| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel allowed in Guitar Center competition!
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2009 3:27 pm    

I've always thought of pedal steel as the ultimate blues guitar, and now the folks at Guitar Center are giving us a chance to prove it. Their King of the Blues competition puts steel on an equal footing with Strats and Telecasters:
Quote:
Each contestant will perform live to 1 of 25 original backing tracks, developed by Grammy Award winning producer, Pete Anderson. All backing tracks available for free download at guitarcenter.com/kingoftheblues. Contestants may bring and use 6, 7, or 12 string acoustic or electric guitar, lap steel or pedal steel guitar, any audio pedal effects that can be set-up in 5 minutes all, white will be plugged into a selection of amplifiers, provided by Guitar Center.

Hmm - no 10 string guitars? I think they should clarify that!!

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/kingoftheblues/

I also couldn't help but notice that there are 25 excellent blues rhythm tracks there available for free download! Very Happy

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2009 4:12 pm    

The tracks are very nice.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2009 4:32 pm     Re: Steel allowed in Guitar Center competition!

b0b wrote:
...white will be plugged into a selection of amplifiers, provided by Guitar Center.

Well, I guess that's all white with me... Question
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2009 6:31 pm     Tracks

I reviewed these tracks as well...If Im not mistaken they were composed by Pete Anderson (Producer, Guitarist, Previously disclosed) I downloaded them and constructed 13 tracks of PSG overdubs for the competition on my recording computer..Now if I could just find the time to
make a competition..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2009 7:02 pm    

Park that plane for a while and do something thats really important. Or not.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2009 7:18 pm    

I have a good friend that entered that at the local Guitar Center - he was great and the only one that could finish a song. The winner was a friend of a friend so I doubt that a steel would have a chance unless it is a brother-in-law or son-in-law deal.

It was very very rigged in the Goodyear, AZ store
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2009 9:12 pm    

I'd love to see one of the young sacred steel players clean up with this competition.
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2009 10:00 pm    

I judged the Guitarmageddon contest that was the forerunner to this. Surprisingly, it was not the shred-fest even the store managers feared. There were a few Satriani wannabees, a few "look at me ma!" types that should have watched and not played - but for the most part the winners in the Lawndale Store and most other socal stores (including the regional) were far more unusual, creative guitarists with very unique styles (except for one night when a supposedly-16 year old metalhead with platform shoes showed and somehow I was the only one of the regular judges there that night - that one was fishy).

But pedal steel or lapsteel were allowed. Nonce were used in the contests I judged but I heard there were a few. Backing tracks ranged from acoustic/mellow to Chicago blues to country to shred, so anything could go, really.

The biggest problem for steelers is setup and amplification - if you take your guitar in the case, you won't make it unless you are REALLY fast( so bring it assembled in the back of an SUV and make sure it's tuned before you hit the stage - you have 5 minutes unless they changed the rules), there's no sound check, and you choose one of the amps on stage - no exceptions (which really would not be an issue unless someone went catatonic at not being able to use a 250 watt Peavey) I'm not sure what the selections will be this time, but in the past there was a Marshall half-stack, a Line 6, a higher-end Crate (if there is such a thing) and a Twin Reissue.

It's a lot of fun and IMO a stel would have gone over well at Guitarmageddon - even more so at the Blues contest.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2009 1:38 am    

The tracks are OK, for my taste they are just way too busy with guitar on them ! I had considered dragging the 6 string out just for the fun of the "whole deal" but I couldn't actually find a track that had room to play on it.

I say if you play over a track and are expected to play your best stuff, it's a rhythm track with lots of space. PA's tracks are good but you have to play in between the lines that he left for you and his guitar is not actually in the background..

The winner from last year played on an Acoustic, he's on YouTube somewhere, he's really good, very talented. Different, not a screaming mad fretboard tapping over-driven AC-100 volume player...

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 17 Sep 2009 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2009 6:54 am    

Maybe someone could alert Bill Hankey.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2009 7:34 am    

Tony P.,

When you play in a real blues band, the other guys are playing figures constantly. It's not like a country band where we're all expected to stay out of each others way. Blues is typically a lot busier than country.

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2009 7:40 am    

Hi Bob, yes I know , I may have been a bit hasty, the tracks are good, don't get me wrong, maybe i was looking for something else. It just seemed the rhythm guitars were pretty loud in the mix for my taste. It doesn't much matter, I didn't enter and I certainly was not going to win !

In our own band , even on our Blues tunes, it is important that we not step on whoever is soloing , both in notes and level. But I agree that thee is some sort of vamp going on.

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2009 8:25 am    

Does "Someone Committed Murder Down On Music Row" qualify as Blues?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2009 8:49 am    

Uh, no. Sorry.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2009 9:01 am    

Darn.
Marc Mercer

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2009 12:39 pm    

Well, heck - I noticed this little stipulation in the DETAILS section: "WIRELESS SYSTEMS, BASS GUITARS, LOOPING EFFECTS, AND POWER AMPS ARE NOT PERMITTED AT ANY LEVEL OF THE COMPETITION."

I WAS going to drop their jaws with my newly-developed "Looped Blues Bass" technique, but if they're gonna be all discriminating-like...

Forget 'em!!
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2009 2:21 pm    

Jim S., I was also a judge several years ago at the Cleveland East Side Guitar Center. The manager was buggin' me to enter, but when I heard the tracks, I realized there weren't any that would let me play my style. When I demurred, he said, "If ya ain't playin', You're judging!" I had a great time. met some nice guys I never would have had any contact with, and was surprised at the level of musicianship on display.