| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Major props to Dicky Overby !!
GaryHoetker

Bakersfield, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2010 12:43 pm    

Seeing him and hearing him play on YouTube, made me realize how truly great he is and how effortlessly he makes it look. A master!! Thanks Dicky for keeping traditional country alive.
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2010 2:16 pm    

He is definitely one of the all time greats. I feel lucky to live in Texas where I can go see him play pretty often.
Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2010 4:04 pm     Mr. Overbey

I can't get enough of him. Love that tone. You guys in TX have a national treasure in your state. Anyone know what kind of a guitar is he playing on the Amber Digby recordings? From those grainy YouTube videos, it looks like a SD10 Sho-Bud, maybe? Or maybe some kind of extended E13th single neck guitar. I guess it don't matter that much as he probably can play a cigar box and make it sound good.

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2010 4:04 pm    

It was obvious the year Dickey played at the ISGC in St. Louis that "he stole the show". I've never seen anyone hold the attention of the crowd as he did that day. Justin is right about him being one of the greats.
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2010 5:03 pm    

I have always seen him play a Rosewood P/P or Pro II. That doesn't mean that is all he has played.
Roy Davis

Denton, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2010 5:35 pm    

Yep, one of the all time greats he is.For some lucky person Randy has Dicky's 1975 Sho-Bud Pro 2 Custom for sale that was played on several recordings and has been refurbished by Ricky Davis. Ya can'nt beat that! Sweet! Just look under "For Sale: Instruments" on Jan.8 He mostly plays a single LDG right now.
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2010 10:09 pm    

You are right, Roy! I forgot about the LDG. I know he is having some hip problems so maybe he is trying to lighten his load. I am not at all knocking the LDG of course.

I overheard someone say one time that he "didn't swing" on the 6th neck, so I played him Jake Hooker's live album where he burns up Nightlife. I encourage all of you to check it out.
The volume I has the super talented Gary Carpender and the Vol II has one MR. Dickey Overbey. They are both must have CD's
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 5:13 am    

The LDG he plays is my old '73 round front that I sold to Randy. I think Ricky sorta tweaked it up and it sure sounds good. After agonizing over selling that guitar, I'm sure glad it ended up where it is.
Larry Self

Spring City, Tn. Bledsoe * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 10:12 am    

Hello Justin,I'm going to ask a large favor of you.Dicky is a friend of mine, and I dont get to see him often.the next time you see him,PLEASE, shake his hand, and tell him hello for me. I thank you in advance. would love to come to Texas to see him. Larry Self
Randy Lindley

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 11:06 am    

correct bill....that's your old '73 LDG that dicky plays now...that guitar, along with a fender vibrosonic, is what he's used on amber's last two recordings, "passion, pride and what might have been" and her latest, "another way to live"....he is in LOVE with that guitar...and as roy can testify, it sounds just as amazing LIVE....
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 11:55 am    

Never shoulda let that one go... Too bad Dicky can't play with any emotion huh?

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 12:15 pm    

I make a face like that too, from time to time. But in my case, it's 'cuz I'm a fret off from where I'm supposed to be. : )

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 2:05 pm    

I was fortunate enough to be at the Jake Hooker after midnight concert at ISGC a few years ago........Jake pounding out shuffles, one after another with the great Dicky on steel, and the equally great Bobby Flores on fiddle...and to put the icing on the cake......Bobby, Justin, and Amber doing vocals. I am still reeling. It truly does NOT get any better than that. I would pay double (or triple) the fee to hear it all again. Why don't I live in Texas?
Roy Davis

Denton, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 2:27 pm    

Bill, if it's ok with you I'm gonna kidnapp a copy of that pic of Dicky. I love it!
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 2:57 pm    

Ben Rubright wrote:
I was fortunate enough to be at the Jake Hooker after midnight concert at ISGC a few years ago........Jake pounding out shuffles, one after another with the great Dicky on steel, and the equally great Bobby Flores on fiddle...and to put the icing on the cake......Bobby, Justin, and Amber doing vocals. I am still reeling. It truly does NOT get any better than that. I would pay double (or triple) the fee to hear it all again. Why don't I live in Texas?

Ben,

I missed that. Please let me know if something like that is happening again. I'll travel about anywhere to hear that. Smile
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 3:05 pm    

Larry Self wrote:
Hello Justin,I'm going to ask a large favor of you.Dicky is a friend of mine, and I dont get to see him often.the next time you see him,PLEASE, shake his hand, and tell him hello for me. I thank you in advance. would love to come to Texas to see him. Larry Self

I will do it Larry!
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2010 3:53 pm    

Dicky rules Willie's Place. He's got notes in his guitar that mine don't know...

Quote:
Dicky on steel, and the equally great Bobby Flores on fiddle...and to put the icing on the cake......Bobby, Justin, and Amber doing vocals.

The really could be heaven on earth.