| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Switching to drum throne...now where do I put all my stuff?
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2010 10:51 pm    

So I was playing some shows out of town on borrowed gear, and my friend had one of those Roc N Soc drum thrones with the seat that looks like a big, wide bike seat.

I actually liked it a lot better than the usual pac-seat that I use. It was comfortable, adjustable, and I liked the freedom of motion (both swiveling and hip movement). So I bought one off craigslist today. But...now I have to figure out a good way to carry all the gear that usually lives in my pac-seat. Any solutions?
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2010 11:21 pm    

Bryan,There are MANY Styles and sizes of gig bags that that will work. Check out musician's friend,they have several different kinds. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Last edited by Charles Davidson on 21 Feb 2010 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2010 11:25 pm    

Can you recommend one that works well for you?
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2010 11:31 pm    

You could always take the legs off your seat and just use it to carry your stuff. Laughing Seriously, I think you've just figured out why steel seats were invented in the first place. Wink
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2010 11:32 pm    

I don't need one still use my stool. But the one at musician's friend called the [musicians gear elite gear bag] looks like it would work. Just google in [gig bag] will take you to it. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 1:54 am    

Brian,
For a long time(when I used a drummers seat)I carried My extras in one of those travel bags which has the pull along handle,thetype You take as hand luggage on a 'plane.
Billy
Steve Wood

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 2:13 am     Gig bag...

I use a drum stool, too.

go to your local thrift store, and find a nice hard shell small valise/suitcase for a great price.

they work like magic.

I use an old small drink mix case...came with straps, elastics, room for everything and bulletproof too.

All for $2 Canadian dollars, so i guess like $0.34 USD. Winking
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 3:42 am    

I used a square snare drum trap case to transport my drum seat and extra gear for a long time.
Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 5:08 am    

An aluminum briefcase works fine for the stuff you need to carry, and looks cool.
Gary Anderson

Fort Mohave, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 5:53 am    

Aluminum brief case/tool box from Lowes. I "customized " mine a little.

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 6:14 am    

I use a small shoulder bag. It was cheap, in the luggage sectoin od Wall-Mart. (man I hate it that I just plugged Wal-Mart) I got one that has a main section in the middle with a pocket on each side, and little pockets on the ends. It is just the right size to keep my picks, cords, volume pedal, Rv-150, stings, wrenches, and everything I carry organized, and it takes up way less room than a pack seat. I can't carry my pack seat on my shoulder. I have a packseat, but it doesn't often go out with me. Actually, my bag would fit inside my seat if it wasn't for the dividers, that are in the wrong place anyway. Does everyone like seats with the dividers where they usually come in a seat? My rv150 won't fit in the seat, not because it's not big enough, but there is a divider in the way.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 6:27 am    

I use a rolling rectangular airline carry-on luggage piece with an extended telescoping handle. Tons of them inexpensively available, the one I have holds tons of stuff - volume pedal, 1 each portable guitar and amp stand, kidney-shaped Pod in its soft-case, another effect or two, lots of extra strings, large pouch for accessories and tools, an internal pouch which holds a thin 3-ring binder with music or lyric charts, and external pockets for lots of spare strings, cables, and a small whiskey flask in case the joint's beer sucks or they try to gouge us on drinks.

I just want one that's sturdy, not be all split up inside, and ideally have a couple of good, non-protruding external compartments. I think the one I'm using was "Bill Blass" labeled when I got it, I've been using it for over 10 years, it's a tank.

I've also used large notebook computer cases with heavy-duty shoulder straps. I've usually gone in and cut out compartments to make room, and it needs to be real heavy-duty to handle the amount of stuff I have. I have a separate one of these just to handle some extra effects if I need them - wah plus assorted others.
Zach Keele

Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 6:47 am    

I've thought about that too after I saw Gary Morse use one. Maybe you could just buy a backpack, strap that throne to the outside of the bag and put all of your stuff inside the bag. Get a lightweight amp, strap on your bag, grab your guitar, and you'll only have one trip to the car. Very Happy
Jeff Watson

Anza, CA. USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 7:32 am    

Cheap plastic toolboxes come in every size and arrangment you might need.
Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 9:39 am    

Every once in a while I'll go back to basics; S10 steel, pot pedal, and NV112. I put my cables in the steel case and a pack of strings,, winder, and cutters in the back of my amp. And , as in the days of old, I'll borrow a bar chair when I get to the gig. As for the tuner, I get an E from the guitar player.

Did it this past weekend.....

It was exhilarating! Smile
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 10:21 am    

old hardshell thriftstore suitcases for $3.
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 10:32 am    

Bryan, I was thinking of using a drum throne, but decided not to because I thought it(and I) would rotate when using the knee levers. This isn't an issue for you?
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 12:10 pm    

James, it doesn't seem to be an issue. And between parts, when I'm not playing, I can kind of 'groove' more easily with the swivel motion.

Thanks for all the recommendations! I think I am going to look at carry-on style luggage, or maybe something with back straps.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 12:59 pm    

I use an entirely ordinary backpack. I like the concept of pak-a-seats, but I found that for my disorganized self they were more appropriately named "Pack Rat Seats" (and thus became gradually heavier and more disorganized the longer they were in service), so I use keyboard benches and backpacks now. I've thought of going to some other kind of case, but it is kind of handy to be able to throw it on my back - sometimes that might save a round trip to the car.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 1:37 pm    

Bobby B.:

I have two Steelers' Choice seats and I've taken the dividers out of the main sections and the 'sidekick' part of both of them. They take up to much space in themselves, and now I can really fill 'em up with stuff I might need... Smile

PS: Should that be 'Steelers' Choice' or 'Steeler's Choice'; I've never been sure! If everyone used them it'd be the former.
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 2:48 pm    

It's how we roll!
This works great anywhere there is an elevator, ramp or one step .
One trip in & out.

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 3:06 pm    

at shows i often have to store my gear in a dressing room or on the side of a stage or whatever. because of this, I dont care for soft cases of any kind. effects , strings, whatever will get crushed, stepped on, sat on , eventually, and are subject to liquid (beer) spills. so a hard case that seals somehow is very nice if your playing places where your gear is gonna be subjected to wear and tear and people piling their gear on top of yours, sitting on it, placing there beers on or near it etc. Bars basically.

some of those old hardshell makeup suitcases are pre compartmentalized, indestructible, liquid proof, lightweight, stylish, and cheap. Very Happy

For pedalboards I get the medium sized hardshell suitcase first and cut the pedalboard to the size of the case. $3 Beats paying hundreds for an anvil case and pedaltrain pedlaboard and its totally customizeable.
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 4:03 pm    

I'm going to try repurposing my wife's overnight bag (it has semi-hard sides and wheels, with 3 compartments). If that doesn't work, I have a thrift store suitcase I can try to reconfigure.
Bob Littleton

Camas, WA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 6:17 pm    

How about saddlebags!

Bob Littleton Winking
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2010 6:56 pm    

You guys that don't use a pac-a-sest, do you have the bag on stage in case you break a string? It just seems so convenient to have the strings, string winder and tuner right at your finger tips in the side car. As for comfort, the Steeler's Choice is more comfortable than my Roc-n-Soc. I wish Ken could build me one to use when I play drums!