| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Benoit Style 4 Tricone Revisited
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2010 3:44 pm    

I was looking through some of my older threads, and realized that I had neglected to complete the spec information for the Benoit Style 4 Tricone thread.....

here's the thread...

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=164257&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=benoit+tricone&start=0

Here are the specs.....

The top is Macassar Ebony

The back & sides are Brazillian Rosewood

The neck is Maple stained to match the Brazillian Rosewood

The fretboard is 100 year old Cypress

The frets are Mother of Pearl

Position markers are Abolone

Peghead is slotted Macassar Ebony

The binding is Ebony blk/wht stripe

The finish is Nitro Cellulose Laquer

Tuning machines are Gold Waverly

The cones are National
---------------------------------------------

I've been working with Carroll for maybe 8-9 years now and he never ceases to amaze me.....I've also never heard the word "no" ever pass his lips......I think about all of the one off guitars that Carroll has built and realize that this is a once in a lifetime collaboration.....this Tricone being the latest, and as always, has pushed through the borders of conventional builds with regard to theme...

Along with one of the greatest talents in building, Carroll & his other half, Anita, are the nicest, finest people that you could ever meet....whether you buy a guitar or not....when you meet the Benoits, you've made good friends....

Carroll is also assisted by his family...Diedre, one of his daughters who does all the photography for Carroll and the website......and Quint, one of his sons who is a computer & programming whiz (and is also a phenomenal wood craftsman).....Quint does all of the programming for the Carve Wright, which is the machine that did all of the Style 4 intricate carving.....everytime that we come up with an idea and produce the final product, something is learned, something is developed, and those somethings are incorporated into the guitars that Carroll builds for all.....

Carroll & Anita will be at the Dallas Show again, as always this year.....and you can sit down and play many various guitars.....

And as wonderful as this Style 4 Tricone is.....we have two more unreal projects that are in work as we speak....you won't believe what we will be coming up with..... Whoa!

I also want to put in a good word for Paul Beard Guitars who will be at the Dallas Show this year after an absence last year.....Paul is another innovator who has has propelled the resophonic guitar way out into the forefront with both high end, high quality guitars....and excellent value affordable guitars.....

And right next to the Benoit & Beard rooms....The Rick Alexander Non Pedal Sessions will take place in the Chagall Room......so the mezzanine will be a non pedal paradise this year......
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2010 3:52 pm    

Howard,

What a beautiful instrument. Amazing.

(I'm reminded. Time for a visit).

You are right; the collaboration between you can Carol needs to be documented more fully. It would be great to see them displayed in a gallery setting. Maybe a website dedicated to the collection and collaboration.

Well done as always. Howard, you are always an inspiration.