| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Date for this Dobro?
Shaun Swanson

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2010 10:23 am    

This belongs to a friend of mine. It's an all metal body. We can't find any serial numbers on the exterior. Does anyone have an idea when this was made and how much it might be worth?

Thanks

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2010 10:45 am    

wow..i've never seen one like that. pretty cool!

i'd let it go on a date with my dobro but i won't be responsible for the outcome.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2010 2:11 pm    

Dobro model M-35. Made from 1937/8 to 1940. Looks to be in wonderful shape. Serial # should be on the end of the peghaed. What is it?
John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2010 2:13 pm    

That's a model 32 (or 35 if its later) made between 1935 and 1941. It has fiddle-edge construction with folded pressed joints instead of brazing.
Nice guitar. It has a spider bridge like a wood Dobro and steel body like a National.
It probably won't have a serial #, these usually dont.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2010 2:31 pm    

John, although a small number of M-32s had segmented F holes, most had portholes, and were painted gold, either a flat color or the Duco frosted finish. The M-35s were the ones with the shaded sunburst. This guitar appears to have a bound finger board. If so, it's an M-35, as the 32's didn't have that binding. At least that's what I've been led to believe. Years of production appear to be kinda uncertain. The same site says in one section that it was introduced in the '38 catalogue, but may have been made a bit earlier. Then in another section of that site, it states "1935 to 1940" as the production years. The serial number would solve that issue for this particular guitar. Here's my '35 M-32. One can see the obvious similarities. If mine was a '36, instead of a '35, it would have a paddle headstock. Add in the possibility of having some M-32s with the F holes? For a few bucks more, you could get a bound fingerboard, and a sunburst finish. The M-35 was just a slightly upgraded M-32, I guess.

Shaun Swanson

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 5:29 am    

I came across this website myself.

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/dobro.html#m35

According to this description it's a M-35. I will have to look for the serial next time I see the owner.

If it is an M-35, what is it worth? My friend would like to know what to insure it for.

Thanks for the help!

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 11:35 am    

My DOBRO which dates back to around 1934, (wood ) has a neat heart inlaid at the crotch...anyone have a similar model ?
Tom Gray

Decatur, GA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 1:43 pm    

Dobrology is not an exact science. But I can offer a little more information about the history of that guitar, if not about the price.

I've researched pre-war Dobros quite a bit, and I've never seen the M-35 in a catalog earlier than 1939, though that's not to say no such catalog might exist. What's more, I've never seen the M-32 and the M-35 in the same catalog. So I think it's likely that the 35 succeeded the 32 as the price went up (Dobro model numbers corresponded to list price).

In August 1937 Regal in Chicago took over all Dobro production. About that time Regal quit stamping any serial numbers on Dobros. Just as well, since Regal's numbering system was chaotic at best.

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2010 3:12 pm    

I would suggest the owner have the guitar appraised by George Gruhn in Nashville. The resulting appraisal should be accepted by any insurance company.
John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 9:19 am    

As Tom Gray mentioned Dobro info is vague at best. It likely is a model 35 but being Regal made (and paddlehead not slot) it is probably not going to have a serial number.
I have one with the the same tailpiece,sunburst paint job,resonator cover etc. but the cover is plated not painted and a headstock came without the mots veneer.
If you are crazy enough, remove the tuners and look for a patent number stamped on the back. Then research the year the patent was granted and you know it was made after that date. Mine has tuners patented in 1938 so it was made between 38-40 or 41 or whenever the last ones were made.
Ultimately it matters little, its old and its cool and there aren't that many around anymore.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 9:48 am    

John, I've been pouring through a huge amount of ephemera that Michael Lee Allen was nice enough to send me. I found a "treatise" on the history of the Dobro Company. It gives more information. 11 pages, typewritten, both sides, so 22 pages of information. I'll quote it here;

B. Metal bodies.

32: Brass body (a few steel alloy), no fingerboard binding, dot inlay, peghead decal, painted finish. 1937-41
1937: Two tone silver and black crystalline finish, $32.50
c. 1939: Model number changed to 35; rosewood grained finish, $35.
c. 1941: Golden sunburst finish.

D. Metal bodies, 1934-1937.

32; Steel alloy or brass body, no fingerboard binding, slotted peghead, gold finish. $32.50
Solid peghead c. 1936, some with gold-highlighted silver finish.

So,,, this info indicates that the guitar is a '38/'39??? And that it's an M-32 upgraded a bit, and renamed the M-35. Hmmmmm,,,,,
Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 2:56 pm    

DELETED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 27 Feb 2011 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 2:59 pm    

Thanks again Michael Lee! I spent a couple hours today reading, once again, the wonderful stuff you sent me!
Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 3:11 pm    

DELETED

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 27 Feb 2011 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2010 3:24 pm    

MLA, email sent.