| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSGA Show - Any Cautions??
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 6:14 am    

I might attend the Conn. PSGA Show in November. Never been there.

Any advice? The post of the "Mellimium Hotel Screw Up" has me worried.

It seems that even with a confirmation number they can deny you a room.

Has anyone had similar problems in Conn.???
Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 8:22 am    

Joey, we have never had any problems with the Doubletree Hotel in Norwalk, CT. They have always gone out of their way to make our PSGA guests feel comfortable and welcome. If you need a recomendation contact your fellow Canadians, Bob Taillefer or Al Brisco, both of whom have stayed at the Doubletree while performing on our annual PSGA shows.

You should be warned that the Doubletree DOES NOT have a full service restaurant. They do have a sandwich shop that also serves breakfast, freshly baked products, and lots of good coffee. There are several moderately priced restaurants in Norwalk, CT within walking distance of the hotel and many more just a short drive away. Norwalk is, after all, a NY City bedroom community, so the services are far superior to what you'd expect in smaller cities.

I also had problems with the Millenium in St. Louis this year. I was able to straighten them out without too much of a problem and they were apologetic, however, the food and the service in the snack bar and restaurant were definitely sub-standard. It ain't Scotty's fault!
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 9:19 am    

Bob & Joey.....no problem with the food. Let
me know how many people are attending and I
will make sandwiches,,,ya like baloney? I have lots of that, ya like Mmmmm Ham and Cheese?? Im a ham and Im cheesy,.

Ya like "eggs"? I laid plenty when I was a player, Bob......find out how many people will attend and I will supply the food.

You can find me in the Lobby with my little
portable sandwich shop..ya like Hot Dogs??
I'll bring my dogs with me,,they are "hot stuff". One dog thinks the other is a female and they both do that "thing" they are both males and dont realize it.....or do they?..is there anything like "gay dogs"??

Ya like All Bran?? makes ya wanna "SHOUT SHOUT, SHOUT, SHOUT, da da da SHOUT SHOUT..and thats without the "HOT ITALIAN PEPPERS",,,,send me your order and I'll handle the whole deal.

No handing out towels in the mens room for me this year,,Im movin up in the world,...

Just ask for Joe,,The Hot Pepper Man....all
major credit cards accepted. Hot meals are optional,,,,flies no charge.just say the word and you GOT IT.......hurry my time is limited on here..operators are standing by & so is the man in the white jacket....makes ya
wanna SHOUT,,SHOUT,, SHOUT,,. those with no sense of humor,,I have sour pickles available
and "PRUNES" that will give you a whole new outlook on life.

Goodbye,,,Kosher meals available,,a Priest and Rabbi will be with me..maybe my Pastor if he's not doing his sermon,,he learned from me. SHOUT, SHOUT SHOUT,,Bob next time Im calling you collect,,
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 10:25 am    

No Joey, I've never had a problem of any kind at this show or hotel!
The big plus here is you can literally sit in the front row if you want and see these pro players up close and personal. It's a nice small size room and they usually have a projection screen showing a closeup video of the hands on the strings!
The down side is there's not a lot of vendor displays, so don't expect to see a whole lot.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 11:21 am    

The Double Tree {I've yet to see two trees)is a very comfortable hotel and I have always enjoyed my stay there.

As there is no restaurant on the premises (just an Au Bu Pan sanwich shop)there is no service problem.

There are some fast food and adaquete restaurants right outside of the Double Tree,but the town of Norwalk has several very nice restaurants with good food and atmosphere. I will post a restaurant review along with locations as we get closer to show time.

I don't know about Jody passing out towels in the men's room and then handing out sanwhiches....
Joey Ace

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 1:31 pm    

Jody, have you forgotton your medication?

Smaller shows have a charm of their own.
I've attended LT Zinn's Grand Rapids show for the last several years. I suspect the PSGA show is similar.

Yes Bob and Al had good things to say.
Then again, they (and I)had no trouble in St.Louis.

Thanks for the advice. More is welcome.
I hope to attend.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 1:51 pm    

Hey Joey, the Norwalk Ct area is my home town. The best Pizza in the world ( at least I think so ) is at the Italia resturant on Rt 7 in Norwalk, not far from where you will be. Norwalk is not a very large town and the highways offer good access . Also a great all day fast place is called Duchess, not far from Italia, two of our all time favorite places to eat. Go to Ct. great folks and great players alike . One of these times I may just pop on up there my darn self for the convention.
tp
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 2:05 pm    

What airport do you fly into to go to Norwalk?

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 2:29 pm    

Sorry I can't helpyou there b0b. But I'll tell you--I'm always a fence sitter when it comes to steel conventions--there are some aspects of the convention culture that sort of leave me lukewarm--but on the other hand I've never left one short of ecstatic so who knows....and I have some anti-social tendencies.....but my decision on this one would be seriously aided by knowing that you would be there--simply, you are high on my list of people whose hand I would like to shake. So I will be paying close heed to your choices. (And who am I kidding, I'll probably attend anyway).
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 2:37 pm    

bOb
You can fly into JC International,,my back yard and you can ride with me and my dogs,you
and I in front,,the pups in the rear,,should be a real "Gas".

I will also be in charge of "Housekeeping" If you need an extra sheet..I will get it for you,,I really give a "sheet".

I will have shampoo for people with hair and
polishing cloths for those without. Any preference??? Gibson or Fender.

Pizza is available too,,by Leos PIZZA..the well done pizza is called the Leo Sunburst with pepperoni,,,,the medium Leos "custom" is
light in color and called "blonde"

These Pizza's are easy to eat...they come with "telescoping legs" so you can eat at the
height or level you prefer. These are not available with tremolo,,but they do come packed in "tweed pizza" boxes. Some are two weeks old and they are reffered to as "Vintage" Pizza.

All in fun..the Pizzeria that Tony refers to is now owned by CBS,,It is not pre CBS Pizza.
But it is GREAT,,
Dutchess however is a great place and the burgers and fries are great...Tony,,I know everyone in Norwalk,,they call me Joey Banannas,,,spell???

Joey Ace,,,they "Upped" my medication and guess where. edited an updated "Menu" will follow.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 06 September 2002 at 08:25 PM.]

Marty Pollard

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 4:07 pm    

Oh no!
Suppositories?!?

You are one funny guy, Jody!!!
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 7:03 pm    

Yep Marty,
You guessed it,,and they are "flavored" as well,,, did I tell you about,,??? in a little while..Im telling myself a dirty joke and cant stop laughing...

My Doctor has 28 flavors like Howard Johnson.
and I have my choice. Leave off the chocolate
sprinkles Doc. You think Im funny? My wife
breaks up everytime we try to make love.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 06 September 2002 at 08:27 PM.]

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 7:23 pm    

Yeah, I have a caution:

Watch out for Martha Stewart!
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 7:31 pm    

Mark
Im not worried about Martha,she lives in Wilton Connecticut,,Im more concerned about
EMERILL Le GASSE,,,,when he "Kicks It Up a
Notch".

Keep your Notch covered. B A M.
Scott Camara

Connecticut
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 5:03 am    

Bob,

Bradley International is the only real airport in CT, and its up north in Hartford. I think your best bet would be to fly into JFK or Laguardia in NY.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 5:56 am    

bOb
goes to show ya,,there is at least one normal person on here..Thanks Scott,,,yes but
from the West Coast,,,bOb would have to fly into JFK. LaGuardia does not handle those big
Jets from out west. The runway does not accomodate jumbo jets from California.

Let someone know if,and when,,you are coming,
may be I can arrange one of the "good fella's
to meet you,,,,NO Im not kidding,,we are really all good fella's,,,,its just than some have a different sense of humor. Thats
better than NO HUMOR at all.

Having a good time,,,"wished you were here" edited for runway space.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 07 September 2002 at 07:42 AM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 6:18 am    

b0b, why not fly into Philly, then I'll pick you up and we can drive up there together? Think on it!
Jimbeaux
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 6:27 am    

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 07 September 2002 at 07:51 AM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 7:11 am    

One more thing I want to mention,,,,I promised a member I would post the best places to dine in Norwalk.

As I said before,,,try Leo's Pizza parlor..
you can try their "Linguine" its great..you
can customize your order...example...

For a light thin linguine,,order an .08 guage
dish,,you can mix whatever guage you wish.

I usually order the .10 guage and if I have a problem I call Bill Hankey and he brings that thing of his along.

Whatever you do,,,,dont order the .70 guage wound,,,it has after effects,,,,it gives you
that BOO WAH sound.

I doubt I will attend the show this year,,but
have a great time,,Bob Maickel and John DeMaille and Jeff DiMaio will make all of you
feel at home.....watch out for Howard R. He's the one with the camera.

I will no longer be on line as of this Wednesday,,,so until we meet again,,,,goodbye
and dont forget Leo's resturant,,,its the best bang for the buck.
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 7:11 am    

Here's another offer for b0b!
Fly into Providence (about 2:15 hours away)and you can ride up with me and see Providence at the same time!
Joey Ace

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 7:30 am    

Ok, I'll join in.
Fly to Toronto, b0b, and you can drive in with me.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 7:38 am    

I would say go with .011 Linguini..it may be a little more hearty than the 010.

I would think tht LaQuardia is the best bet airport, it's only a 45 minute drive.

TP
BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 8:13 am    

B0B.. If you decide not to hitch a ride with Jim I'd fly into Newark if I were you.
It's right on I95 which you would need to take North to Norwalk. Alot less traffic and you bypass NYC. My guess is 1/1.5 hr. drive to Norwalk (traffic permitting).

------------------
Bob Grado, Williams D10 (lefty), Peavey 1000,
Profex ll.

[This message was edited by BobG on 07 September 2002 at 09:14 AM.]

Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 9:35 am    

I can just picture the Carver hot dog cart in direct competition with the warm Chocolate Chip cookies (yummy) that Doubltree provides their guests upon check-in. Then again Howard has a point. Perhaps Jody might station himself between the men's room with the towels and the front desk. That we he can get 'em coming and going - check that - after they go.

Most airline passengers attending our PSGA show fly to La Guardia or JFK, since these airports have the most scheduled flights from everywhere) and then take the Connecticut Limo shuttle up to Norwalk, about an hour's ride depending on time of day.

A half dozen major airlines fly into Westchester County airport in White Plains, which is a 20 minute cab ride to the Hotel. Unfortunately there are no non-stop flights scheduled there. American, United, US Air, Delta and Northwest have regular skeds with several flights daily. American Eagle used to have service into Bridgeport ( 10 minutes to the hotel), but nothing direct.

Chuck Lettes is flying into JFK on a Jetblue red-eye from Denver. I hope he can stay awake for his set on Saturday, Nov. 9th.

It would be great if b0b attends. We shall certainly make him feel welcome.

Show details are at the PSGA web site: http://www.psga.org
Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 9:42 am    

Two years ago I played at Bob and Jeff's convention. The Double Tree Hotel is a very nice and confortable place. Debra and I had no booking problems and we had a great time. I look forward to playing Norwalk again this year. Regards Bob