| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My First Steel Delivered Saturday
Jack Dillard

Elkton, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 8:19 pm    

Hi All,

Got my first Pedal Steel Saturday. Many thanks to Bob Simmons. Can't play a lick yet but looking forward to learning.

I was able to put it together following Bob's instructions and he included a tuning chart and some basic instructional materials with it.

I'm hoping to visit with Donny Hinson in the next few weeks and get some pointers to get off on the right foot with it. I've also checked out the Jeffran College web page, as I read on here that his lessons are very good, but haven't ordered any materials yet.

I learned how to play guitar years ago using a Mel Bay book, maybe I'll try one of them for pedal steel first.

Anyway, b0b, thanks for the forum and everyone else thanks for what I've learned from the forum so far, like what blocking is, what a copendant is, the difference between an Emmonds and Day set up, tuning offsets and more.

My Site
Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 8:24 pm    

Congrats on your first guitar. They are addictive. I recomend Winnie Winston's Pedal Steel Guitar book with cd . Bob has it for sale from the forum. Scotty has good instruction too for the beginner. Good luck and have fun.

Tony
Pete Conklin

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 10:00 pm    

Congrats on your new, soon-to-be addiction. I have one of Bob Simmons' guitars and I love it! It's a smooth playing, great sounding horn. You'll love it.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2009 11:49 pm    

If you're a six-stringer already,getting started should be pretty easy.Just play around with it some.
Ryan McMahon

The Land Of Sky Blue Waters
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2009 7:48 am    

CONGRATS!!! Welcome to the tribe! As stated already in this thread; super, mega, ultra addicting. Hope you warned your loved ones, as you will probably be spending more time with your steel than them! Don't say we didn't warn you! Steels should come with a gov't warning label. Something like-Extremely habit forming. or May cause cancer in a healthy relationship! Wish someone would have told me that when I started! Enjoy!

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 7:47 am    

Jack
I checked out your bands website.
Sounds like good cover band.

I think you'll make the transition
nicely.

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabs.com
Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 8:08 am     welcome

Welcome to the SGF !
While you're browsing Jeff Newmans website, you might want to consider investing in his "Right Hand Alpha" DVD.
It helped me a whole lot
Rick
Jeremiah Hanley

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 7:41 pm    

Good choice!! You've found something that will keep you at home, off the streets, and out of trouble. I had a good helper when I first started. In fact, after 50 years, she still helps me today...that's my sweet little wife. Hopefully yours will be like-minded and be an encouragement to you. If not, good luck! I had a push pull, Jimmy Day setup, and it was with me 21 years. I have an Emmons, Lashley III now. I've had it about 10 years. Steel guitars are a good investment! Mine is real good therapy. I might go nuts without it! It takes 2 things to learn: a real desire to learn to play and taking the time to practice! When I started there were no helps that I was aware of like they have now. It sounds like everyone is giving you good advice. I'm sure you appreciate it.

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2009 8:27 pm    

Congrats on your first Steel. You'll be doing shows in no time.
BD
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 10:05 am    

Jack,loved your version of Can't You See,my favorite MT song,play it every week,makes a great steel tune. YOU BETCHA, DYK?BC.

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 12:30 pm    

Jack
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of steel! I guarantee that you will spend many enjoyable hours behind the Simmons and also on the computer, discussing steel related issues.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 3:06 pm    

Jack, will you be atttending (or playing at) the big show next week? Question
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 3:10 pm    

Big show?
Ivor Greenwood

Northern Ireland
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 3:22 pm     instructional material

Jack
congratulations on your new steel...I would suggest you buy just about everything available from the Jefferan college..It really is the real deal...If Jeff was alive to-day I would spend a year at his college...His video's are superb and easy to follow....I would also suggest you buy Mickey Adams ..new book and CD...Its very very good as well...good luck on the progress...cheers
K.J. Tucker

Texas
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 10:16 pm    

I finally found the word that describes this thing I caught addictive

Thanks Guys ! My wife has known it for a long while !

Later

Tuck

8~)

If you can read this Thank a Teacher , If it is in English Thank a Soldier !

Luck is preparation meets opportunity............ My Grandmother
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 11:03 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:

Brint Hannay wrote:
Big show?
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2009 11:14 pm    

The right hand alpha + steel guitar techniques + winnie winstons book will keep you busy for a looooooong time. The trio is a great way to get up and running. Have Fun!

Elkton, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 12:48 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:

Hi Donny,

Yes, I'll be there, on stage with you backing up Frank.

Of course I have no idea where the place is or if I need an amp. Played at a little club in Severn tonight called Joe's Oak Grove Restaurant with Johnny T and Frank stopped by. I asked him to get me some info, he said he'd call Dave and find out. He told me the name of the street the place is on but I forgot it already.

If the offer still stands for some getting started on steel pointers, I'll talk to you about it there and see when we might be able to get together.

My Site
Jack Dillard

Elkton, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 12:50 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Big show?

Doing a benefit show for the "Make a Wish" foundation somewhere off Eastern Ave. in Baltimore on 11/15.

My Site
Jack Dillard

Elkton, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 12:56 am    

Thanks everyone for the support and advice. I printed off a tab for Amazing Grace from the internet somewhere and have been playing it, if you can call it that. Enjoying it a lot but don't have the kind of time to dedicate to it that I'd like so far. Maybe work will slow down and I'll be able to spend more time on it.

I'm wondering, do changes in humidity effect a pedal steel like a guitar?

My Site
Jack Dillard

Elkton, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2009 12:58 am    

Charles Davidson wrote:
Jack,loved your version of Can't You See,my favorite MT song,play it every week,makes a great steel tune. YOU BETCHA, DYK?BC.

Thanks Charles, it's one of my favorites to.

My Site
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2009 2:01 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:

Brint Hannay wrote:
Big show?

Big show? Is there an echo in here? Laughing At any rate, it's true, friends! I'll once again be coming out of semi-retirement to do one of my exceedingly rare personal appearances. I'll be playing with at least two entirely different bands, doing duties as sergeant-at-arms and "swamper", and also selling various jams, jellies, and prayer-cloths, in addition to 78 RP&M records and tapes and 8x10 glossies of all participants. Alien I'll be no doubt flawlessly and tastefully executing the stylings of both Buddy and Lloyd. (Uhhh, that would be Buddy Ebsen and Lloyd Bridges) Razz There will be 4 or 5 bands, and likely some very special guest stars as well. (I'm told that Brad Waldemeyer, one of Pennsylvania's best steelers and banjo players, will also be attending and playing.) The show will be muchly traditional and classic country, with a small (tiny?) spattering of newer material. Starting at noon on Sunday, and going until ?, this promises to be a show of shows, a glimpse into yesteryear, and an event the likes of which has not been seen in this area for many years.

Cool

Seriously though, this is a special multi-band fund raiser for the Maryland chapter of the "Make A Wish Foundation", an organization dedicated to giving seriously ill children between 3 and 18 a chance to fulfill their fondest wish, in hopes that it will aid in their recovery, or enhance their living experience. (No one is getting paid, and all profits go to the Foundation.)

At last inquiry (several days ago), the promoter already informed me the show was nearly a sell-out, so I honestly don't know if there's any space left for performers or any others who might like to attend.
Curry Coster

Glen Burnie, MD USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2009 8:15 am    

Donny-

I'll see you there, my friend....I didn't know you were coming, so that's a bonus for me......

Curry
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2009 2:55 pm    

Curry Coster wrote:
Donny-

I'll see you there, my friend....I didn't know you were coming, so that's a bonus for me......

Curry
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2009 3:00 pm    

Curry Coster wrote:
Donny-

Curry

Yeah, yeah. Holy cow!. Now Curry's goin' to be there!!! All you big-gun steel players are just comin' to show me up, laugh at me, and kick Buddy Emmons licks in my face. Laughing

Seriously Curry, it ought to be a good time...it'll be good to see all you guys! Cool

(I might even play your favorite song, uhh..."Mansion On The Hill", wasn't it? Mr. Green )