| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lots of steel guitar in Massachusetts next weekend!
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 6:26 am    

In addition to the widely announced "Mass Bash" coming up on Sunday, Sept 29 in Chicopee, MA (see http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum4/HTML/002798.html , there will be two more good opportunities for steel in Mass. next weekend (both at a club called Johnny-D's ( http://www.johnnyds.com ) in Boston):

1) Saturday, Sept 28: The Campbell Brothers and Calvin Cooke. These are the leading proponents of "sacred steel" and having them all together on one stage is going to be a mind-blowing experience. Highly recommended!

2) Monday, Sept 30: Jim Cohen (um... that would be me). I'll be the featured soloist for the evening at Johnny D's for what they're calling "Hillbilly Night". Starts at 8pm. (see http://www.hillbillynight.com They have this every Monday night, and it can encompass bluegrass, western swing, country, or any other roots-based music. I'm thrilled to be imported from Philly for this occasion, and especially delighted to have such an outstanding backup band to work with, including Mike Ihde on guitar, August Watters (also on the Berklee faculty) on bass, and Joel Glassman on fiddle (who played on my band's latest release "Bop-a-billy Swing!", and whom I have to thank for putting this all together. My set runs about an hour and a quarter, and then the house band ( http://www.yankeechickens.com ) takes over for all western swing till 11pm.

It's gonna be a fun evening so come on out and join us; especially y'all who are gonna be in the area for Mass Bash the previous day.

Jimbeaux

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 21 September 2002 at 07:35 AM.]

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2002 2:16 pm    

Jimbeaux,
You're gonna be one busy fella that weekend, and I may just try to get some of my crazed music buddies....ah, how can I say this delicately?....... to chauff, ah drive me out to Beantown to catch this Monday night event. I've heard you and Mike and Joel well enuff to know that this trip would and will be more than worth the effort.

Just gotta get those other "Bozo's-On-This-Bus" to get me there. I never travel alone,
in these dangerous times.

See ya in Chicopee...

ChipsAhoy
Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2002 6:11 am    

Darn it Jim! The one Monday night I have a gig all year and you've gotta be playing too! Oh well, maybe next time.

Joel is a great player and a great guy, hope you have fun up here.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 8:37 am    

Here's a nice poster Mike Ihde put together. Besides being a killer guitarist, he's pretty handy with computer photo stuff!

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 9:48 am    

Nice poster Jim. I just played yesterday with Mike at the RI steel show. What a fantastic guitarist! He plays all the right stuff, and then some. When I played "Crazy" Mike played the fills just like the original... only better. Saved my butt a few times!

I'm looking forward to seeing you and Mike and others in Chicopee this coming weekend (9/29).

------------------
My Site - Instruction | Doug's Free Tab | Steels and Accessories

Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 6:16 pm    

Hi Jim you are right about Mike Idhe being a killer guitarist he just played lead Guitar for us at our Rhode Island Steel Guitar Show and what a great show you missed by not being there it was the best Ever.Dana Flood was also Awsome as was Frank Carusso, Sam Gibson, And The man himself Doug Beaumier.I wish we could do it every day it is just ancredible.
Sam White
Sam White R.I.P.

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 6:17 pm    

Hi Jim you are right about Mike Idhe being a killer guitarist he just played lead Guitar for us at our Rhode Island Steel Guitar Show and what a great show you missed by not being there it was the best Ever.Dana Flood was also Awsome as was Frank Carusso, Sam Gibson, And The man himself Doug Beaumier.I wish we could do it every day it is just ancredible.
Sam White
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2002 6:18 pm    

You can sure say that again, Sam!
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2002 4:18 pm    

Thanks for asking, Ron. There's one in the mail to ya.
Jimbeaux