| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Adobe Acrobat and Reader updated, fixing vulnerabilities
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 11:46 am    

Adobe has just updated their pdf reader and Acrobat encoder to version 9.1.3, fixing critical vulnerabilities that are being exploited to take complete control of successfully attacked PCs. I wrote about this matter in this topic, on this forum, and in a vulnerability alert article, on my blog.

If you have any version of Adobe Reader or Acrobat installed please use the built-in "Help" menubar item to "Check for updates." The Adobe downloader will inform you about any available patches or language packs and will install them when you click Install Now. Reader will need to be closed to complete the updates.

You can also run the Secunia Online Software Inspector and it will let you know what software on your PC needs to be updated, providing download links for those programs.

Note: I consider these updates to be mandatory, as is the Flash Player update released on July 31, 2009. They are both tied to the same exploits.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Last edited by Wiz Feinberg on 3 Aug 2009 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phil Halton

Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 2:20 pm     Re: Adobe Acrobat and Reader updated, fixing vulnerabilities

I'm using Adobe reader version 7.0.9 here, and just ran "check for updates" from the help menu. I got the message "no updates available".

Is this because I'm using version 7x and not the latest version 9x? Am I vulnerable with version 7.0.9?
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2009 10:12 pm     Re: Adobe Acrobat and Reader updated, fixing vulnerabilities

Phil Halton wrote:
I'm using Adobe reader version 7.0.9 here, and just ran "check for updates" from the help menu. I got the message "no updates available".

Is this because I'm using version 7x and not the latest version 9x? Am I vulnerable with version 7.0.9?

Yes, that version has been exploited for a couple of years and is no longer supported by Adobe. Please visit Adobe.com, click on the get Adobe Reader button, select your OS and download the latest version. Uninstall your old, vulnerable version 7.x, reboot, then install 9.1.3.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 10:52 am    

Wiz,

I can't seem to find the real 'free' download site for AR9.1.

One wants you to sign up and register for a free trial period. And even CNET doesn't seem to have a 'free' download, anymore.

All this Adobe stuff used to be free.

And what about Adobe Shockwave Player 11?

How come the only Adobe that shows up in Program Files is 'Reader'? In Programs and Features, I have Shockwave & Flashplayer as well as Reader listed. I don't get it?

Thanks.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 12:44 pm    

Chip Fossa wrote:
Wiz,

I can't seem to find the real 'free' download site for AR9.1.

And what about Adobe Shockwave Player 11?

How come the only Adobe that shows up in Program Files is 'Reader'? In Programs and Features, I have Shockwave & Flashplayer as well as Reader listed. I don't get it?

Thanks.

Here are links to the landing pages for the products you asked about:

Adobe Reader is available here
Adobe Flash is available here
Adobe Shockwave is available here

You can uninstall old versions of each through Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. For Flash and Shockwave you should go to those pages using each browser you have installed. The downloaded file is different for some browsers than others.

Reader itself contains a built-in check for updates. If you don't have Adobe Reader installed, or if there is no uninstall link for a partially installed copy, just download the latest copy and install it using the default settings.
Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 1:12 pm    

Thanks for those links, Wiz.

I did have Adobe Reader 8.'something' installed, and at first tried to upgrade. It looked like it went through, but when I rechecked 'version', it was still 8.0.

Then I read furthur in this post and uninstalled 8.0 altogether.

I did update Flash within both IE and FF, and will do the same with Shock.

Still not sure what Shock is, but I have it, cuz something I wanted to see or do required it.

Mucho appreciato Cool
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2009 1:49 pm    

Chip;
Adobe Shockwave is similar to Flash, but capable of a higher amount of detail, multimedia and interactivity. It is like Flash on steroids!

Flash is mostly used fro pretty banners and entry pages to websites, or for YouTube videos. Shockwave is used for full-blown AV presentations, or learning courses.
Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 2:01 am    

Ah-Ha. Smile