| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Well, its happened at the CMA's
R.C. Vick

Moss Point, Ms., USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 8:05 pm    

Tonight, the changing of the guard has occurred in Country Music. Taylor Swift is the new CMA female vocalist and entertainer of the year. Even with the obvious changes over the years away from traditional country music, its unfathonable in my view that the likes of Brad Paisley or even Chesney has been overtaken by a teen idol in the country world. Yes, she is a talented and bright light in the songwriting world and put in the limelight all the time, but she aint there in my opinion and probably wont be.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 8:21 pm    

It wouldn't be so bad if she could sing, But hell what do I know from nothing. People are crazy was awesome as was the tribute to BM. True Country.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 8:22 pm    

I'm happy for her. It's not her fault that pop/rock has taken over country music. Our (speaking for real country fans) dislike of the music has nothing to do with the individual performers and their talent. Let's be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water. This is a wonderful day for the winners, and we certainly don't want to downplay that for them. I'd trade places with either one of them..........then when I had the money and my career was washed out, I'd go back to the music I love........ like Ricky Skaggs did.

Congratulations to all the winners. I'm sure they've worked as hard for it, and it means as much to them as it did to our heros of the past years.

Smile
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 8:49 pm    

Gosh!

We still moanin' & groanin'
over this?

Pay it no mind.

Who cares?

All the music we all love will never, ever, disappear.

It is here. FOREVER.

I fear not.

Cool
Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 8:54 pm    

It's just about impossible to dislike Taylor. She is genuinely genuine, not artifically genuine. The stars are aligned for her right now. She connects with teenaged girls, and that is one powerful market. She writes her own stuff, and, granted, she can't sing it very well. But she'll take vocal lessons. She got her band up when she won Entertainer Of The Year. I rarely watch this, but I don't remember anyone else ever doing that. I was happy for her and I don't know any of her songs.

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 9:21 pm    

I thought Carrie Underwood was great thrusting that silver pelvis at us. Did she sing?

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2009 9:31 pm    

From an Oldtimer point of view, I started watching the "Countrty Noise Awards" but couldn't take it !
I salute Brooks and Dunn for getting the HE__ out before the musical cancer destroys them.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 3:08 am    

I didn't watch the "faux country" show last night. Our steel guitar club had their monthly jam last night. There was some real country music played there.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 4:55 am    

Well RC is right. We use to have country then we had rock country, now it's turning into bubble gum Country. Personally I call it heavey metal country.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 5:10 am    

Shucks you mean I missed the Country Mucous Awards..Congratulations to Taylor Smith even if I never heard her/him sing before..I'm assuming it is a female were talking about?.The only other Taylor I can remember is Taylormade... Rolling Eyes
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 7:08 am    

Let Taylor have her day - it's not going to matter in the grand scheme of things anyway. At least they bashed Thug West around.
Carrie Underwood should go back to letting her mother dress her, and Billy T., I thought Brooks and Dung were part of the cancer .... Shocked
Ga McDonnell

N GA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 7:24 am    

And who is it that does the makeup for the women performers? Probably someone who previously worked for either Tammy Faye or Bozo the clown.

Taylor stood out by looking fresh and natural.
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 11:18 am     Taylor Swift makes me sick to my stomach

Anybody that thinks she has talent is an idiot. Her songs suck and she can't sing. Plus many of you might think me wrong but to me she is ugly as well.
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 11:22 am    

Ron Sodos wrote:
Anybody that thinks she has talent is an idiot. Her songs suck and she can't sing.

Anybody that would make comments like that is an idiot. Just my opinion, of course.
Jim Cinney

Tehachapi California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 12:41 pm    

Well this Idiot just could not take this anymore!
while I did not watch the award show,and I do not get up in the morning and turn on any of her music,I cannot fault the performer.I play several instruments and Pedal Steel is only 1 of them,I also teach guitar and one of my students is a 14 year old girl that I was having a hard time learning as she was not real interested in music theory.however she showed an interest in Taylor Swift's music,and has since progressed dramaticly.I may not care for Taylor's music but it has brought many new and young listeners to have an interest in music.Musical taste will change over the years and when I think of the music I used to listen to as a kid it turns my stomach,but we evolve. I know a teenage kid can do alot worse than get involved with music. we must be patient with our children and not scoff at them, as what they like is not what we like. pardon the sensless rant but if you dont like the music then dont listen.
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 3:03 pm     Another kid trying to emulateTaylor Swift. OMG

If another kid tries to emulate Taylor Swift to me that is a total negative. I understand as a teacher you are trying to inspire. However in my opinion that is a bad influence. You should have her listen to Amber Digby or Dottie Jack. O well. I never turn on the awards and never turn on regular radio. I only listen to XM or Sirius. If I forget my XM and try to listen to regular radio if Sugarland or Taylor Swift comes on I can't even believe it is real. it is so awful it can make me shake my head and turn it off. I apologize for saying the word idiot that was uncalled for. But still the music to me is so bad i can't even believe it was recorded and put on the radio. It should have wound up on the cutting room floor.

Last edited by Ron Sodos on 12 Nov 2009 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 3:11 pm    

It seems like some who have posted saying they don't like todays country music and don't listen to it ... know a lot about it.
Chuck Thompson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2009 11:11 pm    

what ever happened to singers that could sing like Kristofferson and Jerry Jeff - songs like 'my bucket's got a hole in it" and demure and modest dress like Dolly? Evil Twisted
Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 12:01 am    

Quote:
what ever happened to singers that could sing like Kristofferson

Are you serious Chuck?... Shocked

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_yXI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 4:28 am    

Ron... I don't know Dottie Jack but you hit the nail squarely on the head with Amber Digby. Although I did not watch the show, I'm sure Amber could out-sing anything that was on it.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 7:48 am    

Quote:
My God, listen to that- that's not even music! It's just a bunch of noise! And their hair... what are they thinking? Just turn that off and we'll play a record...

Word for word- it's 1964 and I'm watching Ed Sullivan with my Aunts and Uncles.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 8:00 am    

I don't know why some of you get upset about this stuff. Put your money where your mouth is and support the artists on small labels who are doing it for themselves. The music industry is a world apart from what the real music world is all about. They have product to mass market and this awards show is the big commercial. It's like a Miss America pageant for music.

The Internet is your friend--use it wisely to find the music you like. It's out there, believe me.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 8:28 am    

I don't know why I even read these threads.

Thanks Mike and Mark for your insights.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 9:58 am    

I think 'the guard' in country music changed the day Roy Acuff died. Spilt milk, done deal, I gotta move on. No problem - as others have said, there's tons of great musicians in a lot of styles - country, blues, rock and roll, bluegrass, jazz, you name it - out there hustling to make a go of it. If you want to see that kind of music survive into the future, support them and don't waste energy complaining - it's like laying down in front of a steamroller. Just MHO.

Award shows as Miss America pageants for music? 1964 Ed Sullivan all over again? Absolutely, nothing new here. This cycle has been repeating since there was such a thing as popular music, and will continue to get more and more glitzy and surreal unless the economy completely tanks, which is possible. That's the only way this will stop, there's some central feature of social/human/biological nature in the face of massive excess resources that causes this. My opinion, naturally.
Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 1:15 pm    

I wonder if some of the posters who dis today's country music also understands Paul Franklin (and Brent Mason) play on about 90% of the charted music who's helping shape the sound of today's country music...