| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Do you favor....C6 or E9 tuning?
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2003 12:21 pm    

Just curious as to how many of you favor one tuning or the other? And which one you are most comfortable playing? Both? As for myself I love both, but am perhaps a bit more "at home" on the E9th.
Neil

SHO-BUD SUPER PRO 8x5 NASHVILLE 1000
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2003 12:36 pm    

Hey Neil...I like both, too, but I suppose I'm more proficient on the E9th. I've been "woodshedding" a lot on the Cth. Might even be able to play it someday...

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10, Rack w/Evans, Tubefex 2, 1501-4 BW's
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2003 2:20 pm    

Neil

I favour E9th, but I think that's mainly because, when I was first drawn to PSG in the '70s, E9th was principally what was heard on the 'big' records of the 'country-rock' era.

The first top-class playing that I heard (when I lived in the UK) was Buddy Emmons on a Ray Charles album - we all know that he's at home on both necks(!!!), yet he mainly played E9 on that 'date'.

Having said that, I've been working hard these last two years to redress the balance - if I'm not out playing, then all my practise-time is spent on C6th....

------------------
Roger Rettig
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2003 5:23 pm    

I should add that my perspective on this is different to most people's - we in Britain simply didn't get to hear the full range music featuring steel guitar like you did here. Before long, though, somebody played me 'My Funny Valentine' by Jernigan and I started wondering!

I have a feeling this 'thread' is in the wrong place....

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 22 January 2003 at 05:25 PM.]

Bill Llewellyn

San Jose, CA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2003 6:53 pm    

I gravitated toward E9 from the beginning, partly because it's what's used most in (popular) country music and partly because I find it easier to understand and work with.

I started out in music on the piano (long before PSG). Another steeler once told me that it is easier for keyboardists to pick up on E9. It does seem to be the case with me. I love the sound of C6 (B6 on my universal) but when I try it, it usually trips me up enough that I go back to E9 to where things seem to work better for me. Plus I'm able to get a fair amount of C6-sounding chords on the E9.

I do have a Jeff Newman video for the B6 tuning on my U12. Someday.....
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2003 10:50 pm    

Neil, having been a Chalker fan for over 40 years, my choice is the C6th but the E9th is not far behind, Gary.
Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 2:19 am    

The E9 is my favourite. I find it very hard to think C6 and feel at home there. I´ve learned some C6 stuff by heart, but I´m unable to improvise on C6. Any hints on how to improvise on C6? I bet we are many C6 illiterates.
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 4:15 am    

I'm sorry I put this thread in Events! It was an honest mistake! I must have pushed the wrong pedal or picked the wrong string! Thanks for your input, so far E9 seems to have the edge?
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 4:51 am    

I play a sort of E9/B6 Universal and I prefer the E9th side but when I have to play a swing or rock type thing I always lower those E's automatically and use the B6 side as it seems to work so much better for the single note riffs without having to use the pedals. On my lap steel I prefer the 6th tunings.....JH

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 7:59 am    

I am at home on either. But this is probably because I played a triple neck Fender before migrating to the PSG. And C6 was the neck I used the most, since I am and ardent fan of JB; who invented C6 for the lap steel.

So when they added pedals to C6 (some to get what JB was doing with slants), it was as natural as falling off a log.

Also, since the other two necks were tuned to A6th and E13th respectively, the E9th tuning was instantly "at home".

But the finality to this is my U-12 is perfect for me. I am never aware "what" tuning I am playing in; at any given moment. And I do NOT think tuning. I think musical voicings and the pedals/knee levers that are required to get those voicings just make it wonderful for me.

I can see how someone who started on a PSG; because of hearing E9th sounds; would find the C6 neck or the B6 part of the U-12 cumbersome; and even frustrating. Mainly because there is NO direct A and B pedal sound on C6. It was NOT designed for this.

UNLESS, you play C6 as I do. And that is to emulate what Jerry Byrd does. In this case the A and B pedals are as necessary on my B6 tuning as they are on the E9th side of the tuning. This is because that is how JB plays. He does NOT do the "western swing" style of playing which rarely slants the bar. He slants the bar instead. So, strings 5 and 6 using A and B, becomes an absolute must playing this way.

As a result, I dearly love this U-12. Again, I have not thought about "tunings" since I got it. I use ALL the C6 pedals (and knee levers) strictly to get JB stuff; because I don't care for western swing all that much; and was never very good at it anyway. I hear the "western swing" voicings, but I have never been able to find most of them, like BE and CC, Herb Steiner et al do so effortlessly. Also, they are changing grips often while playing C6 and this has ALWAYS been a problem for me. Maybe due to the fact I have small hands, not sure.

"whatever floats yer....."

God bless you no matter what you play,

carl
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 10:22 am    

I tend to gravitate to the C6th. I started in the mid 1950s on a lap steel with (eventually) a C6th tuning, and just always think in those terms. It is not a conscious decision for me, and I play a little E9th, but I find myself always going back to C6th.
When I recorded my CD (available from the Forum), all the songs were done on the C6th neck. I just feel more comfortable there.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Southwestern Steel Guitar Association

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 10:30 am    

To paraphrase Carl's eloquent comments, it seems that the question "do you favor E9 or C6" is not a complete question... the question should be "what style of music do you prefer to play"? The answer to that will determine the appropriate tuning to play...E9 or C6.

I do not consciously think in reference to E9 or C6. The music to be played triggers an automatic response to the appropriate tuning without consideration of preference. www.genejones.com
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 2:04 pm    

Room 101; stuck in a room with an avid C6 player. I can think of nothing worse.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2003 4:20 pm    

Moved to 'Steel Players' section.