| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My First Paying Gig!!!
Michael Garnett

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 4:30 pm    

Well, last year I wouldn't have been able to tell you this would happen so soon, but tonight we're playing our first paid gig. 10:30 to close at the Ptarmagin club in Bryan. I'm still trying to keep that steel from sounding like I stepped on an electric cat, but it's getting better every day. Any comments would be great. We play a lot of older stuff along with 15 or so original songs. On top of that we just try to have a lot of fun when we play.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 4:42 pm    

Congratulations Michael...! The main thing is to enjoy the experience....I'm sure there'll be lots more in your future, but you'll never forget your first paying gig! Good Luck!
Joe Smith

Charlotte, NC, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2003 6:07 pm    

Michael, I would also like to congratulate you and wish you good luck.
Like Jerry said, just enjoy yourself.

------------------
Playing PSG keeps you on your toes.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 6:33 am    

Michael, be a pro and play in the spot you need to then back out and let some other lead instrument have it and hopefully the other lead players will do the same. This will go a long way in helping you enjoy yourself and make the other guys enjoy playing with you because in most cases I think this is not practiced and it becomes a free for all. It is rare to find another musician who knows how to lay out and when you remember this and do it the guys are going to love to play with you. It is an old concept that will carry you a long ways.
Also, don't try to play all your licks in every song. Keep it rather simple and have a ball.
Jerry
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 7:30 am    

Congratulations Michael! Keep Me posted so I can come see you sometime. I had to replace my vol pedal pot last week and bought an extra. If you will come to Cotton CLub some sunday I'll put it in for you. Call it a first paying gig award
E-mail me for my new cell phone number
Justin
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 7:55 am    

Listen to Jerry. If you pay attention to any country recording you'll see that the pedal steel isn't playing full blast from the beginning to the ending of the song. Some moron will always tell you, "Sounds good but your background playing isn't as loud as your leads and sometimes I can't hear you at all"......well, that's the way it's supposed to be! I've even had so-called "sound-men" make this dumb comment.....don't get me started on them.....anyway, hope you had a fun gig and many more in the future.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 14 February 2003 at 07:57 AM.]

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 8:11 am    

Michael:

Jerry Roller gave some great advice. To me, the true mark of a "pro" is to know when NOT to play. A steel is great for taking leads when necessary, but it is double-great for just holding sustained chords at low volume in the background when another musician has the lead. Also, please don't EVER play the melody along with the vocalist. If no one else is filling in behind the vocals, play a few "fill" notes or chords during the pauses between phrases.

The only thing I would add is: You play better steel than 99.9 percent of those who will be listening to you, so don't be concerned about the level of your experience. When your turn comes to play, back your ears and come on like Gangbusters.

Good luck.
Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 8:24 am    

Michael, you are about embark on a great adventure. I wish the best in all your playing endeavors.

Ken
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 9:08 am    

Excellent, good luck and have a great time.

The first of many I'm sure..

tp

Randy Pettit

North Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2003 9:09 am    

Michael:
Congratulations on your first paying gig! It brings back old memories for me playing around Aggieland. You are now well on your way to possibly breaking even $$$ (if you're lucky ). But who cares? Nuthin' beats playin'! Pretty soon, I expect to see a website with your gig schedule. Keep us posted.