| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ntsga "superjam xi" Lineup
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2002 11:59 pm    

The NTSGA "SuperJam XI" will take place Oct. 1st,at a new location. It will be at the Amer. Legion Post # 88,2864 Elm Hill Pike,in Donelson,Tn.(at the intersection of Elm Hill Pike & Donelson Pike,5 minutes from I-40,& the N'Ville airport.) (use www.mapquest.com for specific directions from your point to that point. click on & follow instructions.)
Here's the lineup:

1st set:
Rob Parker*
Jack Heern*
Dan Dowd*

2nd set:
Joan Cox
Larry Dolan
Malcolm Kirby*

3rd set:
Stu Basore
David Spires
Mike "Cookie" Jones*

* = first time "jammers"
Looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun,& some exciting NEW sounds.

"Crank-up" time: 7:00 pm
Admission: $5.00 per person.

Be sure to listen to Eddie Stubbs' show on WSM-AM 650,the night before,(9/30) for an in-depth interview with Stu,David,& "Cookie".
It's sure to be VERY informative,as,has been,the past ones. See y'all there.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2002 4:35 am    

bumparooney

------------------
  ~ ~

www.ntsga.com
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 8:21 am    

'nuther bump. (geez,I hope I don't get busted by the "bump police".)

------------------
  ~ ~

www.ntsga.com
Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 8:33 am    

You big Nashvile pickers get all the attention,you keep out bumping the "baby" Az.Steel Assoation meeting.For shame.Call the Bump Police.
Ray

------------------
Steeling is still legal in Arizona
Anne Marie O Keeffe

Co.Waterford,Ireland.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 9:30 am    

Can I get in on this bumping!
Mike Jones

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 12:06 pm    

I see your bump and raise you one.
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2002 4:28 am    

Y'all can't get rid of me that easy!

------------------
  ~ ~

www.ntsga.com
Mike Jones

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2002 2:13 pm    

Bumparoo, by Don Rich and the Bumparoos
JACK HEERN

MURPHYSBORO,IL. USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2002 2:48 pm    

Joan Cox.....Don't even go there!!
Just play yer set and keep yer mouth shut!
jp
HEY Cookie got an * too

[This message was edited by JACK HEERN on 24 September 2002 at 03:51 PM.]

Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 4:17 am    

Hey Smiley!!...Look at Anne Marie getting in here with all this Bumping....well I suppose I dont really have an Axe To GRIND about that !!!!
Joan Cox

Eustace, TX USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 5:07 am    

Jack, don't even start with me

Looking forward to seeing you.

Joan

You know..you're really not a bad player, for a guy..

[This message was edited by Joan Cox on 25 September 2002 at 06:08 AM.]

[This message was edited by Joan Cox on 25 September 2002 at 06:08 AM.]

Jerry Brightman

Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 5:02 pm    

Mike,
"Bumparoo, by Don Rich and the Bumparoos"

I like the way you think and play too.

Jerry http://www.slidestation.com
JACK HEERN

MURPHYSBORO,IL. USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 5:15 pm    

Ouch!!
I'm crushed....Oh Wellllllll
You can always tell a woman...but you can't tell them anything.

[This message was edited by JACK HEERN on 25 September 2002 at 06:17 PM.]

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2002 3:57 pm    

^
^
^
^
Gaylon Mathews

Jasper, Georgia
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2002 9:16 am    

Another great show! This time there was plenty of parking, not hard to find, plenty of seating and those who smoke could still see and hear the show from the bar in the next room. Thanks Jan, Smiley, Joan and the rest of you guys who work so hard to see that everything goes so well.

------------------
Gaylon's Homepage
www.geocities.com/nashville/1064

Craig Collins & High Lonesome
www.craigcollins.org

Joan Cox

Eustace, TX USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2002 10:35 am    

I want to thank Smiley for asking me to play at the SuperJam last night. I had a great time. I was a little surprised at the turnout; I figured there would be more people there, especially at our new place, the American Legion Post 88 in Donelson. Lots of room, and we even had some folks there that enjoyed dancing. Those of you who weren't there..it was a good show all the way around. Jack Heern, Rob Parker, and Dan Dowd played a great set together, and Rob did some singing, which is always a treat. I got to share the stage with Malcolm Kirby and Larry Dolan for the next set. Malcolm and Larry..you both sounded great. David Spires, Mike Jones, and Stu Basore all had a wonderful last set. Our next SuperJam will be in January next year. So if you weren't able to make this one, plan on the next one. We sure do manage to have a fun time
Joan Cox

[This message was edited by Joan Cox on 02 October 2002 at 11:40 AM.]

[This message was edited by Joan Cox on 02 October 2002 at 11:42 AM.]

Mike Jones

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2002 9:16 am    

My thanks to Smiley and the NTSGA for asking me to play. What a great time and show for 5 dollars. Rob Parker, you played great and thanks for singing with Stu, David and myself on our set. It was a honor to set behind you. Joan Cox, what a great player, you have a nice touch and great tone and a vast assortment of licks.
All the players really played great! For those that missed it it was a dandy show.

Thanks,
Mike "Cookie" Jones
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2002 10:16 am    

I don't know how Smiley did it.. He was really tired from the 1300 miles we drove that nite and day to get there.I was just getting home in Fla when your show concluded... You folks can sure be proud of Smiley...He represented NTSGA well. He played some fabulous steel up in new england two nites before....I need some of his energy...must be the hot dogs.Certainly it ain't the beans. Then again you never know.

------------------
CJC

Joan Cox

Eustace, TX USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2002 11:09 am    

Thanks Mike..that means alot coming from you. It was good to hear you too. You probably won't remember this because it was a long time ago, at least 20 years or so. I was playing at a bar in Missouri close to where I was living at the time. I hadn't been playing very long. It was right across from a motel that ran along the road in Wentzville, MO. The other guys in the band told me that Barbara Mandrell was across the street because the bus was over there. I just figured they were telling me a lie, you know, trying to make me scared or something. Anyway, closer to the end of the night, I was on the stage, and someone was standing in the door of the bar (it was summertime, so they left the door open. That someone, it turns out was you. I'll just tell you that I was a little concerned because everytime I'd look up, you were watching me. I was beginning to get a little scared because I was by myself, and didn't really know what to do. By the way, I didn't know it was you. Anyway, we finished up around 1:00 in the morning, and you came over and said something nice to me and complimented my playing. I remember asking you if you played..you said "yeah, I play. And then when you said you played for Barbara, I knew the guys had been telling me the truth. I hadn't put my guitar in the case yet, and asked if you would like to play. You did, and I think my mouth went the floor. The guys never let me live that one down. Thanks for being nice to me and encouraging me way back then. It's good to have you in our club too.
Joan Cox
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2002 11:38 am    

I only came in here to make a wise crack about smoking, but then I got to reading Joan's story. Nice story...

Now Mike should tell us what it was like playing steel for a "girl singer" who also plays some steel? You know, was she ever helpful, critical or neither? I understand that Barbara's dad was a friend of Norm Hamlet.

------------------
HagFan

Mike Jones

Goodlettsville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2002 12:26 pm    

Joan,
I remember that, we were staying in Wentzville because we had a couple of days off and the guitar player & drummer was from there. Dave Powelson played guitar and Randy Wright was the drumer and we had to play the MO. state fair in a day or so. I didn't remember that the steel player was you though. I was impressed with your playing back then and even more so later at the show I've seen you play at.
Barbara was a good steel player, she didn't play E9th a lot but, was a terror on C6th. She was taught by Norm Hamlett and was a fast learner. She had a fast right hand and was very accurate, she rarely messed any of her solos up. She was always a fan of the instrument and knew all the player and respected them. She was one of my biggest fans and I always had to keep my "Chops" up. During a performance she would hear if you played something out of the ordinary and would turn and look at you and just grin. If you screwed up you would hear about that too. She was a great boss and I miss working with her.

Cookie
Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2002 12:36 pm    

Smiley, and the NTGSA.,
I want to express my thanks and appreciation for the nice comments about the jam...I really do thank you for the invite..although at the time I did not think it was a good idea...ha...
All the players did a great job and I really enjoyed them..and it was really great getting to work with Stu,David and Mike...such talented players and great showmen...thank you for letting me set in....
As always,Joan was her slick picking self,and with Larry and my buddy Malcolm,they played a great set...
And it was good to see some friends there,that I had not seen in a long time...
Jack and Dan were really pumped up....they enjoyed it also,even tho they said they were 'nervous'....if I can play like they did,I want to be nervous also....
Thanks again Smiley....

RP..."come on in'...
Dan Dowd

Paducah, KY, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2002 1:39 pm    

Rob, nervous isn’t the word. Imagine folks having John Hughey, Buddy Emmons, Lloyd Green, Russ Hicks, Tommy White, and many other great pickers in the audience, including the pickers on the show. It’s enough to cause ones heart to pump a little faster and get the adrenalin flowing. It was a real honor to be invited to play the first show at the new location. Also a special thanks to Smiley and the club for inviting me.
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2002 2:16 pm    

Rob Parker, Dan Dowd and Jack Heern, that was the best 1st set I've heard so far at a Superjam and I've played 2 of them! Joan, your playing is always a joy to hear. I enjoy your taste and style. Malcom Kirby knocked me down with his playing and Larry Dolan can play his butt off when he wants to. Mike Jones, David Spires & Stu, I thoroughly enjoyed your set. All I can say is that it was FIRST CLASS! Those of you who chose not to come out and be a part of Tuesday night missed out on a great evening of great players. Thank you all for a wonderful night of music.
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2002 6:03 am    

I did a few photo's of the "SuperJam 11".
They can be viewed at:
Http://photos.yahoo.com/crookwf

Double click on the Super Jam 11 album.

This was a real special time for us. We had relocated the SuperJams to a new location and I think that it was a most sucessfully change. A lot more parking area,better view of the performance stages, and a really good sound.

Enjoy the photo's and refer to this post of the NTSGA SuperJam 11 for the players.