| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  top string D on C6 Tuning
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2010 8:50 am    

I am interested in the C6 tuning with the D as the top note ( C E G A C E D low to hi).
I play an 8 string nonpedal steel and use the standard low C6 tuning, most of the time. The two low bass strings ( G, A) are almost never used and I sometimes wonder why an 8 string steel is better than a 6 string. By adding a D string, I would be getting more out of my instrument.Maby
Any comments out there about the top string D tuning?
I play mostly Western Swing, Old Country, some country blues and a little Hawaiian.

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2010 9:33 am    

That can be a very useful string, since you can do a scale run of G-A-B-C-D-E and only move the bar one time (to get the B).

I have been using the low C6 tuning after seeing Mike Neer's video:

1. E
2. C
3. A
4. G
5. E
6. C
7. A
8. G

I find that the low G and A notes are great for what I play. I use the low Am chord a lot when comping behind others (A C E) and use the C major inversion quite a bit as well (G C E)
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2010 9:36 am    

I use the high D myself. I miss the G mostly when I'm trying to play the original steel parts from recordings. The D note is more what I'm used to for scales and chord voicings.

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2010 11:08 am     edit

edit

Last edited by George Piburn on 24 Jun 2012 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2010 11:37 am    

The Georgeboards video above is excellent. I have it and am beginning to learn C6 from it.

Eventually, I will tune my 8 string to (low-to-high; Bb-C-E-G-A-C-E-D), so that I will have a Dom 7th chord on the bottom 4 strings.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2010 4:55 pm     Just an olde man's opinion.........................

I've used: E C A G E C# C (top to bottom-7)
for many years now, as did JERRY BYRD.

You have such fabulous chordal opportunities with that tuning. One has but to listen to how much JERRY BYRD can get out of it to become a ready believer.

Are YOU certain that a D on top will provide more musical gifts than a C# and a C on the bottom two strings? I ask you...........
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2010 5:51 pm    

"Can't we all just be friends???" THUMP! I guess not. Very Happy

How about adding the C# on the bottom as nominated by Ray to the D on the top as nominated by George? Sounds like a winner to me...

C C# E G A C E D (low to hi)

I've been using C6(low) partly because you can retune it quickly to A6 when you want the high 5th on top. Or raise the 7th string from A to Bb to get the same intervals as E13th(high) but 4 frets lower. But I may try the "Jerry/George hybrid" for another 8 stringer I have. So you get the added harmonic possibilities from the C# and the improved solo possibilities from the D on top, which is kinda like the chromatic strings on a pedal steel (only diatonic).

Steve Ahola

P.S. I was just thinking that I would probably use C# for the 8th string and C for the 7th string. To go along with my modified open E tuning with a C# on the 6th string and a B on the 5th string. For the "alt Jerry/George tuning" the middle 6 strings would be a straight ahead C6 chord while I could bring in the C# on the bottom for the alternate harmonies, etc. For some reason my brain seems to be wired to relate to that. Whoa!

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Kelvin Monaghan

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2010 12:30 am    

The D on top is a very nice addition to C6 and Mr Boards tutorial is great.

I use a slightly different approach,I take a normal C6 C E G A C E then raise the bottom C to C# add a bottom A then add a top F#. we get
A C# E G A C E F# I look at it as an A based tuning ,I can still do C6 but also a nice A7 on the bottom, great for Blues or Rock based styles ,works for me.
Cheers
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2010 6:50 am    

Steve, I have been thinking of using your version with the C# on the 7th string and D on top. it sure would open up a lot of possibilities.

Kelvin, very clever! I like it.

So goes the continuing quest for lap steel tunings. Sure beats lugging around a pedal steel, in my opinion.
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2010 8:39 am    

I think Ray Montee is right. If JB can get by without adding another string on top of the E, I should be able to get by since I have about as much talent in my whole body as JB had in his little finger.
Other than that, I like having a set of strings that can be easily retuned to A6, B11, E13 low, C#mi9, or C#mi7.
I orderd a George Boards DVD on C6 tuning with a D on top. I will give it a look see, but I doubt I'll be changing strings anytime soon.