| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  My Tribute To The Best Friends a Steel Guitar Ever Had
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2002 10:11 pm    

This is for those people who have worked so hard for the recognition of the Steel Guitar.

No this is not about me,,,,Its not about Leo
Fender,,Its not controversial,,nor do I have an agenda for writing this, Its not a "paid
polictical announcement" but it is a Thank You to those people I will write about. So if you take it as a paid announcement then we can say OK...Im paying back what I owe someone for the hard work and effort he put into his dream come true.

Sure I know,,there are some of you who will say..."what that guy again??" those long and boring stories again?.

Iam well aware of what I may be facing,,but you know what??? I dont care what those people think...Its more important to me to start this thread,,I done even care if no one
replies to it,,what matters to me,.is that I
say what I have to say.

I have been accused of long and boring stories on this Forum,,,and I agree they are long,,,,boring?? well maybe to some...I have been accused of running people off the Forum..who are these people? and where did they run to,,the Jerry Springer Show?

I have made it clear in the past that I dont look for controversy,,nor do I invite confrontations,,I dont care if you play a non pedal guitar or a pedal guitar with 15 floor pedals and 20 knee levers....its not what Im all about.

I prefer to feel Iam among friends,,for the most part that holds true..but there are those out there that would like to "strangle me" I know that...I have been threatened by a person to inflict bodily harm to me,because
of a stupid confrontation, I hold no grudges
I like everyone as long as they allow me space. I overlook the bad and look for the good, if the good is there somewhere thats a plus,,,if not,,,thats not my problem its the person who holds the grudge who has to live with that,,,,not me..

I read Events and Announcements to see what is going on of interest to me,,,I read "Extended Family" which makes me sad to see someone that is ill,,or someone asking for prayers for a loved one that has passed on.These are what is most important to me.

I dont enjoy the events of the past week which accused a person of wrong doing..right or wrong..I dont like to see that. We have enough to think about in this day and age,other than to attack each other..if those
who are being attacked are guilty,,,,they will have to owe up to that,,,If they are not guilty..those who accused them will have "egg on their faces" when the problem is resolved,,Thats not my problem,,I have my own problems.

This is about a good friend of mine whom I met way back in the very early 1950's,,,he was a young and aspiring steel guitar student
and his teacher would often bring him to a club close to where he lives to listen to me play.

I was young as well,,,maybe a few years older
than this fellow,but we had something in common,,,we both loved the steel guitar.

There were few if any live country music events going on in the area we lived in,,,,if anything the closest would be in Pennsylvania at a fair grounds,,,if we were
lucky we could hear WRVA on a clear night,,or maybe a real treat to listen to WSM
and the steel guitar of Jerry Byrd backing up
Red Foley.

This young man had a dream,,not only to become to play steel guitar,but more so for others to learn what the steel guitar is all about. I was able to get him his very first ever Fender Triple neck custom as I knew his
steel guitar teacher very well and my contacts with Fender were in effect as I was repping Fender at the time.

This young man slight in build but big in heart set out to get others interested in something he believed in and that was forming a group of players to help each other
in their quest to start something worthwhile
for steel guitar.

A small group of these young fellows had a meeting place,,it was in another fellow steel
enthusiasts garage,,,the story I heard was that this fellows dad had to move the car out of the garage to make room for the four or five people who would meet once a week or so.

Where is this going?? Is this getting boring?
Well,,,,to be honest I really dont care,Its more important to me that I post this to these people than my being accused of a long and boring story,,to me Its NOT boring,,,besides,,,what can anyone do to me?
can they fire me?? how? Im not getting paid for this,,Its not a job that I need. I have nothing to gain,,,nothing to sell,,,I just want to pay a tribute to a good friend and fellow musician, Bob Maickel.

Bob was the founder of that group of people who would meet weekly in a friends garage,,what would they accompolish?? was this a "hangout" what the hell,,,they could have been chasing girls instead,,.

They worked dilligently to work on ideas to find others who would express interest in the dream of Bob Maickle,,another veteran and fine steel player and entertainer was a man by the name of Jim Hand..he was the elder
statesman of the small group of fellows,,,another was a former student of mine Frenchy Messier,,another was a fellow whose name is Bart Hibbs....Im not certain if i spelled his name right.

It was Bob's dream way back to someday have great players of that time come east to play at a steel guitar show..but there was a problem....how do you pay for a steel player
to come a distance from "Nashville" as an example,,,so he had an idea,,,he would have local steel players work with a back up band and soon after Bob convinced an owner of a small club on Eastern Long Island to let him and his cronies play for no pay,,,but the owner would charge a very small fee,,and since it was on an off night,,what did the owner of the club have to lose.

It opened the door for Bob and his fellow steel players,,,,,the name of the club was called "The Stagecoach" an appropriate name for a club with some good country and western
swing music,,so what......they were easterners and not westeners,,,they played good and little by little..more and more people became aware of this venture of Bob's.

For the life of me,I dont know how he did it.he carried all the weight on his shoulders
and with the help of the very few was able to
form what we now known as the Pedal Steel Guitar Association.

I would often ask Bob in a careful manner,,,
where are you going with this thing??, his answer was,,I want to get the well known players from out west and from Nashville to one day come to New York and play for all of us.

I thought it was a great idea,,but,,,well we all have dreams,,so let him have his fun,,and fun he did.

His determination and hardwork was getting recognition from players around the country,
he first took on some local players from Connecticut,,Pennsylvania and other area's most were from his immediate area,,,this was a start.

The next step was getting a big name,,,,who would that be?? Buddy Emmons?? Bingo.....
Thats where it began,,,a new facility was located and Bob brought Buddy up from Nashville,,now who wouldnt want to see and hear and meet Buddy Emmons???.

Each year as his small budget allowed,he would contact players of national recognition
and try to work out a financial arrangement to have that player or players some up to his
place that he called Steel Guitar Heaven.

There were times,he had to meet a payroll that by far exceeded his take on admissions,,he was all the time in control and somehow knew he could suceed.

He then had another idea....getting a club together and having a "newsletter" with information dealing with steel guitars and nothing else,,,he would charge a nominal fee
just to cover the cost of mailing,,but the newsletter was the start of interest for many
players who were for the most part aspiring steel guitarists,,,they were not pro's,,they didn earn a living playing music,,but they worked their butts off to keep the interest building.

If this is getting too long,,,,thats OK because Im not finished yet.

Soon,,,,Bob was able to get people like De Witt Scott another pioneer who knew what Bob was trying to do,,Bob and Scotty worked together so to speak,,like one hand washes the other, and soon Scotty became a main attraction at Bobs annual shows.

The word was out,,Scotty knew the players,,Bob had his work cut out for himself
,,now it was time for another big name,,how about Lloyd Green??? What Lloyd Green come to New York?? and play for Bob Maickle? yes
Lloyd did,,,,then came Herb Remington...Herby Wallace,,Joe Wright,,Jeff Newman,, Tom Morrell, Doug Jernigan,,etc etc
each year he would try to book a big name player,,conflicts started,,,the players Bob counted on had to cancel due to a previous
commitments...what does he do..he advertises a Big name and then,,,gets cancelled....what would the people say? what would they think?

Bobs shoulders weathered many a hardship buthe held his own and was determined to make
this dream a reality..new and talented players came along,,,Jim Cohen a fellow from Pennsylvania started doing the PSGA shows,,his playing attracted other players and the mold was set. Tommy White etc.

John Hughey a superstar,,,appreared,,,Joe Wright a new and innovative talent came along
Paul Franklin came aboard,,,soon it got to where Bob had to find a spot for these great players as his list of players and people who
wanted to appear were waiting for a spot on the show each year,,,all this from a little
garage on the eastern part of Long Island,,amazing,,,Oh how easy it was...what a snap,,,yeah right...It took a man with a dream and a heart to live this dream out to see it happen.

OK...so this is long and maybe getting redundant..where does that leave me,,can they
fire me off here?? How? I dont get paid..can the Sheriff lock me up and throw the key away?? I dont know,,,he probably can..if he does,,,I have friends who are handy with hack saw's and I'll be out in no time.

This may very well be my last post on here..
That remains to be seen,,if so,,,thats OK..I said what I had to and I feel that it is all
of you who should be thankful to Bob Maickel for all he has done for steel guitar.....this
is about YOU....not me...The Doug Beaumeiers
the other great players,,,who are gracious to
offer their time to play for Bob and his group of fine people.....Doug sorry If I mis-spelled your name.

John DeMaille a fine steel player and highly
underated,,,he is modest as Emmons is great,his wife Darlene who can belt out anything from pop to country,,,Jeff DeMaio..
a young man with an exceptional amount of talent and his great group "GunSmoke" man can that kid play and sings great as well.
His dad and brother round out a great western
swing band.

Doug Mack,,,,,the fellow that invented the Mack Truck only kidding Doug "he's bigger than me. Winnie Winston another pioneer and driving force in the PSGA,,,,me??? Im a Professional Advisor,,I dont really have any advice other than this...if you think Im boring and talk too much,,I "advise you to stop reading this,,,it can be harmful to your
health..

This my friends is only the beginning,,,,I have another friend who is the key to much of the sucess of the PSGA,,,,but since its getting late back here and my pups have no regard for my tribute...I have to pay "tribute to them and take them for a walk
before a problem may occur...and I dont need
that...I tried to "advise them to hold it in, but they are quick on the draw,,,I'll be back....thats not a warning its a promise..

I have more to say..if I get the opportunity
If not..well just remember these words and as our great President George W. would say...
Make No Mistake..I will be back..I have another hero I want to pay tribute to..he is the best friend a steel player ever had...his name....MIKE GROSS,,,,,,stay tuned
This is about YOU all Of YOU...Im only the messenger,,,,you can kill me but Im only the messenger...if I die....others will come and
make your life miserable..make No Mistake About That...

Goodnite and thank you Bob...It has been my good fortune to have you as a friend all these years,,,,I told you NOT to sell your Fender...

Later my friend,,,,,the dogs are about to go into the chorus..... If I missed anyone or anything or need to be corrected..I would welcome that,,,I will not read your comments
I realize there are afew if not many that will be happy to see me leave this Forum...did I hear "applause"??? oh maybe it was one of the pups hitting a low C,,,,doo wah.. It really dont matter,,,what you see is what you get,,I have a life,,,this is a sideline..I rob banks for a living and beat up old ladies and steal their handbags,,,,,

There is a few bucks in that..but watch out for old ladies that have a "Black Belt". They
can pack a helluva wallop to the lower part of your body and that can result in Cabinet
Drop among other things... Its 10 PM do you know where your dog is?? look in the shower.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 06 June 2002 at 09:17 AM.]

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 12:06 am    

Keep it coming Jody
You should know by know there are more of us that enjoy your posts than don't - and like you say - if they don't want to read, they can see your name there, they don't even have to click on it - go straight to Jerry Springer, do not pass go...
Hope you and Marilyn are doing ok.
You're doing a great job of injecting some goodwill and good thoughts into the communication cosmos (?!)
Take care
Nick
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 6:21 am    

Should I ever have pause to wonder why I like this Gentle Man so much, all I would have to do is go back into the Forum and read what he has written. Like every true steel guitarist, Jody does it his own way and I respect him for doing that. He is as unique as a Bigsby and as friendly a person you would ever want to acquaint yourself with. He thinks of us in the same way we think of our instruments of music and he sings to us in a similar manner. If it wasn't for Bob, there would be no PSGA. If it wasn't for b0b, there would be no Forum and if it wasn't for Jody Carver, neither organization would have any soul or heart !!

Best Regards, Paul

[This message was edited by Paul Graupp on 05 June 2002 at 08:31 AM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 7:45 am    

Jody-I amd glad to have read your post and Bob Maickel is quite a guy! Good post.

Paul- I must agree with your sentiments. You sure know how to put words together.

I remember reading your Frets Magazine column every month, about steel guitar.

Thanks for your efforts over those years...al
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 7:56 am    

Thank you Tony,,My Thanks to you as well Paul

Due to the overwhelming requests I have received,,,Iam going to post again in spite
of this.

I neglected to mention a few poeple last night as I was hurrying to finish my "novel"
The hour was late,,my pups have poor bladder
control,and in the distance,I could hear the
hoofbeats of the Sheriff's horse coming to get me,,it was time to head for the pass & hide out for awhile,,,,so since there is a three hour time difference I think Im safe as he is more than likely asleep,,he gets tired from moving all these threads from one place to the other,,,frankly,,I dont know how he does it?.

How does he move a thread as long and as heavy as my threads??. But hey,,,somebodys got to do it,,so why not the Sheriff?

The person I forgot to give credit is Cathy
Maickle,,,Bobs lovely wife who I have known
most of my life. She too has been an important factor in the success of the PSGA..
not only does she do much of the photography that you see in the Newsletter,,,which by the way is published 10 times a year,,but she
helps co-ordinate the PSGA shows as well.

Imagine having a dedicated wife can can withstand the steel guitars played at high levels of volume for hours on end day and night at the various steel guitar shows around the country,,,man what patience,,,and in addition have to be married to a "ham radio operator" trying desperatly day and night trying to reach the Pentagon to speak with George W. to try to sell our president
on attending a PSGA show, that takes a brave
and determined woman to live under those circumstances and for that,,,,my hats off,,howver I dont wear a hat,,but anyway,,,,its for my appreciation to Cathy Maickle. She is one of a kind. She does the job as wife and therapist which every steel guitar player should have. Dont leave home without your therapist.

The next person is a long time friend whom I haven't seen since 1960,,,he was a pupil of mine,,,I taught him 7 chords in 2 years,,somehow I was not able to communicate
with him,,,no fault of his,,,I found that his
craving for Marilyns homemade chocolate cookies was his primary interest in taking lessons from me,,,,I would ask him to review
his prior lesson and would say,,,,well,,,,,
can I have another cookie if I do??.

He learned the 7 chords,,he started out weighing 130 Lbs and 7 chords and 2 years later he played the same 7 chords and weighed
200 Lbs...he got his moneys worth,,at least the cookies were good even if my teaching was
lousy.

He like a few others I mentioned before played an important role in the development and success of the PSGA nany years ago. One
thing I could never figure out about him,,,,,
His name is "Frenchy" he is NOT French,,so why do they call him Frenchy,,they should call him "Cookie",,,his last name is Messier
...that too puzzled me,,,he was no "messier" than any one of us and we were all very neat
for the most part,,very strange indeed,,but a nice fellow,,,,who now resides in New Mexico,,he must have given up the "cookies" for Tortilla's,,,wonder what he weighs now??
His wife Carol was a sweetheart as well,,.

I find most steel players have nice wives in spite of being married to weird husbands who spend too much time looking for a chord that
they dont need anyway,,,I mean so what??? 20 years from now,,,,who the hell will care about your knee lever setup,,tunings,,,,,do you wear shoes or play in your bare feet??
who cares..None of anyone's business that I wear my wifes high heels when I practice,,I can use my toe as well as my heel,,,ask Smiley and Bobbe,,,they taught me that.But they are sort of weird as well,,,dontcha think?? sure you do.

The PSGA has come a long way since the early
days of meeting in the garage,,I dont care if it was a two car garage,,it was still a
bit difficult sitting on those old tires,,one could see the tire tread on the back of one's trousers,,,was it a Firestone?
or a Goodyear?? you could tell only if the tires had studs,,,there were holes in the pants.

Early on,,Bob had to search high and low for people to perform at his shows,,but that has changed,,players from all over the United States as well as other parts of the country
contact Bob and ask if there is an opening for another player to perform,,he tries hard to accomodate each and everyone,,but its difficult, he he does his very best.

John DeMaille is another fine player with a wife right behind him,,Darlene is another prime example of the teamnwork that goes into
the PSGA,,,ask John about the story of a person who takes showers with his dog,,go ahead,,ask him,,,Oh the heck with it,,let me tell you,,,OK? getting tired of me?? well I
dont really care,,Im going to make it or break it,,I mean with all due respect..this is important to me to let you all or in some cases'''Ya'll know about this story.

There was this guy (true story) who had this
Lahasa Apso dog,,who was terrified at having a bath,,,none of the groomers would wash this dog,,,,the dog would go "ballistic" at the sight of a bath.

The owner had an idea,,how about taking a shower with the dog? I mean the dog really smelled bad,,OK he tried it,,,this is his story.

He put the doggie in the shower and before turning on the water,,,,offered the doggie a treat,,,,,here doggie,,,,here doggie,,,,good boy,,now the water is turned on,,,the dog starts to hyperventilate,,,gotta hurry and get this dog washed. Natrually the owner was naked as was the dog,,did you ever see a person take a shower with his clothes on??
Not me,,after the dog fought to get out of that terrible cubicle of Horror,,"the shower stall",,,,he was soaking wet,,,the owner patiently tried to dry the dog off as fast as he could,,,,the Lhasa has a long tail and when its wet,,,its like a "whip"....as the owner tried to re-assure the dog that the worst was over,,,something happened,,,,,,,,,,
the wet whip like tail wrapped itself around
the private parts of the owner,,(true story)
as the dog moved to get out of the bathroom
the owner felt a sharp and burning sensation of the private parts....he knew that he was in big trouble,,,he was not able to unwrap the long wet whip like tail from the sensitive area,,,,all at once the owner realized that he and his dog has this "connection" here Doggie,,,,here Boy..but the whip pulled harder and harder..the owner then got on his knees and kneeled behind the dog,,and tried to put some
slack between the dog and himself,,,,the dog was neutered,,,,why should the owner suffer the same fate as the dog,,,no one ever gave me
treats when taking a shower,,,,how was I to know this would happen,,,I mean ,,,how was this fellow to know this would happen???

So as John knows who this fellow is,,if and when you can come to a PSGA show,,get John on the side and ask him about this story.

This is getting too long,,as long as my doggies tail,,,I mean the owners tail,,,,this is a tail,,not a tale.

You see it pays to be a PSGA memeber,,I have been for many years,,,but unfortuntly for one reason or another have not attended a PSGA show till this past November,,I realized
how much I have missed,,one of my highlight's
was meeting someone special,,,a fellow Forum
member who uses the name of Howard R........

Howard??? Howard WHO??? Howard ya like to take a shower with my dogs,,I mean the other
fellows dog??? Howard presented the very best
review of the PSGA show this past November,,he is my partner in comedy,,we laugh together and cry together when we both look at our telephone bill at months end.

So as a Technical advisor I can only offer you this simple advice,,,,you could have avoided all this jibber jabber of mine,,by simply putting your hand in your pocket and taking out $22.00 and join the PSGA,,,there is room for you,,,,Its the best "bang for the buck you will ever get....and besides..sticking your hand in your pocket may give you another treat as well...

If Im here after this fine,,,If not thats OK too,,,but as a friend of my buddy Mike Gross taught me......

WE DONT STOP PLAYING BECAUSE WE GET OLD..

WE GET OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING...and as for taking some additional technical advice from this advisor,,,,when you dog needs a bath
take him or her to the groomer,,,DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.......

See you later for another important part of the PSGA story,,,, I have a suggestion for bOb Lee,,,,,if these posts and threads get too heavy to move,,,e mail Dave Van Allen,,Dave is a big strong guy who can move
mountains......later maybe ,,,ya never know,,

The Knight Of The Tweed Case...PS that was hung on me by my friend MIKE BLACK and you know what??? I like it...I even wear Fender tweed underwear...will be back again some time,,,,stay tuned,,If I dont call you,,call me,,its your nickel later my friends and enemies as well,,,

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 05 June 2002 at 09:16 AM.]

Bill Hamner

Hueytown,AL USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 9:17 am    

Hi Jody,

Bill
John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 12:37 pm    

Jody, my friend it's just too far and few between your stories. Keep em a comin' !!! Sorry I haven't been in very good contact with you in a while but have been having some health problems myself. Just got back out od the "HORSE-PISTOL" a few weeks ago myself.Things ARE gettin' better. I think I'm gonna re-name you DOCTOR JODY, ESQUIRE, cause your stories are good medicine. Hey, I'm ready for my next dose of medicine anytime now. Just keep it coming. LUV YA CUZZ !!!

------------------
"Let's go STEEL something"
If it feels good, do it. If it feels COUNTRY, do it twice
jpp

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 1:54 pm    

Hi Al,,Hello John,,,Whats happening Bill ?

John,,,Im sorry to hear of your health problems...my wife and myself have a similar
problem. But I will pray for your health & I appreciate your compliments,,I dont get too many latley..the doctors dont compliment me,,,they are always picking on me. deleted
as Im not a dirty old man.... : Before I forget one of the most important things re the PSGA,,,,,,The backup band is by far the best I have ever heard,,,,you can take Herbie
Wallace's word for that..ditto Joe Wright,,

I have had the opportunity to play with these fine musicians,,and they without having a rehearsel able to cut anything you put in their path.

Many of the players commented on the exceptional talent of these people..so before
this thread is over and done with..I would like to mention those who work so hard to make the PSGA shows the best of all,,,,

Bruce Chappell Bass
Van Manakas Lead guitar
Larry Eagle Drums
Fooch Fischetti (an Irishman)Fiddle
Don Cerce Jr..Lead guitar (you should hear Don Cerce Sr. play..wow,,,,,what a father & son team.

Bob,,,if I have left anyone out,,,it is unintentional,,I do get these moments at times
you know how it is when you reach 40 years of age.

This is a great group of musicians who play a
steady 10 hours without a break. They are what make up what I beleive to be the best
steel guitar organization in the world.

Since time is winding down,,I want to express
to all these people I mentioned in this thread,,I have the utmost respect and admiration for each and everyone of them,,both as human beings, as well as the Great
Musicians that they are,,,I think they have the best of both worlds with the attributes I mention, No ego trips here...this is a Team
of Pros.."Make No Mistake About That"

Goodbye and thanks for your comments,,Im sure those associated with the PSGA appreciate all the nice compliments.

My thoughts are this,,,,where would those who have played at the PSGA been able to exhibit their playing abilities if it were not for the man responsible for this????BOB MAICKEL.
Thanks Bob,,,wished we could do
it all over as we did in 1954. My Best to all
of you. My garage is bigger than yours.

Jody PS leave a few free passes for me in Norwalk 2002,,, Im finished,,,listen to that applause Hurrah,,,,he's Finally Gone.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 06 June 2002 at 07:35 AM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 10:27 pm    

One thing which can never be denied...Jody is his own man and what a guy he is! I have never met Bob and most probably never will, but through Jody I have come to "know" him in a real sense. Keep the storys coming Jody. As I have told you many times, you have been there, done that, and you have so much to relate to us of your fabulous steel guitar career. God bless both you and Marilyn as you struggle with your health problems.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 3:37 pm    

George
Thank you for your always fine comments,,"You make me feel so young" You Make me feel like Spring has Sprung" Oh my,,,,Frank sang that
years back...anyway..that was a nice post you made and Im certain Bob will appreciate your kind words.

Yes,,Im sorry as well that you may never get to meet Bob,,he is a compassionate and un-selfish human being.

What most people are not aware is that Bob played great non-pedal steel,,I first heard Bob way back in the 1950's and he was coming
along fast as a player, He teamed up with a fellow by the name of Luke Lucas,,,and wow...
together they played their $sse's off.

I couldnt believe what I was hearing,,,could this be the same skinny kid I met a few years back??. They (Bob & Luke) did twin guitars like I have never heard before,,I think it was time for me to take some pointers from him,,, Bob was chief sound engineer at CBS for many years,,,he did all of the network TV and radio audio segments and shows,,not many people are aware of that.

Had Bob seriously pursued a musical career,he would have been one of the top steel players of our time..he chose to stay with CBS....and retired and is now enjoying
his retirement planning shows etc...
He has also played at Scottys Show a few years back as well as playing in England,,,Bob was and still is a fine steel player and Make No Mistake About That Sir George,,,

Thank you from Bob and myself,,,,I could learn a thing or two from Bob,,,he;s a fine guy as well....cant you tell how much I love the guy???
Thanks from all of us who admire Bob Maickle
He's ONE OF A KIND......PS...yes there is always a PS from me,,,,Bob was playing a Fender Triple Custom guitar at that time,,it
was one that I was able to get for him as I knew his teacher Dick Quigley very well.

Bob had been a "Fender Booster" and helped me
get the Fender guitar line going through his playing ability etc....one more quick one for you.....

Bob called me and asked for a 1000 Fender pedal guitar,,,,sure why not...I got one for him. One night about a year later Johnny Cucci and myself had just finished playing a
gig on Long Island with the Hot Club,,,we both went to see and hear Bob and Luke at a
club on Long Island.

John listened to a few sets and turned to me & said,,,,did you say you gave this kid a few pointers??? or was it the other way around,,

Rather than pursue his musical dream as a player,,,he was with a higher element,,,,why
he knew Walter Cronkite and always did Mr. Cronkite's shows as chief engineer.....he knew all the big guys at CBS,,,,,,then when
Fender was bought out by CBS....It was old home week as Bob and myself were again together.Dan Rather,was another who was who was one of Bob's responsibilities ...all these big wigs and they had to depend on Bob for the sound audio
I wonder what would have happened if Bob shut
the mike off on a few of these commentators?
I bet bOb Lee would like to shut this mike off on me,,would you do that to me Mr.Lee??

I has hoped Bob could get me my own Late night show,,,I didnt want to be "pushy" but I
think I could have done a better job than Pat
Sajak,,,,what did he have that I dont have.?

Where is Sajak now?? look where Iam..Im doing
my own Late Night Show here every night. No
pay,,,but who needs the money,,you know what money is to me? its $...T....ask me for money
....you know what you get??? you guessed it,,
$...T.

He was a great player,,both non pedal and pedal steel. Most of all he is even a greater human being than most anyone I have ever known and you can take that to the bank.

He did all the popular "soap opera's as well as the major network "Special's.

The tune,,,"There will Never Be Another You" applies to Bob Maickel and a select group of people in my life,,,,,he is one of the top of that group. Im proud to have him as my friend. There is much more to Bob than I can say here,,but you can rest assured,,his name will be in my Fender book...Make No Mistake About That. Thanks George you are a cool guy
and a fine musician yourself....wanna be in my book???? send me picture's

Later my friend. I edited to brag on Bob,,and he deserves every bit of it. Im a "soap opera in itself" thats why he likes me. No commercials please. Just join the PSGA
and you too can be like me. $22.00 a year and you will be glad you did,,,look at how happy Iam

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 06 June 2002 at 09:56 PM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 10:03 pm    

Jody, I'll bet Bob is embarrassed as hell reading all that nice stuff you wrote about him. He must be quite a guy ... one of those "special" people to meet in one's lifetime if we happen to be so lucky...You can consider yourself lucky in that respect.
Then again, he is also lucky to have you as his friend.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2002 4:57 am    

Your check is in the mail,,,,do not deposit till July. Im a little short,,I have exceeded
my quota of payouts for this thread,,,,Get On
Line..someone will be with you shortly,,,,

Thanks again George,,,,,,yes,,,he must be embarssed,,,when he is,,,he hides in the closet with his guitars . To Those of you who have not as yet received payment for your generous support,,,,,contact me,,,operators are standing by ,,,your call may be monitored for quality assurance,,PLS
NO VULGARITY WILL BE TOLERATED..........you too can be famous someday.E mail Me for details,,,, HURRY,,,THIS OFFER EXPIRES SOON,,,,,BUT WAIT,,,IF YOU CALL NOW,,,I WILL
MAKE YOU DOUBLE FAMOUS,,YOU WILL RECEIVE A
DOUBLE ROLL OF "CHARMIN: BUT PLEASE DONT SQUEEZE IT,,,Oh it hurts me so much,,
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 6:15 am    

Since I always try to finish something I started,,I will do just that with my Tribute
to Bob Maickel.

What little I wrote about Bob (maybe more than some of you needed) There is much more I could say about this man.

When I was a Fender sales "Regional Sales Manager" "ya like that title they gave me"?

I had an office at 51 West 52nd St,,Manhattan
in the CBS building which was reffered to as
"Black Rock". You can imagine how many well
known people and celebrities walked through
that building,,NO I wasn't a celebrity,,
in fact I never really could understand why
CBS insisted I have an office in the Corporate headquarters,,Oh." So what...I did deliver the lunch to people so what,,,,big deal,,,,does that make me a bad guy??.

My duties (never knew what they were) was to work with the A& R people with regard to having equipment available to the groups such as "Blood Sweat & Tears,,,Bob Dylan (thats another story in itself). Paul Revere and the Raiders,,I never thought Paul Revere
was so young,,,,,I heard and read about him when I was in Grammar school,,,,this guy didnt show his age. Facelifts?? I dont know,,

At any rate..my being in the CBS building offered me many opportunities to work with these nice people,,,and during this time,,while I was on the 14th floor doing all of this fun kind of thing,,,Bob was busy
with the really important people,,,the CBS
Anchor Men,,,,Dan Rather,,,Jim Jensen,,etc etc,,hey Bob even suggested I do the CBS weather report on TV,,but he thought I would have to shorten up my way of telling a story
and to that,,,I had to decline,.

Every one of importance knew Bob Maickel's capabilities as a fine engineer and the qualities as a human being that I have brought out as clear as I could during this thread.

I remember one day,,walking along 6th Ave and Rockefeller Plaza,with Bob,,a familiar face stopped us and said,,,Hi Bob,,where do you think your'e going??? this man had a big smile on his face,,,it was Dan Rather,,Bob turned to me and said....Jody I
would like for you to meet Dan,,I was overcome with suprise that Bob knew Rather as
well as he did, I shook Dan Rather's hand and he then said,,,,,did you fella's have lunch yet?? Oh I was hoping Bob would have said NO...but to which he replied,,Dan,,,we have already had our lunch.

Bob had explained to Rather who I was and what my job was with CBS,,,he seemed to be a warm and friendly kind of regular guy. His parting words to me were,,,"quote" your name is Jody?? am I correct?? I said yes sir,,he said,,,well dont keep this guy too long,,I have a show to do,,and most of all ,,,keep him out of trouble,.

These are only a few of the things I can say
about Bob Maickel,,,,those of you who know him are not aware of his talent and ablity as
an engineer at the CBS corporate level.

You know him as plain ole Bob,,well thats the
way he likes it,,,but I for one know all too well what Bob Maickel is made of,,,and I think his modesty and love for the steel guitar is of much more importance to him other than his backround as one of the BEST sound engineer's at CBS.

These are the things many,, and maybe all of you would never know,,,and to many who couldnt care less,,,but to ME.....they make
up what I feel as being one of my very best friends,and to me,,,knowing him as I do has
been my good fortune,,,,they say that "old friends are like Gold,,that rings true for my
feelings for Bob Maickle.

He's a PRO as a HUMAN BEING and then some....

Thanks to those of you who e mailed me off line regarding my tribute to Bob,,as many of you are aware,,,,there are people who dont post on this Forum and are looking in without
making themselves be known,,they like their privacy and I will oblige and not mention their names.
But to all of them,,,,,I can only say Thank You for the nice comments about my Tribute to Bob Maickel.....he's a good friend as to Bob I say this.....Bob,,I wish you the Best of Everything that life has to offer, you have given much to all if us who have had the pleasure of knowing you,,,Hey Dan Rather
c'mom jump in here and say something..

Thank you and Goodbye,,,,,,PS "yeah there's ,more.......Last November I attended
the first PSGA show in 8 years,,,,When the review of the PSGA show came out a few weeks
later,,,Bob made a few comments expressing his thanks to all who attended and performed.

He made a comment about my coming to the show
as referring that, as being the "icing" on the cake" well if that is so,,,then Bob is the "candle" that sits high above the "icing" that sits high above the cake.

He "outshines" many people I know and have known. He is the one that "Glows & Shines" above the rest.

Im catching up however with all this radiation,,,you can even see me in the dark.

No more to say,,,I have said it all. Last one
I promise you all,,,or better yet Ya'll

Jody Carver...I like to tell nice stories about nice people,,,,even if they are Long.and so what if they are??? you got a problem with that??

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 10 June 2002 at 06:24 PM.]

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 7:28 am    

Yeah JODY, A big problem LOL, There ain't enough OF EM !!! NUFF SAID

------------------
"Let's go STEEL something"
If it feels good, do it. If it feels COUNTRY, do it twice
jpp

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 10:04 am    

Jody.........ALWAYS giving to others....of his time, his enthusiasm and his positive,
heartfelt praise of those he admires. Never met Jody, but feel like I've known him a life time. Never heard him say a bad word about ANYONE!
Musicians historically have been rumored to be lower than a nearly always, almost honest used-car salesman.... In Jody's case, to be sure, he is at the top of the heap of truly wonderful, sensitive, sharing and caring people. He gives generously in all that he does.....without thought of even a kind word in return.
We Forumites are very fortunate indeed, to have JODY CARVER among us here. I feel honored and would like so much to have the opportunity to meet him during this lifetime.
THanks Jody for your latest fine post. You cannot move forward when looking over your shoulder at the one or two detractors that might have carved out a nich here among the rest of us.

No matter what THEY might think or say...
they most likely are still trying after many years......to learn how to tune their six string geetar.

Keep 'em coming Jody. YOU are among friends here on the Forum.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 12:12 pm    

My Friend Ray
You make me feel humbled by your comments,,I cannot express how you make me feel. I want to offer what I would like to consider all
things considered to be...................

One More For The Road.

As most of you are aware by this time...my wife and myself are fighting a disease.
Marilyn is not responding to the chemo-therapy as well as the doctors hope she would.

I try to spend as much time with her as I can,,I spend most of my time on this computer,,,sometimes too much time. It gives
me a chance to try to occupy my mind with other things to get my mind off of the issue
that faces both of us.

I have been posting on here for app: 2 years
now,and when I look back at some of the posts I have made,,I wonder,,now why did I say that,,or why did I say this,,I have been
often times critisized for my stories of what has been called "ancient history" I know it gets monotonous and boring to many,,
and Ray,,,,you yourself know what I have been confronted with in the past.

I try to overlook things that have been said about me,,I have tried many times to stop
posting and leaving myself open.

I realize when Iam wrong,,Im not perfect in any way..other than the length and sometimes
boring same old tune stories.

My dad passed away in 1986,,he was a great
entertainer,,song writer and started many
years ago in vaudeville with whom he worked
along side of the biggest names in Sho Biz.

I cant mention all the names,,,it would take
forever,,,Danny Kaye,,Red Skelton,Edgar Bergen,Jack Benny, Fred Allen to name a few,
Judy Garland,Mickey Rooney and the list goes
on and on.

He was a prince of a guy and a great father,he would often say to me when I would
get upset at something or somebody,,Jody ...
there is good in most everyone...some people
have a little "rust" under their skin,,but
once you scrape the "rust" off you will find
a good person.

I dont come close to my Dad as a person,,I have to live to be 100 to even stand in his
shoes,,,. My time here will be limited soon
if not altogether finished. There is nothing
personal in my decision to leave this other
than the fact that my wife needs more of my
attention.

Iam aware of the issues that face both Marilyn as well as myself. Her situation however is a bit different than mine.

I have made many friends on this Forum and I can only say that all things considered have never regretted a moment of my particpating on here,,well almost sometimes I did sure
but like a "bad penny" I always came back.

People such as yourself,,Paul Graupp,,Gene Jones,,Keoki Lake,,John J. Phillips,, and others have shown their support for me,there
are others,but you people have been the foundation for me.

Someone e mailed me and commented that he read between the lines on my thread here about Bob Maickel,,his comment was his feeling was that I was saying Goodbye,,,I really didnt think it showed,,,but I will for now say Goodbye until things improve here at home,,,I want to end this with something I found in my dad's billfold after
he passed away. He carried it with him for years,,and I carry it now.

Its called

THE CLOCK OF LIFE

The Clock Of Life Is Wound But Once
And No Man Has The Power To Tell Just When The Hands Will Stop At Late Or Early Hour.

Now Is The Only Time You Own,,,Live, Love,
Toil With A Will.
Place No Faith in "Tomorrow" For The Clock
May Then Be Still. Zeb Carver my dad.

I want to say this,,,you have all given much to me,,some more than others but I want to
take this time for Marilyn and Myself to thank all of your for your good wishes and prayers..Marilyn is still my Baby,,,,so here's One For My baby and One More For The
Road.

Ray I never sold cars,,,but I did sell Encyclopedia's and yes,,they did give the proud owner a "free bookcase"

While all of you are at it,,,Please say a
special prayer for Paul Graupp,,,he needs your prayers.

Thanks Ray and to all you people.
See you in the funny papers.

Your friend

Jody.
George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 7:13 pm    

Look folks, while you are saying a prayer for Paul, please include BOTH Jody and Marilyn. Those two have been married for 48 years. They celebrated their past anniversary in February in a hospital room as Marilyn was undergoing still more tests. All of us want to see them celebrate their 50th and beyond...how many musicians, (besides myself), do you know who have been married for 50 years ? Not many, I'll bet! But it just goes to show you what kind of a guy Jody is...loyal, faithful, loving plus being so damned highly talented. (I'll carry his guitar case anytime!) This is and will be a tough year for both Jody and Marilyn, so please send those messages "Upstairs" when you are thinking of Paul.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 5:35 pm    

Sam White
This is the "rest of the story" Bob is busy
lining up his stint for the St.Louis show.
If you can stand long stories,,this is the answer to your question...and then some,,,sorry you asked?

"Lets Ride With Bob."

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 20 August 2002 at 06:39 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 8:59 pm    

Ask Walter Cronkite and Dan Rather about Bob
and I,,they are both "charter members of the
PSGA,,,.Bet none of you ever met em..

I picked up the check for Walt and Dan one time,,Walt had the Big Mac with fries and a shake,,Dan had a Double Cheeseburger,,no problem parking,,,we did the drive thru.

Bob just got em to join the PSGA,,,,,one never knows,,,rumor has it Cronkite may show
up in Norwalk Connecticut with Martha Stewart
come November,,then maybe we'll hear the rest
of the story.
Doyle Huff

Broken Arrow, OK USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2002 6:35 am    

Jody,What you said about Bob Maickle is ALL TRUE. I have known Bob and Cathy for many years and better people you can not find. They took in this ole Okie and made me one of the family. I am blessed to get to work the PSGA booth with them every year. That's where I met you a few years ago.
Take of yourself and your lovely wife.you can write all of those threads you want and I WILL read them. Hope to see you again.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2002 5:49 pm    

Thank you Doyle.
Those who know Bob as we do,,know what kind of a person he is. It is those who know little or nothing about Bob that bark the loudest.

Enough of this,,be well and wish you guys a good show in St.Louis and remember me to Speedy and Scotty....

Jody

A Bob Maickel fan
Greg Sullivan

Poughqaug New York
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2003 8:01 am    

This certainly is a great story. I have been
looking through the archives for anything that Jody wrote and as many years as I have known him, he seldom mentions what he has done or takes credit for the same.

I have never met this Gentlemen Bob Maikel,but he must be one heck of a guy.

I'm pleased to see someone like Jody Carver who is not self centered and gives praise to people he feels deserve it and from what I read here,this fellow Bob deserves all the credit as Jody wrote about him.

Thank you Jody for another nice story. You continue to amaze me.

Your friend
Greg
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2003 10:36 am    

Why Thank You Greg.
What a nice thing for you to say. This is a good time for me to segue into something new.

If you think this is a "Paid Political" announcement, you may be right. I have been a member of Bob Maickels PSGA since the very early days as you have read in this thread.

It has paid me in many ways over the years.
Knowing Bob is one of the payments I received
and knowing all the people who have put so much into the PSGA is my way of being paid.

I missed this years show, and due to personal
problems was not able to attend. I did hear very favorable comments on the show this past November and I am waiting for my copy
of the Newsletter to read Howard R's review.

From the little I have heard,it was one of the best shows ever.

And God willing if all goes well with myself and my wife, I am hoping that Bob invites me
to play among all those great players he has at his yearly show. I hope I can cut the mustard.

And Greg, you being an enthusiastic kind of person,I beleive you should become a member.

Its the best bang for the buck. And my friend,
thank you for digging this out again.It came at the right time. Careful with that Shovel,you can get me in trouble.

I'm getting my chops back and hope if Bob asks,I will be there and play.

Thank you Greg,and you can help me carry my gear. Thanks again. edited for spelling.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 04 February 2003 at 02:29 PM.]

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 4:57 am    

Jody..boring ? I think not..I'de rather term it a history lesson..some of us actually studied in school and know ( or may remember )some things today..and some of us did not...the latter group was probably hanging out on 48th street..NYC....

Anyway..I was very fortunate to be able to hook up with Bob and his PSGA team way back in the earliest stages. Every now and then we would drive to Long Island from Ct to some local Gin Mill and watch and listen to the local players. It was really pretty amazing. Here in the middle of the Northeast , out on Long Island somewhere were these Pedal Steel guitar players and a grass roots organization to promote the Instrument and players..right there in New York...You know what they say..You can find anything in New York !

The very first professional Steel Guitar concert I ever went to was promoted by Bob and the PSGA , the player..well.... who else could a new young player like me get to ring my bell and turn this thing into a life long endeavour ? yes , The BIG E...

I spoke with Bob on and off for a few years and after I relocated to North Carolina I pretty much left the Steel scene..still was a fan, just didn't play anymore.

Along about the end of 2001 I jumped back into Steel and the Community, largely due to this forum, and last year I was able to meet up with Bob again in St. Louis.

Some of the Ct. players back then that I was hanging with and would be able to see and listen too regularly were Ray Gantek, Harry Guffee, Tom Riley, John Woodgrin, Dave Pierce and Jeff Demaio . There were plenty more but these were the cats that I was most familar with.

By the way, anybody reading know what happened to Ray Gantek or Harry Guffee ?

Ray was one of the premier players in the area on Steel and Tele'..

oh well..moving on.....

how about that book ?

You could talk Fender and Steel..all that stuff that that most of us don't have a clue about..

keep it comin'

tp
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2003 5:31 am    

To Jody,
I'm a relative newcomer here in the SGF, and I, like many others, am quite interested in your book and its progress.
I'm a copy-editor/proofreader, in addition to being a musician, and I live in Central NJ, which is just a stone's throw from where you are. If there's any way that I could be of assistance, don't hesitate to ask, it would be my pleasure.
With respect,
Mike Neer