| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pacific Northwest Steel Guitar Show
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2009 12:50 pm    

There should be one!

The ones in Spokane were awesome... tho I guess not so awesome for the organizers Embarassed . Cmon people make it happen again. Im looking at you Oregon!
Smile
Eric Tingstad

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2009 2:51 pm    

I agree!

I am working on a list of all the players I know in these here parts.

It's not very big yet Smile

Eric Tingstad
Sammamish, WA
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2009 3:34 pm    

I was the main organizer for the Spokane jams except for the last one. I organized 5 jams in Spokane starting in 1996 and continuing with a couple of years missed because of work, until some of the local guys got the idea of starting an official association. I think that was around 2002 or 03.

On the 5 jams that I ran by myself, I generally called all the players, paid the venue rent for the day and paid for all the advertising. All this added up to $300 to $400. I charged $5 admit at the door and for all the 5 jams, I either broke even or came up with a little extra-of which I saved for the next jam.

As I mentioned, a couple of the steel players got an idea that it would be better financially, and would cut down the work load of one person if an association was started. This was fine and I really did not have any objection to this. Although I did not want be be the president, did not run, I was still voted to be the president of the thing.

One of my main goals in the Spokane jams was to have the venue at a hotel complex in Spokane. For most of the shows/jams, I had been renting halls. A couple of times we were at a bar and then an eagles club. I wanted to get it out of those venues into the hotel/ballroom and eventually we did. After the association started, most of the officers did not like the idea of the hotel, and wanted to go back to the bar/eagle club venue. I was against this.

Also, I wanted to bring in the super pickers that play at Dallas and St Louis, most of the officers were against this.

We did bring in several super pickers to the last 3 shows in Spokane, but there was complaints from the Dallas/St Louis pickers about the local backup musicians that we had used. Most all the complaints I did agree with. This may not make me popular with the local Spokane musicians, even though I am still playing around Spokane.
(I am not talking about when "The Strangers" came out with Norm and played. That, everyone, including myself, thought was cool!!!)

One of the main reasons why I left the association was my work schedule,just too busy.

All this is just to give some backround. I know that Wally Giffin will not do another jam unless he is totally underwritten finanicially, and I dont know if Larry Behm has any ideas of growing into a major jam in Portland. But the three of us, to my knowledge are the only ones who have ever organized a steel convention/jam in the NW.

I do still have a list of all the steel players in the NW, although now, may be out of date, I still have a data base of address' for fans that I used to send out flyers. I'm willing to share what I have.
As for the Nw Steel Guitar Association, it is not conducting jams, but I think it is still legally in existence, and those last officers would have a later data base of names then I do.

If I ever did it again, and I doubt it, I would still call in the Dallas/St Louis pickers and arrange to hire one of the convention backup bands. I would feature the local players, regional players, and then finish off with the super steel pickers. Just my 2 cents worth...Duane Becker
Jon Hyde

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2009 8:16 pm    

Duane,
Thanks so much for that response! I had the good fortune of going to the final 2 Spokane steel shows and they happened at the peak of my pedal steel enthusiasm. I'm still working on the stuff I got from JayDee! I really enjoyed those events. It's where I met Ben, who is now a good friend. I know they had to have been a real bear to put together but it's also worth noting that your really reached some folks with them. So, thanks. If you ever do put another one on, I'll be there.
Jon
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2009 11:01 am    

If you guys can get Chris Middaugh to show up I might just put my butt on a plane and show up! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.