| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  oahu jumbo
Bernard Beck

Paris France
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2002 6:24 am    

Another message from Paris.
Does anyone knows anything about that instrument : http://www.rfcharle.com/HTML/PhotosInstruments/OahuHawai.html
It is gorgeous and sounds incredible.
Mister Charle told me it must date back from the 30's because Oahu instruments (Cleveland Ohio) stopped making acoustic instruments after the firm was bought by National.
So any info about the Oahu company and the acoustic instruments they made, especially the jumbo model, will be welcome.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2002 9:10 am    

That looks very similar to the Oahu Style 68K De Luxe Jumbo Guitar that I picked up on eBay last year. From what I've been able to find out, there were various grades of Oahu instruments ranging from beginner to teacher. This instrument appears to be one of the high end instruments normally used by the teachers. Pete Grant has one as well.

They're great instruments with excellent tone, but they don't have the volume necessary to keep up with other instruments. They make excellent solo instruments in my opinion.

I have almost no information on specific Oahu models. I'm even guessing that this is the model I own.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2002 9:31 am    

Bernard: The guitar is made by Kay, as Oahus of the period were. I have a very similar instrument, but bearing the Hagar label. It
has the same body and neck and binding as the Oahu, but a few cosmetic differences: a darker finish, with a gorgeously cheesy woodgrain effect created by "combing" the freshly sprayed lacquer into a spruce grain on the top and a tiger-stripe maple pattern on the back; no gold stencilling on the top; a slightly different peghead shape, gold stencilled with a fairly ornate Grecian urn design. It appears to be all maple, and sounds wonderful, with a big, booming tone and the sort of attack you'd expect from a solid maple instrument. The Oahu in the photos seems to have a Hawaiian conversion nut, as all the Kay-made Hawaiians of the period I've seen have. If you buy this guitar (if the price is right, I highly recommend you do!), by all means have a solid raised nut built (8-9 mm. is the optimal height). It will considerably improve the sound and playability.
I don't know precisely when these instruments were built, but judging from the tuners and a few other clues, I'd guess the early 1930's.
That was also the estimate of Elderly Instruments, from whom I bought this guitar at a bargain basement price a few years ago.
By the way, do you know what sort of case the Oahu comes with? The Hagar has a very high quality hardshell, a nice piece of craftsmanship in its own right.
There are some real hidden treasures with the Kay label out there. My musical partner picked up a 1950's Kay Spanish guitar last summer that can take on all comers. It's a HUGE jumbo - it looks like a J-200 with a thyroid condition - and is absolutely one of the sweetest sounding acoustics I've ever heard. If anyone knows anything about this model, I'd be interested to hear.
John Reali

Arlington, VA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2002 9:08 pm    

I have a 1935 Oahu catolog, and the guitar in question is listed as an Oahu Jumbo Guitar, style 71K-square neck-Hawaiian style. It originally sold for $98.00.
Bernard Beck

Paris France
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2002 12:08 pm    

Thanks to you all for the infos.
John, can you tell more about whats in your 1935 catalog, as far as wood used for the guitar for example.
Any other info will be welcome.
Keep on picking.
Bernard
John Reali

Arlington, VA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2002 7:34 pm    

Bernard;
The catolog does not specify what type of wood the Jumbo Guitar is made of. It does, however, say that the Deluxe Jumbo Guitar is made of "the finest African Rosewood", so perhaps the Jumbo is made from something similar. No further details about the guitars construction are provided.
Bernard Beck

Paris France
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2002 6:20 am    

Well, I did find a site with Oahu's guitars. http://www.toad.net/~harpe/oahu.htm
Lots of nice instruments !
Jeff Jackson

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2009 4:58 pm    

Brad Bechtel wrote:
That looks very similar to the Oahu Style 68K De Luxe Jumbo Guitar that I picked up on eBay last year. From what I've been able to find out, there were various grades of Oahu instruments ranging from beginner to teacher. This instrument appears to be one of the high end instruments normally used by the teachers. Pete Grant has one as well.

They're great instruments with excellent tone, but they don't have the volume necessary to keep up with other instruments. They make excellent solo instruments in my opinion.

I have almost no information on specific Oahu models. I'm even guessing that this is the model I own.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

I have a 1935 Oahu 69K Deluxe jumbo and it sounds great round neck not square..