| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guilty / w / an Explanation
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 7:04 am    

I wanted to post this for those of you who often times wonder why I talk so much. I am
often asked a simple question from a member &
my answer is more than 10 pages in length.

I hide nothing from myself,,I hide nothing from anyone,,Im not ashamed of what I have done,but Iam sorry.

An example when a member asked me if I stayed
on with Fender after the aqquisition of Fender by CBS....my answer took up 10 pages
of an explanation,,,whereas all I had to say was,,,,Yes R.L. I did stay with Fender after
CBS bought the Fender Company,,,but No not me
I have to go into a "sermon". For things like this Im sorry.

If I ever delete a post,,or edit a post,,its
not because Im ashamed or sorry of what I posted,,,but sorry for incorrect spelling but more so, for the length of the "yak yak yak".

Buddy E. can say in one line what takes me 100 lines to say,,,he plays that way over me as well,,I can handle that,,how ya do that Buddy?

I live in Northeastern PA in a relativley small town,,I love the country,,Im even friends with the bears, even though they break into my porch,,,but for the past year my life has changed.

My wife had become ill with cancer,,myself as
well,,,looks like we hit the jackpot. Sort of a "two fer".

The only relaxation is when I get on this Forum,,,my time is taken up with other things. We have had a difficult year with health issues and its not letting up.

We drive at least 6 hours a day to and from
New York where out primary doctors are located, Why?? are there no doctors here????
Yes there are,,,,but since we moved here from Northern Westchester County,we have never been able to establish ourselves with the local doctors,,Oh maybe a head cold or something minor OK,,,,but with the disease that follows my wife, it is our choice to return to the doctors we have faith and trust
in.

It may seem to many of you is all I do is sit here at the PC..thats the furthest thing from the truth,,we drive the distance on an average of 3 to 4 time's a week over 350 miles a day ,,,three to 4 days a week.

My reason for starting this thread was to apologize to those of you who have to suffer
through my long threads and posts, but its all I have to get my mind off of the problems at hand. For the moment at least when Im asked a question regarding my years and expieriences with Fender,,,I just get carried away and it serves as a "release" for me and yet may be a hardship on others.

Why dont that guy SHUT UP?? I asked one guy this question,,,,Do you think my posts are too long???he said NO...I said what kind
of computer do you have,,,,he said,,I dont have a computer and walked away. true story.

My wife is battling with a killer disease & Im not really strong enough to handle the thought of losing her, she is always on the up side,,she works hard to keep me on the straight and narrow,,,she is not only a wonderful wife but my best friend.

Only a few know the story,,Gene Jones,,Keoki
Lake, they are fully aware of what has been going on as they e mail me daily to keep up with Marilyn's condition.

Recently despite her not feeling well,,she took on the task of cooking and preparing a big dinner for a few friends of mine,,,I asked her not to go through all the trouble and planning she was doing,,but she said,,I want your friends to have a good day and enjoy themselves, besides I like to see people eat and have a good time,,she added I want you to have friends.

She prepared a dinner for a "King" in this case,,,,,there would be three "Kings" coming to dinner,,,the three would have been Smiley
Roberts,,Joe Casey,,and a friend of Smileys Joe's "Tex" I guess Tex is from Texas.

This was to take place after the Mass Bash,,we were aware that Smiley and Joe and Tex could not spend too much time due to other commitments,,Smiley had to return to Nashville,,,Joe to Florida and I guess Tex went back to Texas,,,,where else does a guy named Tex go??? to New Jersey?

The sad part was that they were unable to make it,,that made me sad,,but both my wife and myself understood,,Smiley called me a few days later to apologize,,,there was no need for that as we understood,,,but we did miss out on a lot of fun I know,,.

A day later we were to return to the Doctor
to examine my wife,,they took another mammogram and the results were far from being
enthusiastic,,despite her not feeling well and not telling me, she went the whole 9 yards for my friends....thats the kind of wife I have. There are more tests to come within this week and possibly more surgery coming up as well.

My only release from what I see around me is this Forum,,I have no friends to speak of here in PA..my friends for the most part are on the Forum. Howard R as you know him, has been a constant inspiration to me and gives me his shoulder to lean on,,,ditto with Gene Jones and Keoki Lake,& Nick Allen,.

I just wanted to explain to all of you as to why I talk so dammed much...I feel like a drunk the night after when I go back and look at what I have posted. Im hesitant in deleting what I posted for fear that someone
will think Im hiding something,,all Im trying
to hide is the frustration and fear of losing my wife to this dreadful disease.

To look at her now,,,,you would see a beautiful gal with her new hair beginning to grow back and a positive attitude,,,she is not afraid,,,,,it is I who is afraid.

That is why I ramble on so often here on the Forum,,as for enemies?? I have one (1) and thats ME. Im my own worst enemy.

In closing this speech...I spoke with Smiley a few days ago and told him...I ate all 6 steaks,,,,,2 apple pies home made with loads of cinnamom,,,kielbasi which I know he loves
German Chocolate cake,,,etc etc...I can only add that I gained 7 lbs,,,Oh yeah I forgot,,Joe Casey dont like cheese,,so we left that out of the menu.

I hope and pray that we will once again have the opportunity to have them here again,they
missed a good time and so did I.

Again Im sorry for the long posts.But now you may better understand my resaons.

MY best to all of you,,,keep your fingers crossed for good luck for Marilyn.

Jody OH I edited something,,,,Yes Im GUILTY
but I gave all of you my Explanation. I hope you understand. PS I edited again...I mis-spelled at as ar..thats the key right next to
the "t" so you see what I Mean...Im a dummy.

Careful dont encourage me....you may be sorry Thank you. My two pups suffer through
this day after day as they are in their crates waiting for us to return home.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 08 October 2002 at 09:22 AM.]

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 7:27 am    

Jody,with all the knowledge and history that you have regarding Fender and the music industry as a whole, the Forum would suffer a great loss if you threw in the towel on us or even if you cut back on the information you share.

With the health problems you and your spouse are living with,being worried about what people think about your posts are not something you need to worry about. You are right some items may get lengthy, but when they are of interest to me, I read every word of them. If not, I glean what I want from them and go on. Needless to say there are very few items that I do not read them in their entirety.

I am glad you are a regular on the Forum. Keep it up.

My prayers are with you and your wife. Keep the faith. We went through the same with my wife's mother and she beat it,living for almost 30 years and to a ripe old age. God Bless.
Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 7:32 am    

Do your thing Jody, I'll read 'em. My wife and I send you our sympathy, but more important our prayers. I imagine if the folks think the posts are too long, they can pass over them. Have a good day and a better life. Fred and Pat

------------------
The spirit be with you!!

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 7:38 am    

Jody, the people who appreciate your posts over those who don't is probably something like 3344 to 1. You should feel good about those odds! So keep on posting them! We need to hear those stories!
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 8:32 am    

Thanks to all of you...and Frank,,I wished that the other three thousand plus felt as you do, I'll try harder.

Thanks again for your kind words. Im on my way back to the pulmonologist,,,,,there is
nothing but "ologists" in our lives.

Cardiologists
Oncologists
Radiologists
Urologists
Pulmonologists,,,would it be proper for me to sign off as...

Jody ,,Steelguitarologist? Gotta run they are waiting (the doctors). I have a Dr. that is a double for Willie Nelson,,he's my proctologist...On the "road again.....Oh my.

I meant no insult to Willie,,,he's one of my favorites,,,,but my proctologist cant sing.
you ought to see his office charges,,,Ouch.
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 8:35 am    

Post as many and as long as you want to Jody. Enjoy you so much. My best to you and yours. I have a friend in Louisiana that is called Tex. WHY? Its better than being called Louise. CC
Randy Pettit

North Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 8:37 am    

Too long? Ha! They're not long enough! With all the wisdom and knowledge you've amassed, I cannot imagine a "Jody Lite" post. Next time you edit your posts, please add more - can't get enough. And have another kielbasa (klobase in these parts) on me.
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 9:14 am    

too long? never! Our prayers go out to you and your wife.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 9:17 am    

Keep on doin'it Jody
you've come this far, so don't pull the plug yet
Steel can't wait for that tweed thang...

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 08 October 2002 at 10:20 AM.]

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 9:21 am    

Jody, my dear friend...you say, "cross your fingers". Well, it's gonna take a lot more than crossed fingers and we're both aware of that. To all you folks out there on the FORUM, it's gonna take a lot of prayers and medical expertise especially for Marilyn. Things are not going well for her at all. I'm glad Jody has finally laid it out on the FORUM. I have been tempted many times to say "something", (especially in "Our Extended Family"), but in respect, decided to wait for Jody to post it. Jody, my thoughts are with you two constantly. Seldom a day goes by without me wondering how Marilyn is doing...she's one very brave lady! Tonite folks, as you tuck yourselves into bed, say a heartfelt prayer for these two fine people. They are going through a very rough time together...."In sickness and in health"....God Bless Jody and Marilyn.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 9:32 am    

After a long battle of our own I lost my wife to breast cancer back in '93, so I sure know about the hardships you're under, Jody. Like you she was my best friend, and bless her heart, only 35. A lot of things changed for me, I didn't know how I'd make it through. But I gradually came to realize the impression all the good times had made on me, how many good friends I had, what grace and strength dear Debbie had shown me all along, and I started to see the silver linings in all the dark clouds. From your post, Jody, I think you're already there- I hope you appreciate every day and all the gifts large and small there are in your life- and helping so many others out with your vast knowledge and experience is certainly a gift we can all share! My very best to you and Marilyn- I hope sincerely that all comes out great for you both and that we enjoy your great posts for many years to come. Take good care!
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 9:35 am    

Jody.....Charlotte and I have traveled over most of the U.S. and the world,(most of it compliments of the U.S. Army),but so far we have missed the Northeast Quandrant of the U.S.

When she is "well" again, we may take a jog that way, and impose upon your hospitality for a night. It you don't have any of those steaks left we can just go down to the "Sizzling Sirloin" or whatever they are called up your way!

You and Marilyn get well and stay well until that opportunity comes that we can finally meet in person.

Love ya,

Gene

Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 9:59 am    

Jody, it sometimes helps to let it out. We are good listeners. We'll be praying for you and your wife.Hang in there. Buck & Mitzi
Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 10:06 am    

Jody, I hope you won't be upset that I post this wonderful picture from the book "Fender - The Sound Heard 'Round the World". We love you, man!

Click here for larger pic

------------------
Fessenden SD10 - Mesa/Boogie amps
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 10:18 am    

I look forward to Jody Carver posts the same way I used to look for those custards on the garden fence posts. They weren't there for most of the times but boy when they were !!!!

The treat more than made up for the times they were missed. While I miss you and the stories, I too have my hands full with the Lil' Guy. Today it was his 6 mos check-up and two shots; no more until he is one, so those trials are behind us for awhile. It seems that all my life has been spent going from one disaster or tradgedy to another. I am beginning to think that is how it is every where.

Who said war was long periods of boredom interspersed with brief periods of pure horror ?? I think life is long periods of troubles and woes interspresed with brief periods of sublime happiness. When this little boy hugs my neck and coos at me, it all seems more than worth it.

I hope you have those brief periods too, Jody !! They are what make it all bearable. And you too Gene, I haven't forgotten you(all) either !!

The summer drought has killed off everything but a few special plants we saved. Time and water conservation did not allow for saving it all but what was left is very special to us. Even the hurricanes passed us by.....

Maybe next year it will rain a little......

Be Well Friends; I'm still here !

Regards, Paul
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 10:26 am    

Jody- You have a lot of friends on this Forum and you know I am one of them!

I have always read every one of your posts and find them to be informative, educational, interesting, and humorous too. You just keep on writing . You know that most of us really enjoy them

I haven't been able to Email you lately, do you have a new address now?

God bless you and Marilyn, I feel everything will work out just fine and be OK. There has been a lot of progress made in that field medically lately...take care...al
Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 10:52 am    

Jody, keep up the long posts. I always enjoy reading your words of wit and wisdom. I can't stand one-line posts. Prayers for you and your wife are in process.
Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 12:13 pm    

Jody,
Our prayers go out to you and your wife. Keep up the posts, they are great! I really enjoy all of them very much.
E-mail me sometime, I would love to talk with you about the retail music biz (I own two stores)
Douglas Hudson

Galena, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 12:24 pm    

Jody, I think it is safe to say that you have a home here with all of us. Our prayers go out to you and your wife. Never stop writing Please!
Douglas Hudson
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 12:37 pm    

Iam writing this from my daughters house in
Westchester County NY. The posts that you have offered are being looked at by my daughter Lorrie and my granddaughter Casey who is 7 years old,,she's a whip,and though we try to keep it from her,,she is well aware
of what is happening. Her other grandma has the same thing. She asked my daughter why Jesus has not answered her prayers as she prays every night for her "nanny" as she calls Marilyn,,,Lorrie waited and explained
that Jesus has so many,many people to make well that it may take some time for Jesus to make Nanny better.

Your thoughts and comments mean more to me and my family than you will ever know,,,,the
photo of me shows where I was wearing a western outfit,,,thats my dad on the far left.

Casey is a big fan of Gene Jones,,its amazing
what a mind she has for such a little girl,I dont get to see her as often as I would like
,but when she visits us which is not too often,,she is intrigued by my steel guitar.

I have many times had her sit behind my Emmons guitar and she would ask,,,,"Poppy" thats me,,why are there two of them,,making reference to the necks,,I wondered now how do I explain this,,as my daughter Lorrie sits
by wondering what will come next,,I reply,well I use one of those for different types of music,,her answer is OK,,but why?? &
why are those things on the bottom (pedals) and what do they do???

I tried to explain and she comes out and says
Oh I get it,,you change your notes with those
so its easier to play. I said well sort of yes.

I showed her a picture of myself in the 1954
Fender Catalogue dressed in a western shirt and white cowboy hat,,she said,,thats not you
...thats a cowboy,,your'e not a cowboy, I explained it was part of how we would dress when playing western music,,she blurted out and replied,,,,thats not right poppy you are
trying to fool everyone to think you are a
REAL COWBOY,,,,,,ever ride a horse? I said NO
her reply then you are NOT a REAL Cowboy.

I let her listen to a CD Gene Jones sent me,and she kept it,I told this to Gene as Casey and Gene have become e mail friends.

She called me a few days later after listening to Gene's CD and said,,Poppy,,I think you really play good,,but I have to tell you something and please dont get angry
with me,,,promise??? I said sure,,,what is it? she replied,,I like the way Mr.Jones plays a little better than you do,,and besides that,,,he's a REAL COWBOY and your'e not,,but Poppy I dont care because I love you with all my heart.

That little sweetheart prays each night and she is well aware of what lies ahead,,,she hears whispers two rooms away,,Lorrie told her to go to bed last night,it was late and she had to get up for school today,,she went into her little room surrounded by dolls and kid stuff and Lorrie waited a bit and walked past her room,,,she was kneeling at her bedside with her hands clasped together,,,,,
Lorrie said are you praying to Jesus?? Lorrie
teaches sunday school and Casey is in her class every Sunday,, Casey said yes Mommy,,Im praying for "nanny",,,Lorrie then replied OK but when you are done,,,get in that bed and get to sleep.

It was about 20 minutes later that Lorrie looked into Caseys room and there she was still kneeling and praying,,,Lorrie said Casey,,,I told you to go to bed you have to get up tomorrow she without looking up said OK Mommy,,,,,"BUT I'M NOT DONE PRAYING YET".

I will be leaving here about 9 pm tonight and like Casey,,,Im NOT DONE PRAYING YET and Casey is right,,,Im not a real Cowboy,,,,
because real cowboys "never cry" and right now thats what Im doing,,so I guess that little sweetheart is right,,,. Marilyn never
looks at the computer,,,I make copies of anything that interests her,,I would like to show this to her, but I know she will be overcome,. I will show my e address at home Al and you can e mail me anytime.....Im NOT DONE PRAYING YET and I WONT EVER STOP.

My thanks and prayers go out to all of you as well and if anyone you ever need a prayer
for a loved one,,let me know,,and I'll have Casey do her thing. I cant let her see me this way,,I want her to think Im a real cowboy ,,well sort of,,Gene Jones is her fan and Gene has a couple because Caseys
Poppy is Gene's fan as well.

Thanks for the wonderful comments,,my words cannot express how you make me feel. I have to get back to the hospital,,,I'll keep you up to date. Thanks.

Jody my e address is still hotclub@ptd.net

Boy I talk alot dont I???????

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 08 October 2002 at 01:42 PM.]

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 12:44 pm    

Jody,
I lost both my mom & dad to "C". I was as much involved in their fight as you can be with out having it myself. I understand a small part of what your going through and my heart go's out to you and your wife both.
Jim Eaton
JE:-)>
Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 1:26 pm    

Jody-- Yes!, please just be as you are. That's the best any of us can be and, in your case, is fine enough for us all. You know how I and others esteem your morality and character. Some of us have emailed privately trying to express, and look at all those who, with different words, feel the same way. You and Marilyn have many friends and that simply *must* count for something to contribute to a happy outcome. We pray so. --Everett

[This message was edited by Everett Cox on 08 October 2002 at 02:27 PM.]

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 1:27 pm    

Jody:
I think probably many more people than you realize have known something of your situation, and I hope you know that everyone's hoping the very best for you both. Anyone who's ever heard you play knows what a superb musician you are and how much you have to offer here - not to mention your unique insider info on the history of the Fender corporation. Worried you talk too much? Hey, just shut up and keep talking would you, Jody? We love ya.
Andy Zynda

Wisconsin
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 3:43 pm    

Hey Jody,
I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear about you and the missus battling the big C.
It sucks in a big way, and my heart goes out to you.
If anyone on the earth can beat that thing by sheer good humor and spirit, it's gotta be you and yours!
I'll be a-pullin' fer ya!
-andy-
John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 4:52 pm    

Jody, My goodest friend, NEVER THINK FOR A MINUTE that you're not loved and appreciated by us all.These posts attest to that fact. The CREATOR has plans for you and Marilyn I'm sure. You guys are survivors. Prayers are in progress for you and Marilyn all over and here in south Georgia too !! The only thing wrong with your posts as far as I can see is that there aren't enough of them. I look for them every time I check in the forum. When I find one, all else ceases til I read it in it's entirety. Keep em comin' CUZ, and GOD BLESS YOU AND MARILYN !!

------------------
"Let's go STEEL something"
If it feels good, do it. If it feels COUNTRY, do it twice
jpp

[This message was edited by John P.Phillips on 08 October 2002 at 05:54 PM.]