| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Linkon Lap Pedal Steel (that's right LAP & PEDAL!) For S
Court Vines

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2010 5:39 pm    

I have a 10 string LINKON Lap Pedal Steel for sale with 3 pedals and 2 knee levers (see pictures below).

This is a beautiful instrument and has great sound. Built by Wayne Link (one of only three).

If interested you can contact me at court.vines@sympatico.ca for more information.

Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2010 10:14 am    

Email sent. Very interested.

geoff
Court Vines

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2010 2:00 pm    

Sorry, I will not be home to access my e-mails until later tonight but will definitely get back to you.

I should have some more pictures by then as well.
Court Vines

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2010 10:37 am     More pictures ......

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2010 12:08 pm    

pretty trippy! what's the price range for these?
Court Vines

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2010 3:51 pm     Price

Hi Chris;

Here's a little more info that I've been sending to others who e-mailed directly ---

The guitar is set up with standard E9th tuning with the three standard foot pedals (operated with cables instead of rods) and the right knee levers
which raise and lower the E's (4th & 8th strngs). Two more knee levers are on the left which are simply used to stabilize the guitar when it is on your lap. It has a keyless changer and a George L pickup.

The cables are about 32" long. The pedals are mounted on a board 15" by 11" (slightly triangular as you can see from the pictures) and weighs no more than 2 pounds.

The idea for the lap pedal steel actually came from Art Alyea. He is a professional musician who plays piano, guitar, drums and a host of other instruments in his performances with his wife Rusty. He wanted to be able to switch quickly from the piano to the pedal steel in mid-song and came up with the idea of being able to sit at the piano with the steel on his lap. With his idea and Wayne Link's talent they built the left-handed model and Art has been using it ever since. Believe it or not, Art is now working on the design for a double-neck Lap Pedal Steel!

Wayne continued to build two more guitars and put them on his website. They never really caught on and Wayne says that, because the hardest part is hollowing out the hardwood body for the mechanics, he will probably not make any more. I asked him if he wanted me to indicate that his was for sale on the Forum and he said that he would be hesitant to part with it. The one he has is red with regular keys. Mine has the keyless head.

I have used mine several times at our church and it has created quite a stir. Most people would recognize a pedal steel guitar but this is something else!

The cables disconnect easily from the underside of the guitar with the use of a wing nut. The guitar keeps it's tuning incredibly well.

It would be a lot easier to move it around if it had a proper case (I picked up a home-made plywood case that was used for a keyboard but haven't had a chance to modify it). It doesn't come with a case but I use the plywood box with padding that Wayne shipped it in.

As far as weight is concerned, the whole assembly is hardly heavier than a regular electric guitar, just a bit more compact.

The guitar works extremely well although it takes a little getting used to the fact that the pedals can be placed anywhere that the cables allow.
The knee levers work well because the left set of levers are there simply to steady the guitar when you apply the right levers. The guitar itself weighs about 12 pounds.

I was speaking to Wayne a couple of days ago and he did not realize that he still has the prices from several years ago on his website. The fellow that set it up for him is no longer around and he doesn't know how to make changes. For example on his website -

Linkon Celebrity S10, 3x4 with case & triple raise 2,150.00

should now be $2,500.00

He has one more Lap Pedal Steel that he is reluctant to sell and says that he will not be making any more.

The only other one is a left-hand model played by Art Alyea in the US. (If you follow this link

http://www.yukonweb.com/arts/motherlode/

and scroll down to "Samples of Their Sound" and play "Selection from Artwork" you'll hear an excerpt of Art on his Lap Pedal Steel.

If he was still making them, Wayne's new price should be ($2,500/$2,150 = 1.1628 x $1,595 = $1,855 Cdn. or $1,740 US)

As a result of it's quality and rarity I decided to sell mine for $1,500

God bless,

Court
Court Vines

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2010 2:07 pm     Linkon Lap Pedal Steel - Price Reduced

Although this guitar has raised a lot of interest, the main comment seems to be that it is too pricey for this economy.

I would be willing to reduce the price if the buyer could pay shipping. I would also be willing to trade for a good S-10.