| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many Twelve String PSG Players Out There?
Barry Hyman

upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 6:48 pm    

I am assuming that 13 string and 14 string pedal steels are as scarce as honest politicians. And pedal steels with fewer than 10 strings are novelty items as well, I believe. But I would be interested to know what percentage of steel players play S-12 (or U-12 or SD-12 or D-12) as opposed to 10 strings.

I play S-12 and love those low chords, and also the blues/rock boogie-woogie guitar-style licks you can get on the five thickest strings. (My lowest is E, followed by G#, B, D, and then the usual. I really like that 9th string D that seems to irritate some people.) Something about the tone and resonance of thick strings...

Not important -- just curious...
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 7:02 pm    

Not true Barry. I have seen pictures of 13 and 14 string guitars so we know they do exist . I keep going back to a 12 string and have 1 single 12 , 1 SD- 12 , 1 D-12 and 1 that I just put together with a 12 string E 9th and a 10 string C 6th. Can't play any of them worth a flip , but I have fun with them.

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 7:25 pm    

I play an U12 Williams and have played mostly 12 stringers since I started in the 70's. My first one was a Sierra 14 stringer but I could never hear the two low strings even with a Session 500 so I switched to 12 and have never looked back. My 14 stringer was the only one I ever saw.

I see you're from upstate NY. Where? I used to live in Cortland NY, between Binghamton and Syracuse. Larry
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 8:13 pm     9 months

I switched to an EX-E9 SD-12 Mullen G2 about 8 months ago. I don't foresee me returning to 10 strings. I will shortly have the first D12 Mullen G2. EX-E9 on the bottom, EX-C6 on the top..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 8:30 pm    

I will start making attempts on an older MSA U12 one of these days, once I've got it tuned up Wink

I too like those low chords, so I have the same low E and G# as you on my "Twin Tuned" S10 ("Twin Tuned" sounds better than "Octave Tuned Smile ). Means I don't have the D and F# strings, but I can pedal those notes from below or above if I really need them.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 9:29 pm    

That's where I live and operate - down among them low notes.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 10:32 pm    

I play a Mullen U-12.If I'd had any idea how much I'd like 12 string,I'd have gotten one years ago.
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2009 11:16 pm    

I play a D-12 Dekley, but only use 11 strings on C6. It's hard to imagine going back to a D-10 now, even though there are so many great sounding ones out there. Ext. E9 makes so much sense to me now, and having both the G and D on top of my C6 neck seems only natural. I tried putting other notes on the very top of my C6, but having the D on the outside string is another brilliant standard we can thank BE for.

The only thing is, with 12 strings I feel that you also need more pedals to really utilize them to the fullest.
Not for minimalists.
Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 12:23 am    

I have a foot in both camps, playing a Carter D10 and a recently-acquired Fessenden D12. Due to weight issues the Fessy tends to be set up at home a lot and the Carter travels to gigs, rehearsals etc. Both have great tone!

The Fessy is extended E9th and extended C6th. Love playing the extended C6th neck in the old non-pedal style.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 2:44 am    

I've just acquired a Mullen 12-string (extended E9), but I've only had it a week, so I have no idea yet whether or not it's going to 'take'.

The jury's most definitely out for now, and it'll be a long while before I take the 12-string out on a gig in preference to one of my D-10s.

I've already come to the conclusion, though, that my 'perfect world' would have a D-10/12 in it - the the '12' being E9!
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 2:52 am    

I have a ShoBud D12, with extended E9 and 11 strings on C6 neck. I love the full chordal variation that the extended E9 gives. It is just that after nearly 40 years of playing 10 strings I still don't have the courage to take the D12 out on stage yet, but I will sometime.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 4:03 am    

been on S-12 from day one...39 years now, still learning!!
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 4:08 am    

Single 12 Emmons p/p, extended E9. I don't use the low strings all the time, but it's nice to have them there when needed!
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 4:41 am    

After several D-10 years I bought an ext E9 12 string and tried to play some gigs on the D10, some on the 12.
Didn`t work for me. OK at home but on the job when muscle memory takes over, I fumbled my grips all the time. On the D10 too, if I`d been playing only the 12 for a long time. Sold the 12...
About four years ago I decided to go full time U12, eventually sold the 10 stringers and I don`t think I`ll go back. I`ve tried to sit in on a 10 string and felt lost.
So, a word of warning if you are going to play both the 12 and 10, both of them may suffer. At least if your mind works the way mine does... Smile

Last edited by Olli Haavisto on 15 Nov 2009 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Ulric Utsi-Åhlin

Sweden
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 6:48 am    

S-12,SD-10 & S-8 ; they all get played.McUtsi
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 7:08 am    

I've been playing 12-stringers since the early 1980's.

Lee, from South Texas
Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 7:40 am    

Guilty as charged, for possessing a S12U guitar.

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.
Nigel Mullen

Cassilis, New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 7:42 am    

I play an Emmons single 12 extended E9. Love the sound of the guitar and there's so many great sounds on those bottom strings. I won't ever go back to 10 strings.
Sam Marshall

Chandler, AZ USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 8:07 am    

U-12 Mullen here. The bottom strings are invaluable on gigs when fighting for spectrum with guitars. They cover valuable territory during lead guitar solos in order to maintain some continuity of the backup if the rhythm guitar is missing.
Michael Dulin

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 8:16 am     how many 12 string players out there

Zumsteel S12 ExtE9. Nothin' like it great guitar great sound. Knock the guitar players socks off when you play 'Luther' and other licks that they think is their territory alone. Good luck, just close your eyes and go for it! MD
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 9:10 am    

I play Carter and Thomas U-12s
I like it..

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 9:20 am     Yes

I have been playing

12 Universal [E9th/B6th] off & on since 1978, I think. First one was an MSA "The Universal" with 8&5, the second a Kline S12U, 8&6, then and EMCI S12U, 8&5, then a Mullen S12U, 8&5, then a Sierra S12U, 8&5, then another Kline S12U, 8&5, then a Diller S12U, 8&5 [this one had a great E's to Eb lever lock on it, best I have ever seen], then, another MSA Classic S12, 7&5, then another MSA SD-12, 7&5. I still have both the MSA's the SD, I converted to Universal its an '74, the other one I have is single width, a '72 model. Both of the Classics have the Tom Bradshaw type parts to triple raise a couple of strings, the still play like new ones!!
I guess you could call me an S-12 player!! Although I had some D-10s & S-10s in there also, maybe you could better relate to me as being a 'Steel Nut Case'!!

Ernie Whoa!
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 9:32 am    

Kline U-12, since the Eighties.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 9:37 am    

D-12s for me since the early 70s. I get so screwed up trying to find my string position on 10 strings that I rarely set in on 10 string guitars any more.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2009 9:48 am    

I got my first 12 string at the end of '77 which was a ShoBud with 3 & 4. I kept adding pedals & levers until I had it up to 8 FP & 7 KL. When I sold it in the early nineties it was down to 5 KL & 4 FP. My current steel (BMI) S-12 has 8 floor pedals & 5 knee levers.

I played a standard U-12 for a long time until I dropped the low B about 5 years or so ago and added the 9th string back in except I tune it to C# instead of D. My second string is also a C#. I still have most of the B6th changes as they work well with this setup also. My setup is basically an extended E9 with the 2nd and 9th strings tuned to C#... Here's a shot of my steel. (The white Strat belongs to Forumite Mike Taylor).....JH in Va.