| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Theres Hope!
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2009 6:26 pm    

Every day, I am answering questions from players around the world. Recently there have been numerous questions from younger players referencing some really classic material from as far back as the 60's...Most of these are addressing the basic runs that we have all learned from Buddy, Lloyd, and especially Tom Brumley, numerous other notable players as well...And this stuff is not only educating me...Its keeping me on my toes!!!...The steel guitar is still a dominant force in country music, and is making an impression on younger and younger people..Pay it Forward!...Mick in Dallas!!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
David Collins

Madison, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2009 5:52 am    

Mickey,

Thank you so much for all that you are doing to promote Steel Guitar. I've learned a ton from your videos, and have at least 10 more tons to go!

I hope that someday I'll be able to, and have the opportunity to "Pay It Forward"

David
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2009 6:22 am    

Good to have somewhere to refer to when people ask about this and that. So, please, keep those videos coming.
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2009 10:20 am    

That's good to hear Mickey. Actually I've noticed a heightened interest in pedal steel in my home province of Quebec as well. While it can't be described as spreading like wildfire pedal steel is nonetheless showing up more often in non-country recordings. Quebec has long had a modest country music scene which seems to be gaining more widespread acceptance now as peformers straddle pop/country and thus appeal to a younger audience. The music of Daniel Lanois is very popular here and of course he is a well known devotee of pedal steel. Also, Patrick Norman, who has been one of Quebec's most popular singers for 30+ years has been touring with the amazing steeler (multi-instrumentalist), Jean Guy Grenier for a number of years. It is a two man show which really puts pedal steel in the spotlight and has done much to raise awareness of the instrument in french speaking Canada. In my remote corner of the province I've been the only steel player within a few hundred miles for twenty years. Now there is a second one and I know of several other six string players who are interested in learning and would have a steel guitar except for the start-up cost. But they'll find way I'm sure.
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2009 12:16 pm    

Mickey, let me add my sincerest compliments with all the others in thanking you for all you do to promote steel guitar. You're awesome. Very Happy

I see that your avatar says you're in Grand Prairie. I'm in Arlington ... practically neighbors. Will you be playing anywhere locally soon? Would love to come and hear you play sometime.

Thanks ... Jim
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)