could possibly make by joining the forum. Where else on the planet can you spend five bucks and get this kind of information, support and fellowship? There is some great advice in this thread and if you read that thread too, you will get some more ideas to get you started. Even some basic chords and grips stressing the similarities of six string guitar and positions. Again, welcome aboard.

Last edited by Steve Raulston on 3 Mar 2010 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2010 10:26 pm    

Welcome William, from Alabama. You picked the right place,Happy picking. YOU BETCHA, DYK?BC.