| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need to replace tuning key #6, Fender 1000 s/n 00131
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2009 9:24 am    

I need to replace the tuning key for string #6 on a Fender 1000 10-string steel, s/n 00131. The key shaft is broken off flush just where it emerges from the soap dish, leaving not even a stub to get hold of. I would prefer to replace the lower string of tuning gears and pegs for strings 6 through 10, but I would be grateful to find even a replacement single key with the shaft and gear on it. Any help would be very much appreciated, I really need to get this back in service for a friend within the next two weeks.
Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited by Dave Beaty on 4 Sep 2009 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2009 10:06 am     Photos added

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2009 8:48 am    

If you pull the pan you will find that the keys are simply Klusons mounted on a plate, with Fender-specific long, straight shafts. This should be relatively simple if you have a local guitar tech who is any good - the shaft is the unusal part, and what's broken is part of every Kluson. The tech simply needs a "donor" Kluson (most techs who have ben around for more than 5 years have a dozen or more loose ones laying around). He'll pry the cap off the back of the broken tuner, remove the shaft and gear and re-mount it with the new peg/worm gear.

I cannot recall offhand if the entire tuner can be easily removed from the plate - if not, h can just cut the plate off, add a new piece (essentially replacing the cut-off plate) to keep the tuner in the same position and put it together. I've actually discussed this scenario with a tech buddy (I have him work on stuff I don't have time to do or anything concerning printed circuit boards - I can destroy one in seconds) and he figured it was about a $25 job including the donor (which could be a Kluson clone - it's really not that critical as long as the worm fits the gear well).

Sidebar - if you have a pan with NO tuners, two sets of stock 3+3 Klusons will make up a set (you end up with a spare for each side). The stock shat just barely reaches the hole on the other side of the pan, but it is not necessary to reach the hole at all except for aesthetics. The hard part is attaching the tuners securely to the pan, and since Klusons do not have a retainer nut you really need to make a plate they can bolt onto - that brings them up just short of the hole on the other side, but beggars can't be choosers - if you don't have one or both tuner strips (or both are missing tuners completely) it's about the only choice.

The are other tuners that will fit - you have to check the measurements precisely and you will need to use retainer nuts in place of peghead ferrules often found with 6-string tuners. This reminds me - I really should go through some tuner specs and make a list of what fits!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 1:44 pm     Tuner replacement

Thanks Jim,
Great advice and very much appreciated.
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2009 10:00 pm    

I have a Fender 2000 (thanks for letting me know what I have DZ Smile, I've corrected this post) that's been cut in half. I was thinking of selling it but I thought I better not. In another 10 years it may be worth $200 Laughing

Last edited by Danny Bates on 10 Sep 2009 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 4:46 am    

Just FYI- if your Fender has a 10 string tuning pan then it's an 800 (single 10 string) or a 2000( double 10 string).
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2009 5:07 am    

Thanks for the info Dave Z. I never knew the correct model numbers of the Fender pedal steels. I've corrected my previous post to avoid any confusion.

What I have is half of a Fender 2000. BTW, I didn't butcher it, I bought it that way.