| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guidance re. shopping for a National
Peter Goeden

Aspen Hill, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 10:59 am    

I'm a neophyte when it comes to National resonator guitars. What are the the variables that I should keep in mind when chosing between one National model/year and another? Did National make wood bodies? Did they have both round and square necks? Are there other resonator guitars with the same 'gritty' sound? Are they still being manufactured by someone? Thankyou!
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 1:21 pm    

Your questions may be answered here, here, and here in more detail, but as a quick response:

1) Yes, National made both wood and metal body models.
2) Yes, National made both round and square neck models.
3) Depending on what you mean by "gritty" sound, there are many manufacturers who make biscuit-cone guitars (vs. the Dobro®-style spider-cone guitars).
4) They are being made by National Reso-Phonic Guitars in San Luis Obispo, CA. Get their catalog for a good overview of the various models they sell.
John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 4:10 pm    

If you haven't got years of experience with Nationals there is a lot to learn the hard way. It might be right to think about a new (or used) National Resophonic version. They are every bit professional grade, play in tune, are built by people who genuinely love old Nationals and want to do the name proud. They make many styles, tricone, single cone spider cone, metal, wood, etc., and they sound better than any resonator made in the last 70 years.
The old National market has a lot of worn-out, abused, mis-represented, poorly repaired and seriously in need of restoration guitars, just waiting to hook into somebody who is unprepared.
Of course there are real gems, wonderful pieces out there too, but do you want to play guitar or gamble?
I am not saying this to turn you off to choosing an old National (hell I can't help myself, I'm hooked),
I just want you to go in with eyes open.
If you become addicted to cone, you can buy an old one someday after you know how to drive one.