| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Possible pickup problem
Peter Nylund

Finland
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 6:46 am    

Has anyone ever experienced a total change in tone over night. I play a Mullen RP with a George L E-66 pickup and usually I get the really fat sound that I like. But the other day when I sat down at my steel there was no bottom in the sound. I thought my amp, a SteelKing had gone bad so I took it to a tech to look over. I haven't got it back yet, but the problem is the same with a Session 500 also and every amp I tried. I even changed the pot in my volume pedal, and it did not help. The guitar has been set up in my music room at all time and there are no tone or volume pots on the guitar, just straight from pickup to the output jack. Comments please, gentlemen. Peter

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 7:59 am    

Bad pickup or a bad connection.

Whenever you experience a problem like this, plug a cord directly from the amp to the guitar, and start moving any exposed wiring. If the wiring looks okay, and if a little "jiggling" doesn't help, it's time to see someone who's got a meter that can check your pickup.
Bob Graff

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 8:28 am     pickup In Mulen RP

Peter. It's more than likley the pickup If the tone changed over night and It's the same on both amps. My Mulen Is ten years old But I have the stock PU In It and still very pleased with the tone. Check for any solder connections that may not be good. Bob Graff
Ulf Edlund

Umeå, Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2009 9:31 am    

Have you done what Donny suggests?
I'd say 99,5% of theese problems are caused by bad cords somewhere along the signal chain.
Plug direcly from guitar to amp with a cord YOU KNOW IS GOOD.
If it still doesn't sound right i would check for bad solder connections at the output jack of the guitar.
One little thread that is in contact with grounded metal somewhere is enough to drain your sound.
A covered humbucker like a George L is not likely to go bad unless you treat it really, really mean Devil
S-h-i-t happens though Oh Well
Peter Nylund

Finland
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 12:33 am    

I checked the pickup, and it was 17,5 kOhms like it should be. I checked the solderings and they appeared ok, but I did them again and voilá, IT WORKS. Thanks for all your input. Peter

Umeå, Sweden
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2009 1:32 pm    

Cool