| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd's VoluTone: Schematic??
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 6:43 am    

I am toying of having one of my prewar Rickenbacher amps cloned, but with a second power stage in order to be able to switch to double the volume. I plan to have it built as a head with a speaker jack, so to be able to use several speaker cabinets.

Anyways, it just occurred to me that it may be just as interesting to clone Jerry Byrd's famous VoluTone amp, the one with the "JB" in the speaker grille.

I understand that amp is or at least was at some time displayed at the CM-hall of fame. Has anybody ever gained access to it so to be able to make a schematic of it and make it available?

... J-D.
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 11:17 am    

This might help you out - http://prewaramps.org/volutonemod.htm
You'll find more VT on this site, but I'm having trouble getting the links up.

I'll be interested in hearing your updates on this cool project, as I need a whole guts replacement for my totally fried looker, and will cost at least $500 to get back to spec.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 12:51 pm    

Moved to Electronics from Steel Without Pedals.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 1:52 pm     MY Volu-Tone looks just like Jerry's...................

My completely restored Volu-Tone amp..........

looks just like Jerry Byrd's that's in the Hall of Fame.

A great little amp. So proud to be lucky enough to have one. It was only $122.00 on eBay, plus $500.00 for the restoration.

RON......thanks for the referral to that site! Nice of you for sharing.

I thought I'd mention this: Dan Healy is the fellow that restored my Volu-Tone. He's located in the San Francisco area and can be reached thro' his site: healy@classicradio.com

I was extremely impressed by this man's attitude toward restoration. He refused to use any quick fix and insisted that only REAL FACTORY ORIGINAL type of items be used, as required. He has a small warehouse full of original tubes and other complicated looking little yellow and orange thingies with wires coming out both ends, etc. His shelves are lined with old radio books and mauals much a layers office is with law books. I later learned he had been with the Rolling Stones for a decade as their sound engineer. A very nice person.......and totally up front.
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 5:47 am    

Thanks to all for your participation.
I will keep all informed of what I decide to do but it's not going to happen in the next days or weeks.
The way I want it done, is to clone the circuitry but adding a second power amp section which can be switch on and off. In other words, one could get double the volume. I think this is a necessary concept as the "tone" of these amps is partially set by how the power amp is driven. Most of these amps had NO controls at all, they were hard wired to their sweet spot. They have ideal volume and drive for playing at home or in small groups, but then lack some "umpf" when taken out.

Cool link there Ron! I will have the schematics compared to the Rickenbacher amps by my technician.

Ray, is the amp on Ron's link the same you have. Back in those days, lets not forget these were the pioneer days of musical instrument amp building, amps changed quickly as builders experimented and progressed. Many, and JB himself have mentioned that his VoluTune was "it". You Ray, rate yours as "it's a great little amp"... not quite the same statement or are you just too humble to brag? Very Happy

Thanks! ... J-D.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 8:07 am     Good Day "JD"......................

I'm well aware that many Forumites consider their HI-Horsepower, dual 15 inch JBL, solid state amps that are loaded down with reverb, compressor, flangers, etc. to be the ultimate in steel guitar playing.....

thus, my little Volu-Tone amp, (now nearly 80 years old), with its tiny little speaker...by comparison, is a non-entity.

It's not much of a looker, as can be verified on my YOU TUBE posts, but it has a very special and unique sound, with a range from hi's to low's that is really astounding. It is a very special amp, one with a dry output (no reverb!), one I feel so lucky to have acquired for only $120.00 off of eBay

In my book, it's a very BIG AMP and extremely important to my playing. It will not, of course,
fill up a baseball stadium or rodeo grounds with huge musical sounds, since it has only about 15 watts max. output. (But, it CAN BE MIKED!)

While in Texas last March, "SCOTTY", a long-time JERRY BYRD fan, exclaimed that he's spent a lifetime attempting to find and thus capture "THAT TONE". He told my wife (most surely in jest!) that he'd trade me Jerry Byrd's Sho-Bud for 'that amp'!
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2009 3:06 pm    

I am glad to hear you are a happy, an may I add, a lucky man too, Ray.

Thanks for sharing! ... J-D.