| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NTSGA video?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 17 May 2002 6:08 pm    

I realise that, primarily, Buddy and Hal would have to be comfortable with the idea, but what is the possibility of a video being produced of this upcoming 'Event', and being made available?

I'm not sure where this question should be directed, so I'm taking the liberty of posting here - is there any doubt that it would be, in steel guitar terms at least, a most welcome venture?

Tommy and Lloyd's tape has almost become a 'standard', and a 'Buddy Emmons' video has been long-awaited - with two great musicians like BE and Hal Rugg, the potential is enormous, and it would be a shame if their efforts simply vanished into the ether, as it were.

Just an idle thought.....

------------------
Roger Rettig
Emmons LGIII(D10), MCI D10 and Fender Stringmaster (triple-8)

Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 4:24 am    

Roger I agree:I wonder though the problems with payment to the players etc.I certainly would buy a copy,but again I wonder if the problems here are the same as in the past.Possibly problems with their musicians union agreement etc. Richard
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 5:22 am    

Yes, Richard, possibly, 'though Lloyd and Tommy obviously found a way round it, presumably compensating the guys in the rhythm section to their satisfaction.

The NTSGA event could be a source for a series of 'Master Sessions' videos, with a pleasing location and a knowledgable audience.

I think it's a good opportunity going to waste; 'though I admit I have no notion of the logistics of such a scheme....

------------------
Roger Rettig
Emmons LGIII(8+6), MCI (8+4) and Fender Stringmaster (0+0)

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 11:49 am    

Quote:
Though I admit I have no notion of the logistics of such a scheme....

I don't think this is a doable thing..... Some of these folks make their livin' with this. If you were in a Real Estate, would you sell a house without a commission.

Let's not attempt to open a can of worms here and loose the wealth of talent we so much enjoy !!

Lets leave this option open to the players and if they wish to do a video of their performance, I'm sure it will be of the same quality of "Eveing of E9th".

Just my 2cents

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 24 May 2002 at 12:52 PM.]

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2002 2:24 pm    

Quote:
Possibly problems with their musicians union agreement etc.
Just ask Harold Bradley to play guitar
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 3:32 pm    

Bill,

I wouldn't dream of suggesting that any profit should go anywhere else but to the musicians involved; I thought that would have been implicit in my original post....

------------------
Roger Rettig

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 7:51 am    

Roger....

I really feel this idea is a Player/s option.
If the player (especially if he/she is a Professional,and earns their livin' with the music) wishes to have a video made of the performance,that is his/her option. Our club (NTSGA) would not think of attempting to record a "SuperJam" set without approval of the players, either if they be Pros or whatever.

Generally, The players that want to record a "set" will let the club know in advance of their intentions. There is a number of things to be considered here. The back-up band members,etc,etc,issues must be settled as well as the audience perticipation,and such.

This is NOT a clear cut issue for just anyone that wants to tape a session of a performance with his/her camcorder. (I might insert here that all still photos,so far,is permissable,as long as they are NOT used for commerical use.)

I am sure you would not wish for others to take advantage of your expertise and profit from your work without some kind of understanding.

We,(NTSGA)just like Scotty's (ISGA), feel that video-tapeing,is not a matter that we can do and keep the players trust and williness to participate in.

We value our members and will NOT do anything they feel that upsurpses their needs or williness to be a member of our community.

All thoughts here are only mine,and I must admit,I posted this message from my heart and the way I,personally feel.

Us,players,(read this as semi-pro players), often do not have a beef here as we often want the maximun exporsure here but we must keep in mind that others depend upon sales and shows to mantain our families and homes.

Again, Roger, I must amit this is NOT an easy issue to discuss.

To everyone:
I posted this message without clearing it with my Club,(NTSGA). I only stated my personally thoughts in this matter as I feel that others,sometimes,often think any performance by any player should be public domain.

If I have offended anyone with my post, I appolize,but please bare in mind,I understand the problems of haveing one's work used without compansation.

[This message was edited by Bill Crook on 06 June 2002 at 08:52 AM.]

Skip Mertz

N.C. (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 2:26 pm    

How many other great artist must we lose to sickness and death before someone realizes this is like a national treasure that needs to be prserved for future generations! video is a very good way for these players to get even more exposure and very probably increase thier exposure and standing in the music industry. IMHO my 3 cents Skip
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 2:05 pm    

It sounds as though I haven't made my point very clearly.

It may not have occurred to Hal and Buddy to make a video of their 'jam', so I simply wanted to make the suggestion. OF COURSE it has to be done with their total approval, and with the mutual consent of ALL the musicians involved. I'm as staunch an advocate of musicians' rights as anyone, and I, too, have suffered from exploitation in the past - it's also perfectly clear to me that the officers of the NTSGA, most of them being pro players, would never seek to take advantage of the 'Jam' performers in any way. I'm afraid I don't see how my initial 'post' gave any other impression.

I just feel that this is a rare opportunity to preserve the work of these masters; as far as I'm concerned, there can't be enough of the great players' works saved for future generations of afficionados.

(It's partly selfish, I admit - I'm currently 'exiled' to North Dakota on a gig, so I'll miss the Big Night....)

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

------------------
Roger Rettig

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2002 2:19 pm    

Roger, I'm with you. I think they should go ahead and video tape it and have Buddy and Hal decide afterwards whether to release it.
Richard Plummer

nashville tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2002 4:43 am    

I agree with you,lets pay them and buy the video.