| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTT: Trade my Carter Starter for good lap steel, reso, etc.
James Maxwell

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 11:48 pm    

Hi I want to test the waters and see what kind of interest people have and what kind of stuff people have to trade. Im looking to trade a Carter Starter with a nice case and Ernie Ball volume pedal. Im looking for a nice lap steel, or squareneck dobro, possibly a roundneck, or a combination of items. I am open to different ideas. Please PM me with your offers if you are interested, to find out more detailed info or for hi-res pics.

This Carter Starter is an S10 E9 steel with 3 pedals and 4 knee levers, with a new set of strings on it. It is used, in good condition and plays well, and is a great student and learning guitar. Also included is an almost new case which I purchased separately, an Ernie Ball volume pedal, some guitar cables, and the accessories which were included with it (gig bag, tuning key, quick start dvd...)

B A Young

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2010 5:29 am     $$$$

WOULD YOU SELL IT OUTRIGHT ? IF SO HOW MUCH ?
James Maxwell

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2010 2:01 pm    

Thanks for your interest, i will probably be willing to sell it but want to see a few trade offers first
B A Young

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2010 2:47 pm     Just Let Me Know

THANKS
Harold Fulk

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2010 5:17 pm     trade

i will trade my 57 supro jet airliner lap steel
for your carter starter.
look on the steel forum on 1rst page instruments for sale.
Harold
James Maxwell

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2010 6:26 pm    

Thanks for all your offers, I am considering them and am open for some more. Any squarenecks out there?
James Maxwell

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2010 8:59 pm    

TTT
B A Young

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2010 9:55 am     carter

i was just wondering what you meant by GOOD condition ?
James Maxwell

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2010 11:57 am    

In answer to the question of what I mean that this used guitar is in "good" condition.......

This guitar is not new or in mint condition and has slight wear to it. I will now outline everything about this guitar that I am aware of so that the recipient knows exactly what they are getting:

1. Changer Bridge: One side of the changer bridge is slightly darker, and the screw is darker. I don't know if the previous owner replaced the screw or what. This may be able to be cleaned. This doesn't not effect the play whatsoever, and is not really obvious.

2. Levers: Two of the light weight brushed aluminum levers have scratches on them because they brush up against other screws in the undercarriage. As far as I can tell this is the way it was designed, and I imagine it happens to other Carter Starters. This does not affect play and is not visible to an audience. They might be able to be cleaned or polished or something if it bothers you.

3. Changer Endplate: There is a vertical scratch on the changer endplate approx 1.5 inches long and 1 mm wide, it is not deep at all. I dont know how this happened. The endplate is black and this scratch could easily be covered with one swipe of paint.

4. Pickup: There is a slight hum when playing at full volume. This guitar has its original pickup, and it may just be the nature of these pickups. I am not an electrician or sound engineer , so i can't say for sure. I think its a single coil (im clueless), and my other guitar has a BL705 humbuckber on it, so maybe I can hear the hum more because of that.

5. Pedal Noise: When you depress the pedals you can hear the rods moving in the undercarriage. I went to a guitar shop and tested other Carter Starters, and it is pretty much the same amount of pedal noise.

6. Pull rod: One of the pull rods broke at one point and it was welded back together. It is strong and works perfectly, this does not effect playing whatsoever.

7. Lever Adjustment: This is actually an improvement. They ship it with a round headed screw to adjust the LKL action, but because its round headed it would slip when it hit. I, like many other Carter Starter owners put a flat headed screw on, and now the LKL hits the note correctly!

I think that's everything.
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2010 12:58 pm    

Hi;
i have a mint condition Regal Square Neck Dobro with a very nice case. If you are interested I will shoot you some pics. I will need your email address also. Thank you .

Willis E. Vanderberg
B A Young

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2010 1:00 pm    

ok so if it humms on full volume then what happenss if u turn it down to say 3/4th volume and turn up yur amp ... does the humm go away ... does it stay in tune?... cause i will have enough frustration trying to learn and the last thing i need is a guitar that wont stay in tune ( i have been playing all my life my whole family does as a matter of fact and the old saying was " EITHER TUNE IT OR PUT IT UP " lol so over the years i developed a pretty good ear for pitch and i cant stand to hear somebody bangin on something thats out of tune even if its slightly )and let me say that i appreciate your honesty thats the way i am and it seems rare to find others that will just tell you the truth you are right for that ... but i am interested...and not so worried bout cosmetics, just tone: tune and sound... THANKS BA
B A Young

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2010 2:28 pm    

GO TO MUSICIANS FRIEND AND TYPE IN A SEARCH FOR SQUARE NECK DOBRO AND CHECK OUT THAT 1 ... BRAND NEW " DOBRO " BRAND ... IF YOU LIKE IT LET ME KNOW
Randy Patton

Horton, Alabama
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2010 4:44 pm     Pics

James email with pics sent.

Randy

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2010 6:54 pm    

I have a friend here that took his carter starter and turned it into a lap steel just think you could have a 10 string instead of a 6,or8. then if you decided thats what you really wanted down the road sale it or trade it.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2010 7:55 pm    

Trade pending. Thanks to all for the interest.
James