Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My 'Hendrix on steel and slide' project - an update
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 12:55 pm    

For those of you who may be waiting for this, here's some

Good News:
It's more or less finished now, waiting for two vocal tracks from a singer in Oslo and I have a couple minor touch-ups to do, several of the tracks are already mixed. I expect to send the mixes off to forumite Brad Sarno for mastering before the end of the month.

Not So Good News:
The small independent US label that was supposed to release it has backed out of the deal because of the generally bad financial times, especially in the music business.. So that means I'll have to find a way to raise the approx 3-3.500 USDs needed to pay for the pressing and licensing fees over here.

I'm still aiming at a December release, so all you guys (7? 8?) can get it for Christmas... Wink
The title will be "Standing Next To a Mountain".
Stephan Miller

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 1:48 pm    

Make it 9! Smile

I know you'll find a way.
Josh Cho

New York, NY (orig. Honolulu, HI)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 2:25 pm    

Add me to the list Steinar, I absolutely loved your version of Angel (Burning ..).

I'm listening to it right now Very Happy

As for production costs, have you looked into some of the low quantity (hopefully not low-quality) CD producers out there??

Josh

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 2:46 pm    

Josh Cho wrote:
have you looked into some of the low quantity (hopefully not low-quality) CD producers out there??

If nothing else works out I can always use CD Baby's duplication service, since that's where it will be offered online anyway. They charge $259 for 100 copies, so that's definitely an option while I work at funding the rest.

There are also low cost options elsewhere in Europe, but then there's the huge shipping cost plus import duties to consider...

BTW - there are live drums on all tracks now, so this time there's no drum programming or synths on the album, it's "Guaranteed 100% Organic" Very Happy
Josh Cho

New York, NY (orig. Honolulu, HI)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 2:50 pm    

Steinar Gregertsen wrote:

it's "Guaranteed 100% Organic" Very Happy

Huh? Your album is edible, as well?

Wow, that's a great marketing twist in these bad economic times... Rolling Eyes

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 2:55 pm    

Josh Cho wrote:

Huh? Your album is edible, as well?

Yup. Just be careful with the mustard... Cool
Jason Dumont

Bristol, Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 4:30 pm    

Count me as a paying customer Steinar Smile How do I pre order it? Paypal?
Cheers mate
Mark Bracewell

Willow Glen, California
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 5:24 pm    

Count me in - CD Baby works... if I had 'Angel' in hi-fi... whoa, I started another guitar build just because of that one...
Bill Asher

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 6:55 pm    

Count us in for a Dozen like your last one, Southern Moon Northern Lights.
I love your compositions and enjoy turning my customers on to your music. Let us know if pre paying would help with the funding.

Last edited by Bill Asher on 15 Oct 2009 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephen Seitz

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 7:22 pm    

I'm impressed with just how supportive this forum is as a group...that doesn't really say it well, but...recognition of a work well done...peer-to-peer critique...anyway, you guys recognize the value of one another, and that's not often found elsewhere...:::tippin' my hat:::...
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 7:49 pm    

Steiner, have you thought of some alternative formats? I saw a jazz sax player a few months ago and he was selling his stuff on a flash drive: contained 3 of his CD's but two cd's worth of live tracks for $20. the flash drive was printed with his name and web site, all in all a great package.

The nice thing is you can dump stuff on it as needed,no minimum pressings and you can put whatever you want on it, so no unsold inventory. Plus you get to choose the baud rate it is downloaced to the computer.

Just a thought
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 8:19 pm    

You could also sell it on some of the download services- I think Snocap is one- where you could charge per download. They sell by the track or by the album, kinda like ITunes but the artists get paid. I get most of my non-vinyl music that way these days. No space for all the CD's.
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2009 8:42 pm    

By the way count me in for one, as well as a copy of your previous CD as I loaned mine out and haven't gotten it back.
Fred Kinbom

Berlin, Germany, via Stockholm, Sweden.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 2:31 am    

Steinar, drop me a line if you want the details of the Czech manufacturer that pressed my album. Reasonable prices and good service.

Count me in for buying one as well. Pre-orders by PayPal could help you raise the funds.

Great that you have live drums on the tracks now!

Cheers,

Fred

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 3:34 am    

Steinar, you can count on me for an order.
Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 3:44 am    

Yep, count me in too. Reminds me too that I need to snag another copy of your first one.

-L
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 3:57 am    

Hey Steiner, have you looked into Tunecore? A friend of mine uses them to distribute his CD's (mp3's) to online music stores like i-tines, amazon, emusic, etc plus I believe they also do manufacturing of CD hardcopies. Google tunecore if you want more info.

Good luck and let us know when it's available so that I can order.

Mark
Matt Elsen

Deer Harbor, Orcas Island, WA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 6:34 am    

I'm in. Let me know if you decide to take paypal preorders.

Looking forward to it.

M.E.
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 7:24 am    

Steinar - I have no idea about which I type but... Could you not provide a "Master" copy to someone you trust here in the U.S. and have them make and distribute "Authorized" copies and then send you the profits? I'm sure it's more complicated than that but there has to be a quicker and easier way for people here in the U.S. to be able to buy and for you to make a legal profit - DB
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 7:43 am    

Looking forward to it! I'm up for a preorder.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 7:58 am    

Thanks for all the suggestions and encouraging words guys!

Quote:
I'm impressed with just how supportive this forum is as a group...

Yes, this is an oasis in an otherwise crazy world of internet forums, that's for sure!

Regarding pre-orders, I appreciate the offers but I just won't take the chance on that until I'm 100% sure the funding is secured. Things can get messy and I don't want that to happen..

Quote:
Could you not provide a "Master" copy to someone you trust here in the U.S. and have them make and distribute "Authorized" copies and then send you the profits?

That's actually not so far from the original plan, only that they would pay the pressing and licensing fees up front and take 100% off the sales until those money were recouperated. As of today I don't have one penny to spend on those things, the little I have will go to the mastering.
But I'll manage to cough up the money for the first 100 copies on CD Baby, one way or another, just to get the sales up and running and having it distributed to iTunes and all those other download sites CD Baby cooperates with.
That'll buy me some time to find a way to fund the rest, so there's definitely light at the end of the tunnel.

The city where I live have several 'cultural' funds and grants I can apply for, and since I've engaged several of the best known local musicians on this album (and I'm not a complete stranger here myself Wink )I believe I have a fairly good chance of getting some funds. I've also been in touch with the local jazz and blues festival to see if they're interesting in sponsoring the album..

Quote:
Steinar, drop me a line if you want the details of the Czech manufacturer that pressed my album.

Will do! My only concern is the import duties, since Norway's not a member of the EU.

Quote:
Steiner, have you thought of some alternative formats? I saw a jazz sax player a few months ago and he was selling his stuff on a flash drive: contained 3 of his CD's but two cd's worth of live tracks for $20. the flash drive was printed with his name and web site, all in all a great package.

I know that's the way things going, but I just can't get myself to go all the way in that direction, guess I'm too old-fashioned.. If it had been practically and financially doable I would even have pressed a couple hundred vinyl LPs! It took me almost two years to get the previous album up on iTunes... Embarassed Wink

Back to the issue of pre-orders,- you guys realize that there's an instrumental bluegrass inspired version of Manic Depression on the album, even including a banjo in the lineup? Shocked Laughing

Last edited by Steinar Gregertsen on 16 Oct 2009 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 8:00 am    

Oops, I forgot - got your order Larry, thanks a lot! Very Happy Will get it in the mail on Monday (hopefully tomorrow..).
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 10:45 am     which payment types

Steinar, maybe I missed it,but what types of payment can you take? I do not use Paypal. I do have a good friend from Narebo, Norway who could pay with Norsk kroner if you let me know the price. Your CD would be sent to the USA Takk, steve
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2009 4:38 pm    

Man, that tune Angel is awesome.

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2009 2:55 pm    

Steinar,
You just have to do it, one way or another you have to get it out.

James.