| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String drag
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 8:56 am    

I'm having a sudden problem with string drag that has kind of stumped me - this may be a very dumb question...

I've pretty much always used SIT stainless strings with a 1" stainless tone bar - I know some folks recommend against stainless on stainless but I've never had any problems with string drag.

But now - after downsizing the a 7/8" bar (Dunlop and John Pearse, I use both) - I'm noticing lots of drag. Can really feel it, and hear it.

Maybe it's just technique - readjusting to the right pressure for a smaller bar, etc. - but I'm wondering: can any mechanical problems contribute to string drag? Problems with rollers, changer fingers, keyhead tuners even? Can a "bad" set of strings cause more drag?
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 9:10 am    

Hi, Travis. If you're using the same strings but new bars, I'm guessing it's the new bars.

Does your old 1" bar also feel drag on the current set of strings?

If the old bar has less drag, the next question would be are you sure that bar was really stainless -- maybe it's chrome. If it is stainless and doesn't drag as much, I'm liking your theory of your putting more downward pressure on the lighter bars. You could test that by consciously pressing down as lightly as possible to see if that drag is reduced.

Or as you suggested, it could be the current set of strings. If they've recently been put on, maybe they haven't worn down much (fresh strings will have a tad more string noise than ones that have been played on a while).
Travis Bubenik

Marfa, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 10:20 am    

Come to think of it, the strings are pretty fresh, I hadn't even though of that, duh! Perhaps just a combo of different bar, new strings, need some time adjusting to both...
Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 11:03 am    

I use a stainless 7/8th bar on stainless strings. Hardly any difference than with my zirconia bar
Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2024 1:24 pm    

I once tried a Stainless Bullet bar on Stainless strings.

Didn't take me but about 5 minutes to give that bar away.

The drag was horrible.

To me there is nothing slicker than a high quality plated bar, such as the BJS. Virtually no drag and tone to the bone.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.