| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any body know?
Robert Bergland

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2009 4:29 am    

Hey, this is an oddball question, but does anybody know who played steel on Stevie Nicks’ “After the Glitter Fades”? This song means a lot to me and I always wondered. The steel has this unbelievable baritone voicing that is uncharacteristic of the usual Nashville guys of that era.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=45A08DA3212CF004&search_query=stevie+nicks+after

On an unrelated note, this song has been melting my heart of late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJOyqHdOOuk

You heavy hitters all know who this is behind Miss Judy Collins (and if you don’t you should), but as a fledgling steeler this is what I wish I could do.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2009 4:36 am    

Someday Soon is Buddy Emmons and it is iconic.

I looked up the Nicks tune and turned up Dan Dugmore. If you don't know Dan, he is a heavyweight. Among his thousands of sessions, one of his best known solos is on Linda Ronstadt's cover of Blue Bayou.
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2009 6:58 am    

"Someday Soon" is from Judy Collins' "Who Knows Where The Time Goes" album. He is also on "Poor Immigrant" and "Bird On The Wire". It is the classic Emmons Push/Pull tone you'll see referred to on the Forum. Also recommended from the same period is Ray Charles "Volcanic Action Of My Soul" album and John Sebastian's "Rainbows All Over Your Blues", and "Don't Cry Now", "In My Reply"and "I Ain't Always Been Faithful" for Linda Ronstadt, for starters. All available from places like Amazon, iTunes, etc.

And most of that is on E9. His C6 work will leave you incredibly inspired, or suicidal, or both.

Anything Emmons ever played on is well worth listening to, but personally his tone from the late '60's through most of the '70's just kills me. Fortunately he has done a lot of recording. I have a lot of fun and inspiration discovering lesser known examples of his work. A YouTube search is a good place to start.

He is still a powerful player. Go to 2:21 on this clip for a recent short bit of C6:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4pVHwvb-EY&feature=PlayList&p=CD845A844718A07B&index=0&playnext=1

Learn all you can about Buddy Emmons. Among the steel guitar greats, he is arguably the most important person to play and develop of the instrument.