| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Don Tummons
Jack Musgrave

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 3:03 pm    

Don passed away this morning at his home. I don't have all the details yet. Don was a good friend and loved steel guitar. I talked with Don a couple of days ago. He was excited about playing a show tonight in Springfield and was going to stop by where I was playing when he got done. It is with much sadness that I post this. Donnie was a good bass player, singer, and just an all around good guy
ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 4:56 pm    

Jack, such terrible news! Don has been one of my best friends for almost 40 years. I'm at a loss as what to say. Ray
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Norma Jean Lucas

siloam springs ar
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 5:08 pm    

I too am shocked and saddened by this. I was lucky enough to get to play with Don. Before I started playing bass, Don was our bass player. I have a lot of good memories of those times and I am glad I got to know him. RIP Don. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family and all of his many friends.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2010 8:59 pm    

Really sad news. Don's sister called me. The last 3 nights I talked to Don on the phone around 12:30 at night. Don stayed up late. He had not been feeling good, said he had a bad cold, but was going to try and play Friday night. I will try and post when the visitation and funeral will be. I lost another good friend singer and musician last week, Gary Atkinson. God has a plan for us all. Gary and Don--hope to see you down the road!
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 7:32 am    

I am sorry to hear this about Don. We always enjoyed playing with him and his fine singing. He sure loved Country and Country Gospel music!

Like Keith stated we just lost Gary last week. Like all of you, I will miss them too!

May GOD comfort and give his family and friends his peace at this time.

Terry Wood
Jim Means

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 11:39 am    

Hi Jack,
I am sorry for the loss of your friend. If he is who I am thinking of his family had a gospel group in the eighties and our paths crossed several times when I was playing for a group out of Springfield. A very nice family.

Jim in Missouri

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 12:10 pm    

Visitation for Don will be from 7 to 8 pm Monday at Brim Daniel funeral home in Walnut Grove, Mo. the funeral will be at 11 o'clock Tuesday. Walnut Grove is north of Springfield past Willard for those not familiar with the area. In answer to your question Jim , Don's brother and sisters had a gospel group called the Gospel Express. I played steel in their group in the early nineties. and yes, they are all a very nice family
Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 2:29 pm    

Such sad news. Jack, thanks for letting us know. May God grant him restful peace. Donnie, I will miss you.
Jim Means

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2010 5:16 pm    

Jack,
Thanks, Gospel Express, yes that's the one I was thinking of. This would have also been the late eighties and early nineties. Maybe our paths crossed as well. I played bass for The Anchors out of Springfield.

Jim in Missouri