| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  David Lindley with Jackson Browne, 1975
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 12:47 pm    

Here's the song "Doctor My Eyes" from a radio show of Jackson Browne and David Lindley, live at the Main Point in Bryn Mawr, PA in 1975. I like how David Lindley stretches out his solo at the end of the song. It's a good example of his acoustic steel guitar playing as an accompanist to Jackson Browne.
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2009 2:50 am    

Great discovery, Brad - and I just LOVE the "Pipeline/Runaway" medley Very Happy Laughing
Andrea Tazzini

Massa, Italy
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2009 8:07 am    

thankissimo Brad! Very Happy
Dave Begalka

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2009 5:14 am    

Great stuff. Thanks much for posting this.
Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2009 5:33 am    

How cool is that?! Thanks, Brad.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos
Paul E. Miller

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2009 7:11 pm    

I gotta say, and I know it may not be popular here, but David Lindley is a musical genius. I'm not saying that I'm anything special, but I took lessons when I was a kid for years and only played in E major, I've also played acoustic and electric for 40 of my 52 years and I'm telling you that Mr. Dave is a bad ass.
I have better luck playing with the Jackson Browne stuff in C6. Is it just me or does the C6 tunning lend it's self toward blues leaning stuff. The older I get the more I discover that I just play blues.
Hows that for hijacking a thread? Sorry, its Friday night.
Marc Stone

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 12:55 pm    

Wow, great stuff, and what a treasure trove that site is. I'm about to check out the James Taylor/Joni Mitchell set from 1970. Used to have that and a number of the other shows on this site on tape. Thanks Brad!
Dennis Olearchik

Newtown, PA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2009 5:31 pm    

Wow, the Main Point! I forgot about that place and some of the great acts my friends and I saw and heard there. I still enjoy listening to the music of the late '60s and early '70s. There was just somehting special about the "music" being made in those years, at least for me Smile

p.s. Medley Music was just down the street from the Point. Altough it survived decades after the original Point closed, that's closed now too.
John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2009 5:34 am    

I remember listening to that broadcast as it happened. My musical background up to that time considered "lap guitar" to be a dead instrument. These performances awakened me to the potential directions open to explore.
Styles aside, the importance of hearing someone playing a different instrument in a new context is inspiring, as it was to me at that time.
The fact that at that time most Hawaiian guitars were yard sale bait and less money than a set of power tubes for a Fender amp it was easy to get hooked.
I still am.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2009 6:05 pm    

Musically, i grew up at the Main Point. When I was in High school I played on their stage for open mike on sundays (my first time playing anywhere) and saw not only Jackson Brown, but Dave Van Ronk, Jerry Jeff Walker, Leo Kottke, Rambling Jack Elliot, Steve Goodman, Chris Smither, Bonnie Rait, and so many other people there. What a great club that was and since it didn't serve alcohol, a place I and my friends could get into.
Mark Mansueto

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 6:16 am    

Thanks, Brad. Amazing considering that this is from 34 years ago. Could have been yesterday because to me Lindey's playing is timeless. This is one of those recordings that makes me want to go grab my weiss and (attempt to) play along Smile
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 6:32 am    

Brad - Nice find - Being the novice I am and checking out David Lindleys website and some youtube stuff of his acoustic lap playing just makes me want to practice even more - It's also good to know that not everyone feels as though you need to have unlimited effects and play a thousand notes in less than 10 seconds to make good music - Just my 2 notes worth - I'm just a little sad Crying or Very sad I han't "discovered" some of these guys when I was younger - DB
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2009 7:14 am    

WMMR in philly used to do this live broadcasts from the Main Point. I learned a lot of licks by recording the broadcasts and playing them back. I learned most of Chris Smither's tunes that way. I had a recording of a live Jackson Brown/David Lindley concert from the Main Point. It might have been this one, although I think it was from a year or so earlier. They played a couple night and I saw one and the next night they did the live broadcast. I remember Lindley doing a Blind Samurai imitation, which of course was useless on the radio. Wink