| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Real Beginner's Copedent
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 7:25 am    

Sometimes I think that the E9th is just way too complex for kids and other beginners. It seems to me that the basic pedal steel concepts could be taught with a simple C major 6-string copedent:
Tab:
    LKL LKR  P1  P2  P3  RKL
E                +F
C   +C#             ++D  -B
G           ++A     ++A
E       --D      +F             
C   +C#                  -B           
G           ++A

I also think that you wouldn't need special "steel guitar" strings for this. A medium gauge guitar set would work fine.

What do you think?

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 7:48 am    

I'm inclined to agree. I started out with a 8-string (4+1) major tuning (with chromatics), and I had a ball! Smile

You can do so much with so little if you just stop following the crowd. But today, it seems, many players would stutter if they had no full-tone lower on 6, and no full-tone raise on 1. I have both on my new steel, but rarely use either of them.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 8:13 am    

Music theory is so much easier to learn from the key of C. Also, this tuning is the same notes as a C chord on the guitar, so someone could tune it by ear just by asking their guitar-playing buddy for a C chord.

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 10:14 am    

bob, I only see one problem. The beginner gets out of the beginner stage he'll have to buy a E9 PSG and begin all over again.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 10:24 am    

Not really, Stuart. It is the same as E9th, but pitched lower. Everything you learn on this tuning can be applied directly to E9th. Besides, nobody has to play E9th. Learning the note names of positions in C will make standard C6th easier to learn, too.

A lot of people start on C6th lap steel before getting an E9th pedal steel. This would make that transition easier.

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 11:34 am    

I see your point, but I think it's a better idea for beginners to just start out on lap steel, and then transition to E9th or C6th pedal steel from there. They'll have to learn bar control and proper picking and technique anyway, so why not just learn it on a lap steel and add the pedals later? Isn't that what most of us did?

Also, beginners shouldn't spend their money on an instrument that they'll play for a year, and will be hard to sell.

And most beginners already have some experience on regular guitar, so they'd be most familiar with the positions in E, rather than in C, even though C is easier for theory.

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 11:36 am    

What if it sold for under $500? Winking
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 11:39 am    

I agree b0b. I might suggest open E tuning, just for the sake of transitioning to E9, but I think 6 with a simple set up would be great!
Ryan Barwin

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 11:39 am    

If it could be sold that cheap, then it would be a good idea.

But I'd change the copedent a bit....put it in E, and maybe put a 9th on top instead of the 5th at the bottom...seems necessary for melody stuff...

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 12:20 pm     Re: A Real Beginner's Copedent

b0b wrote:
Sometimes I think that the E9th is just way too complex for kids and other beginners. It seems to me that the basic pedal steel concepts could be taught with a simple C major 6-string copedent:
Tab:
    LKL LKR  P1  P2  P3  RKL
E                +F
C   +C#             ++D  -B
G           ++A     ++A
E       --D      +F             
C   +C#                  -B           
G           ++A

I also think that you wouldn't need special "steel guitar" strings for this. A medium gauge guitar set would work fine.

What do you think?

I am not a kid but somewhat of a beginner. I've played guitar for 40+ years and mainly bluegrass or acoustic for most of that time. After getting into Gypsy Jazz a few years back I began working on some jazz standards. That led to the lap steel and now pedal steel for the last year or two. I like like old school country but don't have a desire to learn it right now. So what did I do? Bought a used E9 and re-rodded and set it up for C6. Here is the copedant I've been working with.You could use strings 2-7 for a 6 string beginner to learn on and still transition later to something else and not have a lot of differences. Of course I could be way off base.<G> YMMV

https://howdy.doit.wisc.edu/c6-copedent.html
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 12:38 pm    

That's a lot like this one, Rusty:
http://www.pedalcaster.com/copedents/C6th.html

The Great White North
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 12:41 pm    

I love the idea B0B; however, if I were to teach a beginner to play a steel guitar, I would be more apt to get the newbie to first find the basic chords patterns with bar slants. I have found out that it's much easier to go from using bar slants to pedals than it is to drop the pedals and use only bar slants.

As of late, a friend of mine has been bringing his MSA over to my place and we switch back and forth between my Remington D10 and his MSA D10 (5-4)). He is lost without the pedals where I am finding it an easy transition from bar slants to pedals; using C6 of course.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 2:56 pm    

Well,,, I can only tell about my own experience starting out. I couldn't get the tuning. I'd played guitar and ojnab for 15 years. Always finger-picking, so the right had was no problem. But the tuning made no sense to me. Finally took a lesson. Told Kenny about my problems with the tuning. He handed me a Tele, and told me to barre at the 4th fret and play a C shape chord. He asked if I knew what chord it was and I said, "E." He told me to forget about the first two strings for a while, and that the E chord I was playing on 6-string was pretty much how a steel was tuned. Then he showed me what the pedals did, and had me play those chords on the Tele. Lightbulbs went off, and I was giggin' in 4 weeks. I think his approach was perfect for a pupil with good 6-string skills.
Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 4:00 pm    

B0B!..i think Eddy Fulawka has made and sold a few 6 strings pedal steel:) but i'm not sure what was the tuning Oh Well, i'll see if i can find something more about it. Smile

Click the links to listen to my Comeau's Pedal Steel Guitars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIYiaomZx3Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2GhZTN_yXI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvDTw2zNriI
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2009 4:13 pm    

As long as the major chord is there, its a simple matter of fret translation.
I learned on a 6 string in open A. It helped that the same tuning appears on 10-8-6-5-4-3 with A & B pedals down (mashed). Made learning E chord positions easier too.

JMHO
Brian Pelky

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2009 8:25 am    

Neat idea. Would make it easier to understand what is going on theoretically for the beginner. However, I can see that it would make it awkward on the right hand technique when strings 7 and 9 get thrown in the mix on the 10 string. So what about making it an 8 string and have dummy strings on 5 and 7? Of course, if one was going to go to that trouble it could be a 10 string with 4 dummy strings and just retune it to C for a while.

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2009 11:21 am     learning the triks on a six

B0b, I love your idea. If it is possible to manufacture and sell for under 500.00 this could help many a curious picker to take that next step. Very Happy Don D.
John Polstra

Lopez Island, WA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2009 3:57 pm    

B0b, I think most pedal steel players will be coming from playing 6-string guitar and/or bass guitar. For that reason I think it would be less confusing to use an E major tuning, so that at least the no-pedals chords will be found in the usual places on the fretboard.

John
Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2009 6:26 pm    

This information was taking from Fulawka Steel Guitars Website: Smile

These are pictures of a 6 string pedal guitar. While it looks like a steel, it is not. It is tuned the same as a regular guitar, but has 6 floor pedals and 5 knee levers. This makes it possible to play 5 notes on any string at any fret, depending on the pedals/levers used. There have only been two of these made.

Smile

jeff reynolds

Jackson, Ms.
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2009 10:21 am     e9 / beginner / kids..

AWw shoot guys come on.... E9 aint that hard. I might not know all the great licks But it doesn't take much knowledge to use your ears and know what strings/ notes TO NOT Play !

LOL !
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2009 11:30 am     psg

6 string Rickenbacker tuned to C6th was my first taste of learning at age 11 or 12, I think. Then the Emmons p/p at 14. That was about 75 guitars ago or so! It was Byrd, Wiggins and Helms first. Then came Hughey, Green, Emmons and so many others.
Joe Kaufman

Lewiston, Idaho
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2009 1:19 pm    

I think that is a great idea Bob. I don't see any reason why after a person gets a grasp of the theory, that they couldn't restring up to lo-to-hi BEG#BEG# and just retune the pedals!

I think for the purposes of cheap entry to pedal steel, a pull/release set up with a stripped down version like this might be made very cheaply.
Tab:
Tab:
    LKL LKR  P1  P2  P3
G#               +A
E   +F              ++F# 
B           ++C#    ++C#
G#               +A             
E       -D#             
B           ++C#
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 10:42 am    

Interesting. I printed this up so I can give it further thought.
Eddie D.Bollinger

Calhoun City, Mississippi
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 11:20 am    

bOb, Do you have a specific steel in mind for this copedant? Or steel builder?

Knowing my own limitations and lack of ability,
I think a 6 string would be a great second, or maybe
a "church" guitar. Lightweight / quick to setup.

Pat, do you know any price ranges on the Fulawka 6 string? Fulawka's are great instruments from what I have seen at St. Louis.
Pat Comeau

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2009 11:34 am    

Eddie,

I don't know the prices he sold them for but i know Mr Fulawka told me once that a guy here in St-John New-Brunswick bought one of his 6 strings steel.

I don't think you can make a steel like that for 500$, even if it has only 6 strings it doesn't make it easyer to make the only different would be 4 fingers and 4 keys less and i think the cost would probably be almost the same as a regular 10 strings, i guess it all depends on the quality of the material use to build it.

just my opinion.............Pat Smile Oh Well