| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  want to learn pedal steel and get info on the carter starter
Sidney Stover

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 7:31 am    

Mr.Franklin or someone on here I am wanting to start learning how to play pedal steel.For many years I enjoyed the sounds of these beautiful instruments.I have over the years played a little on my acccoustics and had a fender strat but,just basics nothing spectactular for sure.I never even touched a steel but,Due to many circumtances never got around to getting started.Many problems over the years.I had tip of my left index finger cut off back in the late 70's.This affected my learning regular guitar.I know chords but just never learned to play well.I considered pedal steel for this reason so i wouldn't have to chord with my fingers.It was so disappointing.I am 58 yrs old so don't know if I am too old now.Anyway,My wife wants me try to learn.I can't afford the big luxury models but,the carter steel guitar company has what they call a carter starter around $1200.00 but some music stores online has it for around $895.00.which they call a student steel guitar.It has 3 pedals and several levers.I don't know anything about steel but,I ahve a desire to learn.Do u think the carter starter is a good choice.I know it doe not have all the fancy stuff.I just wondered if anyone has had one or if this is junk.I want a decent guitar though I never will play professionly maybe in church thank u very much,Sidney
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 7:45 am    

Sidney, not sure where you got the $1200 price , the Carter Starter can be had new for around $800 and used in the $500 range. I believe a new Carter Starter is only available from a distributor.

You may want to check the FOR SALE section of this forum as members regularly list Steels for sale and Carter Starters are also commonly listed. The Carter Starter is a nice Steel for what it offers vs the price, you should not be afraid to purchase one to get started.

good luck

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Eldon Cangas

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 7:47 am    

Sidney,
Please don't ever let anyone know you're too old, I'm 59 and I usually side with the guys but this time you should listen to your wife. As far as what guitar - I can't advise you but there's a lot of folks here that can. They've been nothing but helpful to me. When you do get one be prepared for some exciting discoveries.
Warmest Regards,
Eldon
Chuck Snider R.I.P.

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 8:10 am    

Sidney, I began with a Carter Starter that I bought from Musiciansfriend.com as a scratch-n-dent at a very reduced price (around $700). I would suggest you consider getting a used guitar to save some dollars, and with the thought that you could likely get back what you have in it if you find it is not gonna work out.

The Carter Starter is very basic, but has everything a pro model has 3 pedals and 4 knee levers. There are a couple other brands you might want to consider. I have heard good things about the StageOne guitar, which sell for under $1000. Their website is http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com/. I have also heard good things about GFI Expo and GFI student models which you might want to check out on the GFI website. There are probably other entry level guitars that I'm not aware of.

You might want to follow the "For Sale" section on here as there are often Carter Starter, StageOne, and GFI Student and Expo guitars listed. If you can be patient and do that, you'll save yourself a few hundred bucks.

Be sure and ask loads of questions on here to get as much advice and information as possible before you make your buy. I wish I had known about this forum before I made my first purchase. It can be invaluable before buying anything having to do with steel guitars and amps!

At 58, you're not too old to start on this. I just started about a year ago at 55.

You also might want to see if anyone here lives near you that you could visit with to at least sit down at one (of any brand) to see what they're like.

Good luck!

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 8:10 am    

As Eldon said, you are never too old. I know of people who have not started playing steel guitar until they were well into their seventies. They may or may not have become proficient but I know for a fact that they have enjoyed the time they spend playing, and in the end that is about all we can ask for.
Buy the best quality guitar that you feel you can afford, get some good instruction material and move forward with a smile on your face. Best of luck to you, and welcome to the Steel Guitar Forum.
"Teach Your Children Well"
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 8:11 am    

Sidney,
You're young. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise!
I am 62 and have been playing on again off again(mostly off) for many years.

Don't be too concerned about the finger. Myself, I lost half of my left middle finger in '80. Like you, that was the end of any meaningful guitar playing. Good job I have the steel! The stubby finger is not too much of a hindrance.
Go for it my man! Stay close to your friends on the forum and you will do just fine.
Best wishes!
Bent
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 8:34 am    

Hi Sidney, You don't say where in Ohio you are at. If you do, I am sure someone from that area will help you out, and give you some sound advice. Where I live, you could never find a steel guitar in a music store, but folks do have them in their homes. Good luck, and the advice here on the forum is very helpful.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 9:06 am     thanks everyone

Just,wanted to take a moment and thank all you nice people.My gosh made me feel so welcome and just,ready to get going on that steel.i will check several sites that some of you referred me to.It will be several months but guys I did have to make a concession.My wife told me if I quit smoking she would get me the steel sooooo I know health is most important but,getting a steel would be a nice incentive as well.I am so looking forward to when i get one and I live in Columbus,Ohio area.I have never seen a pedal steel in music stores around here,Rare as hen's teeth haha,Thanks guys will be in touch.Appreciate your advice much Very Happy
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 9:10 am     steel's

Check With Bobbe Seymour At Steel guitar Nashville. (615-822-5555) He Has some good deals And a Fine Guy To Deal With. SONNY.
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 9:18 am     start steel with stage...one

Sidney, get a Stage One from Doug Earnst. You will have a steel of professional quality and not need to trade up. Don D.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 9:33 am    

There are a lot of dealers in Ohio selling the Carter Starter, including two in your area, Columbus. You should call them, see if they have one in stock, go there and check it out. Cool

More contact info: Click

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 2:11 pm     Re: want to learn pedal steel and get info on the carter sta

Quote:
carter starter around $1200.00 but some music stores online has it for around $895.00.which they call a student steel guitar.

For around that price range you could find a used MSA guitar. Keep checking on the forum.
I found an MSA Semi-Classic at a local steel guitar jam and I really like it a lot. It's a very reliable guitar, plays great and sounds great too, IMO.

Quote:
Do u think the carter starter is a good choice.
I know it doe not have all the fancy stuff.

I just recently sold a Carter Starter with a hardshell case and volume pedal for $500.
If you could find a deal similar to that, then the Carter Starter is a good choice. You won't be able to change your pedal set up, but it has what you need to learn the instrument. They sound good too, IMO.

Rick
Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 5:50 pm    

I started at 57 so don't let age stop you.

A Carter Starter will certainly get you going. I was lucky to borrow one for a couple of months, after which I decided I wanted a better guitar so I ordered a Stage One. The Stage One can last you a long time. I happened on a pro quality EMCI shortly thereafter and bought it because the Stage One was good enough to get me hooked.

I too would say to buy the best you can afford, but a Carter Starter is way better than no steel at all.
Rick Winfield

Pickin' beneath the Palmettos
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2009 1:06 am     Best you can afford

I would agree, that you should buy, "the best steel you can afford".
Unless you're "mechanically inclined", some of the older steels can require a lot of adjustments.
I had a lifetime of musical experience, but didn't "seriously" begin PSG until age 56, and haven't looked back !
All the starter models mentioned will get you "some money back", when you're ready to move up, but my experiences dictate the opening statement.
Good luck
Rick

PS: check out the "black Carter" , under instruments for sale
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2009 10:03 am    

Sidney,
don't woory about your age. I am 62 and started playing steel two years ago. I have at least gotten to the point where I am half way decent and have learned a lot of new songs in the process.
An old instructer of mine said something years ago to a guy who was 60 years old and wanting to finish his college. The Guy said " I would go ahead and do it except I will be 64 years old by the time I finish in four years.My friend said," How old will you be in four years if you don't do it"?

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2009 6:20 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/search.php?mode=results

Do a "Search" for the Carter Starter. It's probably one of the most written-about instruments on the Forum.

Then, once you've read all the advice, do yourself a favor and forget about the Carter Starter and buy a used professional instrument.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2009 7:49 pm    

Alan,GOOD ADVISE, YOU BETCHA, DYK?BC.

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2009 1:24 am    

Beats the HECK out of watching TV till your brain dies, that's for sure. Mr. Green The value of music is inestimable. And, it can't be guessed, either.
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2009 3:50 am    

here you go

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=168635&highlight=

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2009 4:40 am     psg

In my opinion, the CarpSteel by RAINS, is the best beginner model available. All pull changer, triple raise and triple lower. Even comes with a case. Several colors to choose from also. Checkout the CarpSteel videoes by Gary Carpenter. Matter of fact, I've just ordered a burgundy CarpSteel for myself. That's what I'll be playing at steel shows.
George Winter

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2009 4:43 am     Good Advise

Alan Brookes has given you great advise.

I am new to the forum.

I am 61 years old, started at 58 with a Carter Starter. I now have 2 GFI S10s and love them. I just play for fun (not very good).

I live in Plantation Fl, if any of you guys live close (Fortlauderdale area) I would be glad to talk to you in person, if you have the time. So far I have not met anyone here who plays.