| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hits by steel players
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 4:20 pm    

I can only think of 2 Ralph Mooney's Crazy Arms and Danny De Vito's Queen of Hearts .
Any more ?
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 4:32 pm    

I think it was Hank DeVito.

Santo and Johnny Farina wrote Sleep Walk which was a hit.

I'm sure there are others.
Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 4:48 pm     Theme from "Adventures in Paradise" et al

Jerry Byrd got a lot of radio play , at least locally around these parts, for his beautiful rendition of "Theme from Adventures in Paradise"!! and also there was a Hawaiian song , "Hawaiian Tattoo " by ???? that was played quite a bit !!! Eddie "C"
Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 5:09 pm    

This oughta be a short thread....
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 6:40 pm    

Moon also wrote 'Foolin'. Recorded by Johnny Rodriguez. Jody.
Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 6:54 pm    

If you're talking about hit songs written by steelers, Bill Johnson, who played for Marty Robbins, wrote quite a few songs and had a hit with "A wound time can't erase". Also, Glen Ray, who played steel for Tom T for a few years had several hits as a song writer. "I just came home to count the memories" was one, and there were several others.

I'm sure there are quite a few more, but that's all I can think of right now.
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 7:25 pm    

Bruce Bouton has too.

Tony
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 7:52 pm    

Danny DeVito had the short version. Laughing Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 7:55 pm    

Hartley,

"Just Came Home To Count The Memories" . Wow, what a song. I liked it when Cal Smith did it and when John Anderson did it too. Maybe others cut it too, but that's the only ones I'm familar with. Smile
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 8:24 pm    

Reading the topic indicates "steel guitar hits" to my way of thinking. The first to come to mind is Lloyd Green. Lloyd had what I consider to be modern day pedal steel guitar hits with such instrumental versions of "I can see clearly now" and "Sally G".
A short time before I had interest in pedal steel guitar, I understand Pete Drake had some regional successes with a gadget referred to as "the steel guitar talk box". A novelty sound and idea worth pursuing in that particular era.
I would also think the original "Steel Guitar Rag" might need honorable mention for the era in which it was recorded.

Last edited by Tommy White on 4 Nov 2009 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2009 10:24 pm    

In the 40's Steel Guitarist Paul Westmoreland wrote the song "Detour". It was a big hit and was recorded by many Artists and Bands.
David Hartley

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 2:45 am     Hi

Jim.. I like your picture...to complicated, I'll play drums.. Laughing

Tommy.. I saw you at the Opry on the first night of the classics when Gene Watson and Mel Tillis were there, I done the backstage tour afterwards but you had gone.. Got a picture of the Web settings though..Ha..

I am watching this thread with interest..

What the definition of a 'Hit'? If it's a chart hit, is it a top 10, top 40, top 100?

There's many instrumentals on some of my old records that I personally would call hits (in the steel guitar world)..
Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 2:58 am    

I was thinking more along the lines of pop type hits as opposed to instrumentals but Sleepwalk would have to qualify .I reckon anything that has reached top 10 . And should we class Johnny Paycheck as a steel player as he had a couple for sure .
Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 4:31 am    

You make a very good point Mr. Hartley. Smile
Billy Peddycoart

champain,IL US.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 4:36 am    

Pete Drake.."I'm sorry" early 60's
Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 4:41 am    

Billy Mize wrote 'Who Will Buy the Wine'....recorded by many over the last 50 years.

SC/TN
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 5:44 am    

Tommy,

I thought the same thing when I first saw the thread title, but when he mentioned "Crazy Arms", it seemed to go in another direction.

Either way, interesting thread.

David, I meant to say hello to you in St. Louis, but everytime I looked, you had crowds of folks around you. For sure, next year though.

Jim
David Hartley

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 6:18 am     Hi

Jim.. Righto Bro,

A hit for me is pedal pattle by LG.. Has anyone ever worked out that one? I am in my van driving at the moment listening to this and others on the 'Hit Sounds' album.. These are all hits in my ears..

Mr. Campbell.. there's 2 Hartley's on this thread now..
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 9:14 am     All the hoopla-la...............for Sleep Walk

"Sleep Walk" certainly became a classic steel guitar
performance
but.......

it's probably because some of you are simply not old enough to know any different........

Leon McAuliff's steel guitar instrumental "Panhandle Waltz" became a BIG HIT and did a cross-over to many of the "POP ONLY STATIONS" in this region. That was during an era when Country/Hillbilly DID NOT MIX with the pop charts. Eddy Arnold was still billed as a FOLK SINGER and the rest of the pack were dubbed Hillbilly.

Leon did a fine job and it was another of those 4 +/-minute records like Marty Robbins and Hank Williams were popularized for recording.

My hat's off to you LEON!
Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 9:53 am    

Jerry Byrd's "Theme From Adventures In Paradise" reached 97 on the Billboard top 100 pop chart in August 1960.

Jerry Byrd's "Memories Of Maria" reached 74 in March 1962. I remember that getting a lot of air play.

Sleep Walk by Santo and Johnny hit number 1 in the summer of 1959. It was the 10th biggest pop record of the year and the biggest instrumental.

"Pete Drake And His Talking Steel Guitar" reached number 25 with "Forever" in early 1964.

Bob Wills "San Antonio Rose" (the original instrumental version with Leon) ranked 95 on the chart for the year 1941.

I can't find any other instances of steel instrumentals ranking on the chart--nothing with "Panhandle" in the title, nothing else with "Steel Guitar" in the title that is obviously a steel recording.

Which apparently means the infamous "Steel Guitar Rag" never ranked in the top 100.

Last edited by Mitch Drumm on 4 Nov 2009 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 9:56 am    

If you are referring to strictly traditional country hits, I don't really know, but I'm thinkin' that Rusty Young wrote some hit songs for Poco in the country rock field. Maybe Pete Kleinow also? Doug Livingston. Many steel players were/are excellent song writers.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 12:47 pm    

The highest chart position for a Poco song (written by R. Young) was Nr. 17 in '79, it was Crazy Love.
Rose Of Cimmaron was only at 94.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 1:22 pm    

I believe Curley Putman who wrote a slew of country hits was a steel player. Some of 'em were "My Elusive Dreams", "Green, Green, Grass of Home" and others....

Also Billy Mize who was mentioned before as the writer of "Who'll Buy the Wine" also wrote "Make it Rain" which was recorded by Ray Price & Dean Martin. Dean also recorded Billy's tune "Terrible Tangled Web"........JH in Va.

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 1:33 pm    

If I'm not Sleep Walk is the only steel guitar instrmentel to make it to #1 on the charts. Very Happy
Michael Schweedler

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 1:34 pm    

If I'm not mistaken Sleep Walk is the only steel guitar instrmentel to make it to #1 on the charts. Very Happy