| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Champ 600 for lapsteel?
Delvin Morgan

Lindstrom, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 6:24 am    

Does anyone use the new Fender Champ 600 for lapsteel? It is advertised as a reissue of the 1949-53 Champ. It should be good for old real country music. The guitar players seem to really like it.
Just wondering.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 7:09 am    

I tried one when it first came out. I thought it was very "boxy" sounding, much more than my Fender Pro Junior. I can see where it would be appropriate in very low volume situations, or if you're looking for that particular sound, but it wasn't my personal cup o' noise. Smile
Twayn Williams

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 10:07 am    

I find it too low volume if there are drums or any other electric instruments. After all, it's only 5 watts! I replaced the 6v6 and the AX7 with an AT7. An extension cabinet will make it louder and can sound really good but to my mind defeats the purpose of such a small amp Smile

OTOH ValveTrain makes a little 5watter that is unbelievably loud for it's size. Pretty dang pricey though!

ValveTrain 205 5W 1x8

Texas
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2009 12:44 pm     Small Size Huge Sound

At one of our SETSGC gatherings in Katy Texas Mr.Dave Ward brought one of these to the show & I was blown away ! Dave plays guitar but this amp was clean clear & crisp .

IMHO

Later

Tuck
8~)

www.jazzkatamps.com/

If you can read this Thank a Teacher , If it is in English Thank a Soldier !

Luck is preparation meets opportunity............ My Grandmother
Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2009 6:05 am     Champ 600

Hey Delvin, I have a Fender Champion 600 and use it quite a bit for various functions. First off I should mention that I immediatly changed the speaker to a Weber 6" and also upgraded the preamp tube to a RCA 5751 that I had laying around. Great improvements and fairly cheap. The Champ 600 for me is a living room/take to acoustic jam type amp. It is small and not overpowering but has those magic tubes to give you the great classic lap steel sound! I take it with me every sunday to my parents house when I visit an sometimes even play with my dad who plays piano. Instant classic tube sound in a lunchbox size pkg. But it is really made for bedroom/living room and recording purposes. I have used it at everything for backyard home acoustic jams, coffee house gigs, to a college radio acoustic in studio performance. Came in real handy it those situations. If drums were involved, would move up to my blonde Fender Blues jr. For 300$ (200 plus better speaker) you would have a great utility practice amp (save your bigger amps for gigs and full band rehearsals). Those 6v6 tubes which the 600 has are really pleasing to the ear. The only thing is you will lose low end with such a small speaker. Wish it had an 8 or 10 inch in it. I also have a Peavey Delta blues and it kinda looks like a mini version of that amp. Fun stuff. TC
Delvin Morgan

Lindstrom, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2009 9:45 am    

I went ahead and bought a "600". For low volume music room playing, I am very happy with it. I play my Dynalap through it, and it has a nice fender tone IMO.
Rusty Smith

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2009 9:48 am    

I bought one but didn't like the fact that it broke up at higher volumes. O.K. for blues or rock. I changed the preamp tube to a 12at7. That helped a lot. Then I took out the soundboard and replaced it with a 8" Jensen C8R offset to clear the power tube. Sounds much cleaner, deeper and louder. Good value for around $200 total. YMMV
Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2009 8:52 am    

I'm with Brad as far as the Pro Jr for live gigs. I have an original 600 that I use for a natural distortion when turned all the way up. I don't know how the reissues compare.