| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  St. Louis,
R. L. Jones

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 6:51 am    

Well it`s over for now, I sure would like to here some of the "HIGHLIGHTS" .

anybody???/ R.L.
Leroy Riggs

Looney Tunes, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 3:09 pm    

Bud Issacs was there--what a fine man--and his wife is a heck of a yodeler!

Don Helms has a booth set up in the hallway and he to is a good man. He is really witty (at 75). He was talking at his booth and mention that he was in the Special Services at the end of WWII--I didn't know that.

Smiley was his usual comic self!

The crowd was about the biggest I've ever seen--wow!

The show seemed to switch back to country from jazz--not nearly as much jazz this year.

Lloyd Green mention that there were some changes going on in Nashville--he implied that the changes were going to take country back to country but I didn't get a clarification from him before I left. Maybe some Forumite has more details.

GREAT SHOW!!! (But many had problems with the hotel including me.)

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 3:22 pm    

Calhoun twins!
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 3:44 pm    

Yeah Earnest, what a pair!
Buddy Emmons....LLoyd Green...Feral Swing Katz...these are some of the things that did it for me.
It was also nice to see Pee Wee Whitewing receive his HOF award. A super nice gentleman.
Jim Cohen had a really enjoyable, listenable set too. Nice tone and choice of material.

R. L. Jones

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 6:52 pm    

Thanks Leroy for the post, Just read Larry Tresnicky`s post, Seems Mike A. found our friend Carrol Benoits booth wiht another picker and had a real jam going there. I`ll be seeing him soon, cant wait to hear him tell it . I`ll say one thing Mike A. you guys made one proud Luthier`s day.
Rl
Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 8:56 pm    

Quote:
Calhoun twins!

......I bunked on their bus! Don't ask me how or why, I just woke up there.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 9:02 pm    

Lloyd Green urged everyone to watch the Tennessean Newspaper on a daily basis. He inferred that BIG THINGS were about to happen and we shouldn't "miss it". Said we'd find it in the newspaper.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 9:20 pm    

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calhoun twins!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

......I bunked on their bus! Don't ask me how or why, I just woke up there.

How?

Why?
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 3:13 am    

R.L. For me the highlights started fri night with Buddy and ended Sun afternoon when it all ended. I will be posting some photo's maybe later today ( wed) and I have also recorded the entire weekend and I will be looking for a way to make some available for all of us to hear without legality issues. Maybe my Internet radio site at Live365.com, we'll see.
tp
Earl Yarbro

Bowie, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 5:58 am    

Joe Wright was awesum as usual, so were all the others.
Allen

Littleton, CO USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 8:38 am    

This was my first time at the ISGC. WOW!! I truly enjoyed all of the sets, but must say that the Lloyd Green/Don Helms set was my highlight. Hearing Buddy live for the first time was fantastic...He is all they say he is. The Feral Swing Katz + Felicity did an awsome job. The sideroom shows were also very good.
I'm sorry to hear that some folks had problems with the hotel. I did not, other than the very limited and poor food service. I won't get on the anti-smoking bandwagon, but it sure would be nice to not suffer with the smoke everywhere I went.
All things considered......It was a great show!!

------------------
Allen Harry
Emmons SD10, 3&4
Mullen D-10, 8 & 6
Nashville 1000

Leslie Ledford

Gastonia, NC, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 3:07 pm    

This was my first time attending. It was fabulous. I had seen Buddy Emmons live at Bellcove on July 9. I had never seen Lloyd Greene live, and he was outstanding. But Joe Wright - WOW!! I can't think of enough good things to say about him! His Wright-hand was Wright-on! My wife said, "WHO WAS THAT GUY?!" They all were just great - the best I have ever seen. It was the greatest show on earth. Thanks, Scotty!
Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 5:01 pm    

Friday evening was the "Big One" for me. What a power play demonstration of excellent steel playing. The "Big E" kicked it off (with all due respect to Russ Wever who handled the opening ceremonies) followed by Jernigan, Lloyd Green, Pee Wee Whitewing, Jeff Newman, John Hughey, Herby Wallace, Jerry Brightmann, Lynn Owsley and then the Feral Swing Katz. Watch out for the Swing Katz. They have the twin guitar stuff (lead & steel) down so tight that even WD 40 would not help! Boy are they good. Felicity was terrific.

I always estimate the number of people in attendance each year (this was my 27th) by how close they are standing in relation to the PSGA booth. It was wall to wall, and some folks' rear-ends were up against the front of our PSGA booth.

The musical level of steel proficiency was the highest ever. EVERYONE played good. From the talent search to the closing note.
Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2002 5:21 pm    

Friday evening was the "Big One" for me. What a power play demonstration of excellent steel playing. The "Big E" kicked it off (with all due respect to Russ Wever who handled the opening ceremonies) followed by Jernigan, Lloyd Green, Pee Wee Whitewing, Jeff Newman, John Hughey, Herby Wallace, Jerry Brightmann, Lynn Owsley and then the Feral Swing Katz. Watch out for the Swing Katz. They have the twin guitar stuff (lead & steel) down so tight that even WD 40 would not help! Boy are they good. Felicity was terrific.

I always estimate the number of people in attendance each year (this was my 27th) by how close they are standing in relation to the PSGA booth. It was wall to wall, and some folks' rear-ends were up against the front of our PSGA booth.

The musical level of steel proficiency was the highest ever. EVERYONE played good. From the talent search to the closing note.
R. L. Jones

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 3:54 am    

Thanks all ; I got out of hospital yesterday, good as new ; well good as old, Anyway the old heart flutters is gone . Wish I could of been there, I`ve enjoyed all the accounts good or not so good. I`msure the music and Camaradrie made up for the shortfalls. Good music is good for the soul,people meeting people is what makes love for one another .

R.L.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 4:50 am    

I went to "Steel Heaven" and I saw GOD on Saturday night. Ralph Mooney put on a great performance with all his great licks still intact after all these years. He's got to be the coolest player of all time. Mr. Westcoast to say the least. I had the chance to talk with him some in the hall and in the GFI room and I hadn't seen him since 1968 or so but he hadn't changed a bit. Still had a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other and a smile on his face. I love ol' Ralph and he'll always be my favorite. He's the one who got me started on steel by playing something exciting and different than what was coming out of Nashville and he's still playing the same stuff today and it continues to sound fresh and new. He didn't play any instrumentals and had some singers with him but to me his solos on these songs are instrumentals in their own right.
Also I was pleased to hear John Hughey do "Lost in the Feeling". That's a steel guitar masterpiece if there ever was one. His touch, tone, and approach to the steel is unrivaled. He's got to be the top ballad man around on E9th. When he gets up there past the fretboard and plays it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up. This man has flawless intonation.
Mr. Hoedown the great Doug Jernigan gave his usual outstanding performance. We saw him outside in the hall and I introduced him to a fiddle player friend of mine as the guy who could play fiddle tunes faster than a fiddle player could. He said that the band had gotten OBS a little faster than he liked but I couldn't tell it. He really nailed the thing.
The opening act on Friday night was the big E. He never ceases to amaze me year after year. I see a lot of people (me included) sitting there with there mouths open in awe. This guy just has to be total perfection on the steel guitar. He has literally and totally mastered both necks and has never played anything I didn't like. I'm not a jazz fan but when Buddy plays it for some reason I like it!
I caught Herb Steiner's set as stated in another post and hadn't heard him in many years. He did a wonderful job and I'm hoping to hear him again sometime. I'm sure I'll be buying a CD or two of his.
The last show I caught (also mentioned on another post) was ol' Smiley Roberts. I'd never heard him before and he played great and had one Helluva personality on stage. I especially liked his version of "Tammy" from the movie. A real proficient and professional player who I'd go back to see in a heartbeat!!!

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 5:07 am    

WOW!! What can I say Jerry,except, "THANX"! (sorry,that's as big as I could get it. )

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
www.ntsga.com

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 7:54 am    

This past convention was great. Debra and I had a great time. With the return of the
Big E, everybody rose to the occasion. A memorable event. Regards Bob