| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Proper Pot for Emmons' Volume Pedal?
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 11:39 pm    

I received an inquiry that I don't know the answer to. It was from Peter Leavenworth, of Madbury, New Hampshire. I've never seen the volume pedal he refers to, so I don't know if a Dunlop pot, with its 1" shaft, will work for him. I agreed to post his message. Here is his quandry:

"I believe I have a '60's or '70's Emmons double neck, but am not sure. My problem is, this guitar came with its own Emmons volume pedal. I need to replace the pot in it. I've done this many times before, and had no problem obtaining a pot that fit. But now, none of my usual tech folks have a pot with a shaft to match the one in the pedal. That pot is about 1 1/2" long. That length makes it possible for the shaft to rest on a support bar located across from the mounting bar that the pot is attached to. I fear that the pot needs to be anchored to help preserve the action as well as support the end of the pot's shaft. Is this necessary? I can't find a pot with a shaft long enough to reach that support? Will a Dunlop pot work in this pedal without the support on it's shaft?

"Additionally, can anyone tell me when the guitar was made? It’s serial number is 2063. ...Peter Levenworth

Please post your replies here. He will see them. ...Tom
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2009 3:24 am    

With that S/N it would appear to be a later 70's model Steel. I had a 71 D-10 and it was S/N 1464D.

I've replaced the pots in a lot of Emmons VP's in the early 70's as I was the Amp Tech for Little Roy Wiggin's music store in Nashville, who was the Emmons dealer for Nashville at the time. They all used the standard AB 500K pot, but the shaft was a little longer than what Goodrich uses. That was the only difference.

I've had both the type witht the "drop in" pin to hold it to the pedal bar and the later type with the "fixed pin" and they both used the same AB500K pot and shaft length.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2009 1:03 pm    

My guess is that the pot is a replacement. When a previous owner installed it, instead of cutting the shaft off, he drilled a hole in the support structure across to accomodate the shaft. This makes it appear that the shaft is supported at that end.

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 6:09 am    

I have a shorter shaft CTS pot in my old Emmons pedal and it works (and installed) fine. I don't think Peter will have a problem with the Dunlop pot.
If the Emmons steel has no "D" after the number (as he says) then you're talking mid 60's.
Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2009 11:42 am    

Tom
I think the S/N 2063 was born in 1975.

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabs.com
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2009 4:50 pm    

I've never seen nor heard of any volume pedal that had any support of any kind on the end of the shaft! All that would do is to put extra drag on the operation of the pedal! The only problem I've ever come across with various design volume pedals is that the shaft is too short to attach the collar in the proper location so as to line up the string properly. My Derby pedal will not accept an A~B 500K Linear Pot, because; the pot-shaft is too short to mount the collar in line with the operating-cord! I will need a special collar to use these pots. The shaft is only about 5/8” in length.