| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vibroverb amp build questions
Rich Hlaves

Wildomar, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2010 11:19 am    

I've got this JBL D130 laying around and I figure what better use for it but to build a Vibroverb clone to put it in. I'm thinking of using the 6G16 circuit this way I have bias modulating tremelo. What do you guys think, 6G16, AA763 or AB763 circuits?

Anybody out there that has built one and would care to comment on their outcome? I plan to use mercury transformers, Sprague filter caps, Mallory 150s everywhere else and carbon comp resistors except on the cap board.

My other possibilty would be to build a high power Deluxe Reverb with beefy trannies and 2 6L6GCs in the power section. Might do bias trem if I go this route. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Rich
Danny Hall

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2010 7:05 pm    

Depends eh? I have always felt that the AB763 is the quintisential Fender "Clean" machine. The earlier schemes are a little more gritty, with the exception of the Princeton perhaps and some others with concertina or other single triode phase inverters.

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2010 5:08 am    

Hi Rich
I would do the AB763 circuit, and use the bias mod trem instead of the LDR trem. The 6G16 has less power, say 35 watts vs. 45 watts. Personally, I would also use a solid state rectifier for a bit more output power, and less heat.
I built something similar a few years ago, but used the 5F6A circuit, and added trem and reverb. Sounded great with a D130...Jerry
Rich Hlaves

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2010 1:22 pm    

Looks like I'm going to do the 6G16. I think you guys are right that the AB763 may make a bit more power but I have few 2 6L6 BF Fenders at present so I'd like something a bit different. If I don't like it in the end I can always build an AB763 board for it.

Thanks for your input.

RH
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2010 1:39 pm    

"If I don't like it in the end I can always build an AB763 board for it"
Then you would have a Vibrolux Reverb chassis, aside from the output transformer. Assuming it's an 8 ohm speaker.
As you are no doubt aware, the difference in power between the two Vibroverb models is due to the power transformers.
Myself, for the last couple of years, I've used a 30 watt tube amp for steel gigs, and it works great..Jerry[/quote]
Rich Hlaves

Post  Posted 26 Jan 2010 1:55 pm    

Just in case I will build it with a 4-8-16 ohm tapped OT. This should come in handy if I change speakes/cabinets or want to run an extention cab.

I think the Pro Reverb (own a '67) would also qualify with the AB763 board and a tube recitier.
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2010 6:31 pm    

Hi Rich
What I mean is that the 6G16 amp used a smaller power transformer than the AB763. That's why it has less power. The 6G16 power transformer was the same size as the brown Vibrolux and white Tremolux the BF Vibrolux Reverb, and one or two other amps. AB763 version used the same power tranformer as the Super Reverb and Pro Reverb. They could deliver more current..Jerry
Rich Hlaves

Post  Posted 27 Jan 2010 9:58 am    

Got it, thanks!